Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

Jimmy, the only mainstream landy shell i have found available in the UK is the defender 90 from HPI but im sure there is more. Go on Jimmy, you know you want one

Gaz, everyone to there own personally i love all the landrovers and offroading stuff and i love RC so why not combine? BTW that was a rhetorical question.
Old 15-07-2008

The CR-01 is certainly sweet.. In stock form it's not desperately capable, the biggest problem I found was the lack of rear suspension articulation and extreme top-heaviness.. My one above has the rockers removed and the Losi shell fitted and works much much better
Tamiya
HPI Racing
Old 15-07-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

I was looking at the Axial, didn't like the shell and all them plastic bits.... the CR-01 mmmmm yummy, even if it just sat on the shelf!!
Old 15-07-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKP View Post
The CR-01 is certainly sweet.. In stock form it's not desperately capable, the biggest problem I found was the lack of rear suspension articulation and extreme top-heaviness.. My one above has the rockers removed and the Losi shell fitted and works much much better
nice one! I don't know when I'll be able to get one but it's definitely in my future
Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
I don't know when I'll be able to get one but it's definitely in my future
I'll remember that lol

Cant wait to build mine and get out playing with it
Old 15-07-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
What landy shells are available? I like the CR01 mainly because it's a tamiya and looks cool! I don't mind the modified clods but they don't really appeal to me that much - I like scale stuff much more. I think I saw a Ax10 in orange? or did I dream that? I'd happily have one of those badboys but I'm leaning toward the tamiya - just gotta convince vicky its a good idea lol
The orange AX10 is the new ARTR version. For £25 more than the green kit you get it ready built but with high clearance links, nitride coated shocks, straight rear axle, a better body and Proline Hammer tyres, all of which make it a much more capable machine than the kit version.

For Land Rovers there is the HPI body, then Kamtec make a Defender which although more basic being ABS it can be detailed up nicely

Kamtec also make a Bowler Wildcat

Although the ultimate 1/10th scale body has to be this one, available here

If you fancy scale stuff and trial trucks rather than all out competition crawlers although http://www.rccrawler.com has a dedicated scale section the site you need to look at is http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/index.php just check out some of the trucks in their top builds section
Old 16-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

At the last one in that post, the blue one.
Old 16-07-2008
Administrator

Yeah I went on a hunt for that Landy body a while ago and the only place I could find it was a shop in Japan that didn't seem to speak English - or in fact Japanese since I got my coworker to email them to try buy one

What sort of chassis' would that hard landy body fit on - of course the XC but are there any others that would suit?
Old 16-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
What sort of chassis' would that hard landy body fit on - of course the XC but are there any others that would suit?
I think it would look ace on the scale like homemade frame chassis's or any 1.9, like the hi-lift ect.
Old 16-07-2008
Administrator

Where do people usually use these badboys then? on specially designed 'courses' or laid out on natural features etc..?

How about the cow and calf rocks in Ilkley?

Old 16-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Jimmy that looks perfect, great location for it. Im going to ue mine anywhere, i have lots and lots of rock in my garden from when we lined the pond with it so im making my own personal course. I also think boulder sea defences look good like at Scarbrough, and more locally to me runswick bay and whitby.
Old 16-07-2008
Administrator

Once I've convinced vicky to let me have one (probably by selling some stuff first) we'll have to have a bit of a northern crawl The tamiya looks awesome but the AX10 is probably better and is certainly cheaper - oh hum.
Old 16-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Haha, regional crawling?!

With being out n about in the country alot there looks to be some amazing places close to me for it, cant wait now, i just wish the postal service would get this bloody car to me!
Old 16-07-2008
Administrator

The place I go for review photos would be pretty good
Old 16-07-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
The obvious choice of chassis is the XC but as the width is standard touring car size a TA-02/Hummer?Cayenne chassis could be adjusted to suit. XCs are used as they give decent articulation, although it would be easy to fabricate a crawler chassis from TLT axles or even an AX10. I should have measured the wheelbase of the body when I had got one for somebody.

In a similar way I'm trying to fit one of these Discovery bodies on a TA-02 chassis as they are also usually mounted on an XC like this one.
Old 16-07-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Where do people usually use these badboys then? on specially designed 'courses' or laid out on natural features etc..?
Wherever you like really. The most well known place is Black Rocks in derbyshire (scale trucks and comp crawlers-be amazed!) and it was used at last years nationals, here's what the easier course for the 2.2s looked like http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...=64766&sid=169.

This year we hired a centre used for full size bike trials, so lots of natural rock through the woods on private land to crawl over. http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...=77497&sid=297

Quite a few people have extended 'rockeries' in their garden, just so they can crawl over them. I have Windgather Rocks near Whaley Bridge as a test site, the rocks lean back so one day I'll have to have a go at trying to crawl up the thing. A northern crawl meet might be an idea, there's already a group of us in the North West who are always up for a meet.
Old 16-07-2008
Lee-Mag

That is cool and it looks fun, but how do you get penalty points, can you use reverse?

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 16-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
That is cool and it looks fun, but how do you get penalty points, can you use reverse?
Reverse, rollovers, assited forward progress; stuff like that
Old 16-07-2008
Mad Member

Here's the rules we run to in the UK
http://www.ukrcrc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1739

To get a clean run you have to keep going forwards at all times. Rolling over by falling off the course can be a big points hit so it's useful if you have a technique to get back on your wheels.

Notice the complete lack of construction rules
Old 16-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Bet place to post it in.

How the hell do you get the yokes onto the propshafts on the AX-10!!!???? Just by looking at it, it looks like there is no possible way to get that pin into the holes on the propshafts. Wouldnt it have been easier with a removable pin in the UJ captured by a grub screw?