Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 28-11-2019

Default Big Bore shock setup.

Hi All,

Appologies if this is a silly question but i am trying to find out what people are using for internal limiters in the big bore shocks. I am trying out various setups on the Laydown and most setup sheets state the use of internal limiters. Do Schumacher supply a kit for various size limiters to fit the shocks or do you have to use something else?
Old 29-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spils77 View Post
Hi All,

Appologies if this is a silly question but i am trying to find out what people are using for internal limiters in the big bore shocks. I am trying out various setups on the Laydown and most setup sheets state the use of internal limiters. Do Schumacher supply a kit for various size limiters to fit the shocks or do you have to use something else?
I use orings
Old 29-11-2019
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevg57 View Post
I use orings
m3 washers or spacers, orings can cause extra stiction, if you look in the manuals they use a washer
Old 29-11-2019

Quote:
Hi All,

Schumacher sell in there speed secret section washers that are perfect for this application
Old 29-11-2019

Thanks for the reply's

So I guess i can use the spacer washers which go under the ball joints part no U3131 as they are sized from 0.5, 1.0 & 2mm.

And I presume you just slide the washers onto the shock shaft and they sit inside the shock body?
Old 29-11-2019

Quote:
Thanks for the reply's

So I guess i can use the spacer washers which go under the ball joints part no U3131 as they are sized from 0.5, 1.0 & 2mm.

And I presume you just slide the washers onto the shock shaft and they sit inside the shock body?
That’s exactly it.
Old 29-11-2019

Cheers for your help guys.

Just wanted to make sure I was using the right parts as I dont want to scoure/damage the shock shaft.
Your help is very much appriciated
Old 02-12-2019

Mainly on the laydown the internal limiters are used for the front shocks. limiting them gives more on power steering as it stops the front lifting as much on power.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 02-12-2019

I've used inside limiters in every shock I've built. We did this back in the day for every shock we built.

First you can only do this if the instructions say thread the eyelet onto the end of the shock entirely. Because we will be robbing a bit of the thread inside the eyelet here, and too little makes it more prone to failure.

The majority of shocks have about 7mm of thread. More than plenty if you are a competent driver and don't hit things.

If you can, add 2mm spacers (more, if you are instructed to add any by the manual) in the shock, under the piston, before fitting the piston in the shock.

Now when you build the rest of the shock leave 2mm of thread showing, above the eyelet.

The overall length of the shock then isn't affected and you are running the kit setup.

If you need or want to add droop to the setup, thread out the eyelet by 0.5, 1 or 2mm. If you want to limit the droop more, thread in the eyelet so there's less than 2mm of thread showing.

Note - adding droop is rare, but if you do, and it improves the handling, you're advised to go into the shock and add it as a spacer, and thread the eyelet in to the 2mm mark again.

This lets you test it without making massive shock changes at the track.

I also fit an old o-ring on the outside of the shock shaft. If the shock ever lands hard off a jump, it's a little give, before the bottom of the shock hits the eyelet. Combination of the two - I've never lost an eyelet from a shock shaft.
Old 03-12-2019

Thank you Donutt for the time and effort you have put into this great write up. This has given me a much better understanding of the process involved and will aid me alot when setting up the shocks on my car.

Very much appreciated
Old 03-12-2019