Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 24-01-2017
Mad Member

Default 22 4.0

So eveyone is now doing 2 car types dirt and carpet apart from tlr so when do we reckon they will jump on the band wagon?
Old 24-01-2017

They already do really. You can only buy a dirt version and have to buy a laydown conversion to get a carpet car.

XFactory UK : DMS Model Car Club
Old 24-01-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
They already do really. You can only buy a dirt version and have to buy a laydown conversion to get a carpet car.
Yes but even that has now changed to a dirt laydown

I mean 2 separate cars
Old 24-01-2017
Mad Member

There are still the carpet laydown and the dirt laydown gearbox options (with the former being optimised for lower ride heights via the HRC front end mod and the special alloy rear hubs, the latter being run with the "kit" front end and rear hubs).

IMO the logical trend would be to try and create a modular chassis with easy to fit and inexpensive options to optimise for a variety of conditions rather than tailoring for specific track types and conditions. I think that this is broadly what Schumacher are trying to achieve with their new 2wd platform...
Old 24-01-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by /tobys View Post
There are still the carpet laydown and the dirt laydown gearbox options (with the former being optimised for lower ride heights via the HRC front end mod and the special alloy rear hubs, the latter being run with the "kit" front end and rear hubs).

IMO the logical trend would be to try and create a modular chassis with easy to fit and inexpensive options to optimise for a variety of conditions rather than tailoring for specific track types and conditions. I think that this is broadly what Schumacher are trying to achieve with their new 2wd platform...
The first release of the laydown conversion is being discontinued though so unless you already have it your screwed
Old 24-01-2017
Mad Member

yeah its a shame for some folks, especially those that just run on carpet or indoor astro; I think their (TLR) reasoning is that that the dirt laydown conversion covers a wider range of track conditions than the original laydown (which is very challenging in anything but high grip conditions).

So its probably a good move overall by TLR. I've not seen the cost of the new conversion but I don't think you get the alloy rear hubs so if its the same price, its a poorer deal for the racer.

I would like to get a Dirt Laydown gearbox but they a) never seem to be in stock and b) are so expensive (similar cost to the Exotek alloy gearbox I think).
Old 26-01-2017
Mad Member

One way to screw over your resellers is to do things like this

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...odID=TLR231064

Sounds like people will be holding off buying 22 3.0 if it's due April
Old 29-01-2017
Mad Member

whats due April I must be missing something on the TLR website?

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 29-01-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
whats due April I must be missing something on the TLR website?
It got pull said it was a 22 4.0 chassis
Old 02-02-2017
Mad Member

Got to be coming or why would the stop selling something they've only just brought out

Old 02-03-2017
Mad Member

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/autoonline/j29_tlr/j29_kits/tlr03013/tlr-22-4.html

Last edited by mes; 03-03-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2017
Mad Member

Not really a shock
Annoying tho
Old 02-03-2017
Mad Member

As I sold my 3.0 a while ago instead of investing in one of the rather expensive laydown gearbox options and currently do not have a 2WD buggy, I cannot say that I am annoyed by TLR's announcement of the 4.0, which will likely not hit the shelves before May. Had they decided to give the 22T 3.0 the treatment they gave to the buggy, I most probably would not have gone for the Xray as quite a few of my racing buddies drive a fleet of TLR cars and trucks. If I had bought the 3.0 and put in one of those pricey gearboxes only recently, I would be annoyed for sure, though.
Other than that, TLR did a great job by addressing virtually everything I disliked on the 3.0. With the addition of the gear diff in th kit, they would have scored a 10/10 in my book. I had already thrown an eye on the Cougar KC, but now I seem to be crosseyed!
Old 03-03-2017

4.0 = 3.0 as it should have been from the start
Old 09-03-2017
Mad Member

Not much excitement for this then?
Old 09-03-2017
Mad Member

If you are running on a slippery track regularly and/or prefer to let your car roll rather than brake hard before entering a turn, you might actually like the 4-gear, but if you are looking for more on-power steering and corner speed, I doubt it will help you.
If you are looking for corner speed an are a die-hard TLR/Losi fan, I'd say wait for the 4.0 and don't put too much money into the 3.0 any more. Other than that you could be happy with YZ-2 CA, Schumacher KC or the like right now. I really found test drives helpful in the past, in fact a test ride made me buy the YZ-2 when I was set not to buy a new kit for another half year or so back in the day...
Old 29-04-2017
Mad Member

Some of Horizon Germany's team drivers got their 4.0 kits already and I was lucky to grab the transmitter of one of them today a couple of times and tinker a littlw with the car in the pits. Apart from the springs and gear diff, the 22 initially was box stock. After some adjustments and adding the servo weight and 20 g of sticky weights behind the motor, the car was really great to drive, easy and fast. When the time is ripe for another 2WD, this kit is definitely on my shortlist!
Old 29-04-2017

Built one today for a friend who wanted it done but didn't have the time.

My first time building a Losi kit. Goes together nice and looks a good piece of kit. Diff slightly notchy but hopefully that will go after a few runs. Happy days.

Nick Priest

http://www.midlandsraceway.co.uk/

http://model-car-racer.co.uk

For the best PERMANENT Indoor Off Road circuit in the West Midlands.
Old 04-05-2017

A notchy diff from a 4.0 kit could be due to the bearing not seating correctly on the out-drive.

It seems like there was a bad batch of out-drives as I have heard of multiple people having the same issue...