Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

View Poll Results: What is your preference for racing surface indoors
EOS carpet with wooden features 15 23.08%
Recycled astro turf with sand infill and wooden features on a flat surface 2 3.08%
Recycled astro turf with sand infill and wooden features on a profiled surface 20 30.77%
Dirt 12 18.46%
New astro turf without sand infill and wooden features on a flat surface 15 23.08%
None of the above - give us your suggestions in the comments below please 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2016

Dirt for sure
Go against the carpet/astro grain!
It's what the cars are made for
Old 09-11-2016

For what it's worth, in my experience ,over many years, far more people race indoors, during the winter months , than race outdoors during the summer months.! I don't know why, but it always seems the case.
Therefore, just concentrate on a great indoor facility and don't consider it as just a practice area for outdoor racing.
So, although a fully carpeted area is good and gives massive grip, in my view, the most enjoyable, and satisfying to drive, is a multi surface area, combining, grippy, carpet, sections and slippy, wood or indoor tile, sections.
Although a dirt track "appears" to be popular, it can be quite high maintenance and difficult to get right, as well as being less popular due to being dirty and different cars /set up required.
So, go for multi surface..!
Team Associated B4.2
RC10 Worlds
Old 10-11-2016

I would go for New astro turf without sand infill and wooden features on a profiled surface. Everyone's going EOS carpet. Personally I'd rather race on astro ready for the outdoor season.

Modelsport UK Race Team | Schumacher KC
Old 10-11-2016

I think it's safe to say that whatever you decide upon, some people won't be happy with it, others will be......

Whatever you end up using, just do it the best you can. At the end of the day, every track is different. Sand filled astro is not the same from one track to another. It's similar,....but not the same.

Indoors is a bit easier, due to not having to deal with weather changing the surface.

Personally, I would steer clear of anything that is going to give you more work to do.

Dirt - Lots of maintenance (Just look at the USA tracks and what they have to do to keep the surface consistent throughout a race meeting)
Sandy Astro - Outdoors, fine. Indoors, you'll just end up with loads of sand to clear up.

New Astro/Carpet - Virtually maintenance free, lots of grip and no one complaining about dirty cars or sand in their diff

My only suggestion is that you cover the jumps with the same surface. Whatever that surface is, keep it consistent. Wooden faced jumps are a nightmare IF you aren't a totally consistent driver.

Good post dude

CML - Team Associated - Reedy - Savox - Nuclear RC - Schumacher Racing

CML UK Team Driver - Team Associated B6.1 - T6.1 - B64 - B6
A State Of RC podcast presenter
www.astateofrc.com
[url]https://www.facebook.com/groups/483687655122491/[url]

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQ..._as=subscriber
Old 10-11-2016

Steer clear of sand...clean Astro surely if you're indoors?

Re features, if you cover them then do them in a different colour, makes a massive difference to spotting take off etc especially on quick sections.