Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 30-01-2014

Default old 12th cars

i have dug out my 10yr old ae rc12L3,bumped up to b/l with a 1s lipo,car weighs in at 780gms,realistically,what chances do i have against the modern 12th cars with side dampers? mine will get its first meeting in over 10 yrs this friday,only a very small club race,i currently race an xray t4 14,it didnt get a lot of use back then so its still like new ,im only doing it for fun and not the competion,i have my t4 14 for that,just curious to know if any one else does the same
Old 30-01-2014

Default "Older Cars"

Hi, I lovingly restored my RC12L4 and used it once, I was surprised considering the cost of the new cars. I also restored my rear motored MR4TC which is prob 14yrs old isn and it drifts like a new car, I do look after my gear but I agree the old cars still handle and can compete with the right driver... which is not me haha.

ps - Mid Clear-out, The wife realised I had over 20 cars!!!!! Yeh I guess I wore out the phrase "Forgiveness is far easier than permission" hence the clear-out
Old 31-01-2014
Mad Member

It depends on what motor you are running. The lower the power, the more chance you stand. In 13.5 it should be pretty decent, in 10.5 you will lose quite a bit in the turns and in Modified I would squirt it on the straight and stay out of people's way on the infield!

If you run a 13.5 you will have the time of your life getting used to a car that actually has some grip and goes where it is pointed - the trick being to point it in the right place! I'd recommend using JFT C30 rears and C30 fronts (or Jaco/CRC yellow rear and double-pink fronts) and use Spider Grip Green additive. JFT and Spider Grip from Zen Racing, everything else from AMC. Enjoy!