Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 02-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayce View Post
There is none, it's just the low maintenance option for those that don't maintain their cars that don't notice the benefits of a balldiff.
I totally disagree with you here!! gear diff gives a totally different feel and will aid rotation if it is built and set properly... standard diff's are good if kept on top off but gear diff is loads more consistent and as darren says most occasional racers will love the fact they dont have to rebuild it and then adjust it... 1 less thing to do track side
Old 02-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Boyle View Post
And for those who "dont" wish to run diff oils and constantly change them to suit conditions/driving style, "metal gear grease" will work just fine. Serious racers will use oils (and/or ball diffs of course) occasionl or club racers or even bashers may well prefer a standard "fit and forget" grease (as supplied in the RTR's).....

We have had a 40/60 split of customers wanting to just build the diff "once" and never see it again (thats the 40%) and if that suits them what is wrong with that?

Early indications form Losi were that it was not even going to be a sealed unit when it arrived which would have meant grease only but as it turns out they deciedd to make it sealed.
if they dont want control ove how it handles then fine.

but if they want a solution where they can put it in and leave it then losi is not the way to go. certainly not when it comes to their diffs! every losi gear diff i have had cooks whatever is in it within 10 minutes.

I used to have 4 sets of diffs for race days. even the 3 for 5 minute qualies were black inside after just 5 minutes.
Old 02-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by s22jgs View Post
if they dont want control ove how it handles then fine.

but if they want a solution where they can put it in and leave it then losi is not the way to go. certainly not when it comes to their diffs! every losi gear diff i have had cooks whatever is in it within 10 minutes.

I used to have 4 sets of diffs for race days. even the 3 for 5 minute qualies were black inside after just 5 minutes.

Its not the diffs that let down my racing, its my driving

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/b4sloth01/
Old 02-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4 Sloth View Post
Its not the diffs that let down my racing, its my driving
lol im not saying they let me down... im saying that even with metal gear grease, the perception that you can just install and then forget a losi gear diff is extremely far from the truth
Old 02-12-2011

I'll remain positive until it proves otherwise. Everything else has been bulletproof.

Old 03-12-2011

I just built it, can't wait to try it next week!!!
Old 03-12-2011

is there anywere in the uk you can get the 22 gear diff ?
Old 03-12-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryer-evo View Post
is there anywere in the uk you can get the 22 gear diff ?
Any Losi stockest should be able to get you one, and I dare say Darren at DMS has lots of them waiting just for you.

Mine gets it's first runs tomorrow, should be interesting.
Old 04-12-2011

Send a message via MSN to TKG26

pick mine up monday, racing it wed
Old 04-12-2011

Brought one last night from dms so what sort of oil should i get for it I run on astro and carpet high grip
Old 04-12-2011

Just build mine up yesterday, gonna try it out today at the local track.

i race on a very high grip astroturf track, but the weather may cause some rain so i assume its gonna be slippery.

build it up with 1500 wt oil to start, and go from there.

only downside ive seen so far is the use of 0-rings instead of bearings on the drive cups. its feels it has some resistance because of it, but i guess after one pack this should go away.

im not so great with building balldiffs myself, and im used to geardiffs.
consistency should be allot better, but on a high grip astrotrack i must first see if it drives better. i hear a ball diff seems easier to drive...?

but the less maintenance is by far the no. 1 reason i got the geardiff.
Old 05-12-2011

Over the weekend ive tested the gear diff with a #2000wt at an outdoor track. Condition changes from wet to dry over the day due to rain on the night before. and this is just my simple newbie conclusion;
Geardiff = for those weekend bashers that just simply wanna have fun without having to sit in the pit more then spending time on the track
Balldiff = serious racers that wanna get that podium finish
Old 05-12-2011

So you didn't like it what did it do to the car for handaling and did you try any different oils in it ?
Old 05-12-2011

Surely on a 2wd car it is not going to make sooo much difference? Or am i wrong?

I mean, once decided on your weight oil are you really gonna change that much? I know that once i have a diff set right it is set right. Nice lightish oils for most i would have thought, its not a 4wd after all and certainly not got the grunt of nitro where it may be more important.

Old 05-12-2011

will probably get lighter oils such as 1500wt or 1000wt.. but thats just for fine tuning and making it easier to drive. currently im happy with the #2000wt oil setup just the car suffers abit on exiting corners. will do try keep an update here as i go along..
bottom line, geardiff is a worth to buy for those lazy asses like me. n i keep myself busy on other parts of the car now
Old 05-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoarGeez View Post
will probably get lighter oils such as 1500wt or 1000wt.. but thats just for fine tuning and making it easier to drive. currently im happy with the #2000wt oil setup just the car suffers abit on exiting corners. will do try keep an update here as i go along..
bottom line, geardiff is a worth to buy for those lazy asses like me. n i keep myself busy on other parts of the car now
The car suffering on corner exit is not diff related. It's poor car design leading to too much camber gain caused by too much body roll. Or at least that's the next theory we are testing with mine anyway
Old 06-12-2011

That's interesting cause I've noticed too 22 suffers of excessive body roll exiting corners (carpet) it seems nearly impossible to calm down this, I tried diferent camber angles, camber gain, but not satisfied. It turns and then it seems to stop for a while elevating internal wheel. I know this is a diff 3d but however....
Old 06-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mau View Post
That's interesting cause I've noticed too 22 suffers of excessive body roll exiting corners (carpet) it seems nearly impossible to calm down this, I tried diferent camber angles, camber gain, but not satisfied. It turns and then it seems to stop for a while elevating internal wheel. I know this is a diff 3d but however....
Tried putting your shocks all the way out on the arms?

Spektrum DX4R Pro - TLR 22 2.0 & TLR 22-4 - Absima

Team Smallsize
Old 06-12-2011

Tried standing the shocks up on tower or stiffer spring's? also shorter camber link on rear? a diff wont change direction change on a car but lighter diff oil will help it rotate and will give me grip
Old 06-12-2011

Hi, I'm not a newbie so tried camber links (short/long) and of course shocks positions.
The problem is more due to excessive grip I suppose will try with a swaybar.

A diff can help turning too, if the inside rear wheel has not traction (due to it's lifted) and the outside has the load and the diff is too light the car has no traction.

Thanks guys, will try something and be back however I agree that on high grip tracks a gear diff will suffer less than a standard ball diff.