Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 16-12-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandchris View Post
But this then is a double edged sword.
Yep 100% agreed, I was just trying to bring the other side of the story to quincey's experience
Old 16-12-2014
Mad Member

I sympathise with Chris Ashland's view on letting people pass when being lapped. It has to be one of the simplest rules in all motor racing - pass on the inside; be passed on the inside. One almost never hears it.

In qualifying, both drivers need to slow down. The driver being passed needs to move to the outside and slow down, and the driver passing needs to move to the inside and slow down. You need complete control of the car to avoid a collision and to account for the fact that neither driver is gong to be millimetre perfect on track position.

IME, the passing driver fails to slow down, misses the apex by a country mile, collides with the other driver who is doing their best and then asks others to learn to drive! In qualifying, it is important that both cars slow down, even if for a fraction of a second, in order to give both drivers the best chance of qualifying high. When it comes to a final, then being lapped means pull over and virtually park your car to let the faster driver through!

When both drivers slow down and execute a clean pass, then both get the chance to stay closer to the racing line and get a better time. It helps if you call to the other driver and tell them what you are going to do, but that isn't always possible. Practice passing and being passed on a club night.
Old 17-12-2014

I don't think it is just the "xbox generation". The "nintendo and sega" generation are guilty of this too..
Old 17-12-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
I sympathise with Chris Ashland's view on letting people pass when being lapped. It has to be one of the simplest rules in all motor racing - pass on the inside; be passed on the inside. One almost never hears it.

In qualifying, both drivers need to slow down. The driver being passed needs to move to the outside and slow down, and the driver passing needs to move to the inside and slow down. You need complete control of the car to avoid a collision and to account for the fact that neither driver is gong to be millimetre perfect on track position.

IME, the passing driver fails to slow down, misses the apex by a country mile, collides with the other driver who is doing their best and then asks others to learn to drive! In qualifying, it is important that both cars slow down, even if for a fraction of a second, in order to give both drivers the best chance of qualifying high. When it comes to a final, then being lapped means pull over and virtually park your car to let the faster driver through!

When both drivers slow down and execute a clean pass, then both get the chance to stay closer to the racing line and get a better time. It helps if you call to the other driver and tell them what you are going to do, but that isn't always possible. Practice passing and being passed on a club night.
Thank you - that is helpful advice.

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 17-12-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair View Post
I don't think it is just the "xbox generation". The "nintendo and sega" generation are guilty of this too..
Some of us from the 'Saga' generation aren't blameless either!
Old 17-12-2014
Mad Member

Its simply what you are taught. My son is only 11 and he has better race craft than a lot of 'grown ups'

At my local club everyone gets a gentle reminder if they are not playing ball. If not we stick them in the beginners heat
Old 17-12-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatmix View Post
Its simply what you are taught. My son is only 11 and he has better race craft than a lot of 'grown ups'

At my local club everyone gets a gentle reminder if they are not playing ball. If not we stick them in the beginners heat
What, so they can show the beginners how it's done? A punishment requiring a re-think perhaps...?
Old 17-12-2014

You cannot blame the kids. My son is 12 and has an xBox, Wii and Nintendo DS and is a much more courteous driver than I am at 41
Old 17-12-2014

Arrow

The guy being lapped shouldnt affect the pace of the guy coming past at all really, so id disagree they should both slow down, obviously sometimes in awkward places you may have to buy generally...
Old 18-12-2014

I think there has always been good and bad drivers in this great hobby of ours.
I do think for young drivers coming into the hobby it's too easy to get all the power and speed of top drivers without the experience of learning the basics first. If you look at 1/10th buggys for example you used to start with a basic kit with manual speed controllers, 1300 batteries and silver can motors. The majority of clubs at the time ran stock motor rules and as your kit broke you would upgrade step by step. Now you go go as fast as an old 16 turn motor using fairly basic brushless and Lipo cells.
Its great the hobby is cheaper and people are not at a disadvantage because they can't get team cells.
The down side is what use to be the old "all the gear and no idea" setup but without the outlay of cash.
I love watching the New drivers learning, but recently the speed and quantity of crashes is slightly worrying.
I don't know how you get around these problems, just my personal observations.

2nd is 1st placed loser!!

Old 19-12-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
What, so they can show the beginners how it's done? A punishment requiring a re-think perhaps...?
Let me explain it a little more

The beginners are all taught good driving standards at our club. They learn that if you do not show good race craft that you stay in that heat, no matter how fast you are. If a driver in a higher heat persistently shows that they are not driving fairly they go back into a lower heat.

Its a clear message, its fair and it doesn't let anyone be too big for their boots. That is probably why the club has been successful for a long time (30+ years) with a great atmosphere, a large range of drivers young and old and good overall driving standards.

Last edited by qatmix; 19-12-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 18-01-2015

I have raced on and off for many years now and always taken the enjoyment from it being my hobby and building the car then racing it.
Myself as a parent would never teach my children to come 2 nd or last but there is a sense that racing and doing it the right way to get the full enjoyment is something clubs should look at.

I have seen many adults take the hobby far to seriously and remember being shouted at by a 30 year when I was 14. I think adults have a responsablity to lead be example and hope the young guys take note and clubs should play a big part in that also.

I totally agree with what a lot of mark says because I have had my car badly damaged twice now and once before my final were I then couldn't take part and was parked on my grid place. I am quite a chilled person tho and think surly simple basic rules from clubs would help....
Old 20-01-2015

I am one of the slow driving 30 years old that has tagged the old young back marker even though I have shouted yellow car lapping blue care etc and tried to slow down enough to to give them time to move out of the way.

It is frustrating to tag them as you lose time and lose your position. If someone is lapping me I go wide off the racing line the check who behind me before continuing on.
Old 20-01-2015

Personally I don't think its a generation issue.

I see awesome fair driving from 6 year olds, and 60 year olds alike.

Likewise I see proper **** standards from 6 year olds and 60 year olds alike.

It is also not a level of driver issue. I see complete muppets behind the sticks that fall into both the above categories. I also see some of the worlds top drivers falling into both categories.

The simple fact of the matter is some people have respect for those they are racing with. Others, couldnt give a crap about them, or how much it might cost someone to repair the car they just shunted off the track.
Old 20-01-2015

As above, this is not an age-related issue at all. Much like their 1:1 versions, you get good and bad at all ages with RC. I 'retired' from racing around 11 years ago, after a good stint of 1/10 off-road and then moving into TC's apanning around 13 years. I came out of retirement around 18 months ago in TC's, kicking buggies back off last year and now just about to move into GT12. In that time, standards have changed fairly dramatically.

As with a lot of the above, when I started as a lowly 11-12 year old, it was drummed into you that you gave way to faster cars, looked ahead (this one is a major gripe of mine at the moment), and treated the other cars with respect, and generally thats what happened. My dad was one of the first to jump on me if I started to get reckless. Now i've come back and started to work my way back up from the bottom of the pack i've noticed more and more issues.....and they tend to be with the faster drivers of all ages. As I moved up through the lower ranks, I found a couple of 'problem drivers', but these were normally passed off with a quick apology - sometimes both ways if it was hard to determine who was at fault - and we carried on. As I've got nearer the top end of the field at club level, i've found a certain cluster of drivers who seems to resent the fact that you have started intefering in their races. These all have the same traits....impatient when it comes to lapping, often barging through on their line without thought to tracking you for a few corners to give you an opportunity to move; what can only be described as hatred should you ever actually get in front of them (or attempt to) which involves them wiping you out at the first opportunity; and my major gripe, the inability to look past the nose of their car. When I 'learnt' to race, I was always told to keep an eye on the track ahead, mainly to save yourself if someone crashes. That doesnt seem to happen now, and you're expected to shout if you have crashed to warn oncoming cars.....now, as much as I find this makes some sort of sense, what ever happened to being able to see these crashed cars BEFORE you got close enough to hit them?!? I can't be the only one to still look ahead far enough to change line before I get there?!?!
Old 20-01-2015

I was at Torbay TRAC this Sunday gone for round 4, and enjoyed some really clean races both with drivers I know and people I don't. Age or generation isn't really a thing, there was 80+ cars racing that day with drivers from 10yrs old to possibly late 60's.

Everyone's experience will be different, even at the same event, but the average level of race craft I felt was really good. Don't recall getting tangled up with anyone when lapping or being lapped.

I've only got back into racing in the last few months and no doubt still have a mountain to learn, but being aware of what happens infront of you and keeping a mental note of different racers positions helps keep it clean for sure.