Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 06-04-2014

Default Poor steering, please help!

Hi guys

I have a DEX210, I am having problems getting it to turn, it just keeps pushing wide, both on and off power and I'm not sure where to start.

I already have a 30g weight under the servo. Over winter I've been running at 2 events, one full carpet and the other a mix of carpet & wooden floor, it really struggles on the wood but as my speed has increased I'm noticing how hard it is to keep a good line even on the full carpet. At the same speed through tight turns, other drivers are able to literally drive up the inside and I can do nothing but push wide.

I've attached my current setup sheet, I've recently shortened the wheel base (from max) but didnt make any real difference.

Setup sheet: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6771066/MySetup.pdf
Old 06-04-2014

Really 6.5?

What tires?

the first thing I noticed was how soft the front spring your running is! I run nothing softer than kit anywhere, try front axle mid or high (1 washer either side or 2 underneath) and more inline, I found trailing shoved on then turned at the last minute, fully inline should make it fairly aggressive and if you are running 3mm trailing? you've got the spacers wrong it should be 3 at the back 1 at the front!

http://www.team-durango.com/in-the-p...rticle_id=4518
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 06-04-2014

Try 2000 or 3000 in the diff. I notice this does a lot.

also its recomended to use 3 mm behind the c hub when running 3mm trailing.
you run 1 mm.

Just a thing to try, on the rear you run short camber links, on the front long.
i usualy thy to keep this the same front and back. (or close)

is this a high grip track? and what tires do u run?
Old 06-04-2014

Hi,

I used to run a DEX210 and found it was particularly sensitive to the anti-squat and diff oil settings. If yours is pushing I would recommend going down to 2000 and even 1000 cst diff oil to improve rear rotation mid corner, but also increase your anti squat (kick-up) as this will improve the on power corner exit grip.

Decreasing the front axle trail to around 1 will liven the front end up in feel. Removing the weight will actually improve the initial turn in grip, so may want to try that too, as less weight gives less inertia, but if your mid corner grip is ok you may want to try this after the other stuff.

If you don't ask, you'll never know!
Old 06-04-2014

Thanks guys

I do run a 6.5 but its massively de-tuned. No boost/turbo and only 75% on the transmitter. It's a real pussy cat

Tyres are low profile cut staggers up front and mini pins on all carpet, and some mini spikes on the carpet/wood flooring.

To be honest, I've got a little lost with messing with things, making changes but not really seeing any real improvement or major setback so just left them.

I was due to try some lower cst oil in the diff, but I'm in the process of rebuilding a ball diff, so had hoped to use that.

I dont have any major problems with rear grip, seems to get out of the corners as good as most.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll make the adjustments.
Old 06-04-2014

I'm not sure cut stag's are an ideal choice for indoor carpet or wood floors pin's all round will be faster but spikes are safer, I personally find pins too savage on carpet unless I start cutting row's off.
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 07-04-2014

Right, I've made some amendments and I'll see how it goes on Weds

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...6/MySetup1.pdf
Old 07-04-2014

What kind of carpet is it thick office style or more like ozite? What battery are you using a shorty, stick or saddle? I'm not a fan of 6 hole piston's the pro's never use them anymore. I would go with a 4 hole 1.3's all around if you use a shorty if you use a stick or saddle then go 4 hole 1.2's in the rear. I've run on ozite and carpet for years. If its a smaller track the short chassis is better if its a big track plus 8 is better.

Here's my local track on ozite I run the short chassis my 210 is the one that's in the video white, yellow, blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g1h8...6BcSLtQUy6fANg
Old 07-04-2014

I wud recommend a shorty, and move it to the front and rear and see were works best for you,

your shocks seem weird, i really like 1.6*3, 50wt, dark green/black spring front - 1.7*3, 30wt, light blue

a lot of pros run that sort of setup at the minute and maybe bring the front shocks out to the outside on the tower!
Old 07-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaMight View Post
Hi guys

I have a DEX210, I am having problems getting it to turn, it just keeps pushing wide, both on and off power and I'm not sure where to start.

I already have a 30g weight under the servo. Over winter I've been running at 2 events, one full carpet and the other a mix of carpet & wooden floor, it really struggles on the wood but as my speed has increased I'm noticing how hard it is to keep a good line even on the full carpet. At the same speed through tight turns, other drivers are able to literally drive up the inside and I can do nothing but push wide.

I've attached my current setup sheet, I've recently shortened the wheel base (from max) but didnt make any real difference.

Setup sheet: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6771066/MySetup.pdf
I would try using inline steering since you are on carpet. Inline gives better off-power steering while trailing is better on-power coming out of the exit. Also run 3 antisquat since carpet is fairly smooth which again gives you more off power steering. Also heavier rear spring like Black or Dark Red.
Also your oil weights and pistons are too light. Light oil makes your car get more grip and feel sluggish. Also you can give Chet's setup a go, or download Hupos setup from EOS which also works pretty good.
Old 08-04-2014

Thanks for the info guys. I dont have a huge amount of spares, so I was thinking on the this shock/piston/oil setup for tomorrow night:

Front:
Stock front springs (Dark blue I think)
300cst oil
1.4x4 piston

Rear:
Stock rear springs (Light blue)
300cst oil
1.2x4 piston

I run a full lengh stick lipo, but is set pretty far forward. Any other suggestions based on what else I have? I've got 200,300&400cst oils & 1.2mm&1.4mm.

I have ordered a dark red rear spring & 3000cst diff oil.
Old 08-04-2014

1.4x4 pistons is similar to 1.6x3. Given that piston hole size and comparing some of setup from the pro drivers, they are using somewhere around 450 in the front and 400 in the rear. 300 is way too light for carpet.

Why do you run so soft in the front on carpet? The car will end up having tons of LOW speed steering when you are off throttle, and the front will lift giving you no steering anytime you touch the throttle.

Whereas if you are using 1.2x4 pistons, then the oil range is somewhat close.

Why don't you start with Craig or Hupos setup and go from there?

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango..._GenericSetup/

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango/setupdex210/DEX210_HubertHonigl_Dortmund2013041314/
Old 08-04-2014

I was looking at this setup: http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango...ay20130113.pdf

Wooden flooring with carpet. Setup has fairly light oil, 30 front & 27.5 rear, which according to CoreRC conversion chart is 300cst and probably about 275cst.

I can go for 400 (39wt) all round and see what happens, if you think thats a better match for the piston and spring setup I have.
Old 08-04-2014
Mad Member

Take the weight out from under the servo...

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 10-04-2014

Hi guys

I went for the this setup in the end: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...6/MySetup2.pdf

The car went much better and had much better turning than before. I didnt remove the 30g weight in the end, but I've got that to try for next time, plus some light red rear springs, also I'll put some 3000cst diff oil in.

I've got time to make more adjustments so any suggestions, I'm all ears