Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 26-12-2005

Send a message via MSN to nick oliver
Default New owner! anyone got good std set up

Hi to all,
Pettry much as the title said, Got my Kyosho for crimbo an its all bulit now with elec's an just wondering has anyone got a gd std set up for astro/grass - carpet??? as this would be much helpful , Could anyone be able to tell me where you have been getting your kyosho wheels from too please :roll:
Many Thanks Nick.
Oswestry RCC
Old 26-12-2005
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Nick.

Until further testing / racing outdoors, my preferred set up is:

Put the ZX-5 in the boot and run the BJ !

Seriously, this is such a new kit and i've read / seen various setups (indoors in my experience) and it's a pig to get right !

There are some set-ups posted on this forum and on racechat, but they are not to my taste, far too soft. I'm currently trying to emulate the BJ's setup as it works a treat and doesn't really change much from indoors to outdoors.

On the ZX5 i've got associated blue spring on the front, kit piston and 55wt oil, rear 35 or 40wt oil kit piston and associated silvers. No rear roll bar.

First bit of decent weather we get i'll be off to the local park to try a few other things out.

Good luck
Old 26-12-2005

thanks for the reply mate :P i want to just get the suspension right first really then will try other things out, Any other information for the car/set up would big help thanks Nick.
Oswestry RCC
Old 26-12-2005
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Nick.

I would always run with the front one-way outdoors too. The only other thing i've done is put in extra shock spacers in the rear shocks to limit their extension and hence limit the amount of 'droop' I run on the car. I noticed that without the extra spacers, the rear end had far more down travel than the front, which made the car nose dive off jumps. I guess you could cure this by adding more travel to the front shocks, and i've read here and there about longer shock ends I think for the front. But I felt the front was fine and the back was at fault !

Hell, the way I drive these days, it hardly makes any difference !

Good luck.
Old 26-12-2005

I have been thinking of adding some spacers in the shocks because ther is alot more droop than the front i will prob try the car then take all the changes etc people have made and try them out and other things :roll: Anyway thanks for all your help Andy Nick.
Oswestry RCC
Old 26-12-2005
Administrator

Bit like andy, If i still had my BJ id be running that indoors, it was awesome and ive no setup for the zx5 yet..

having said that i did run the zx5 outdoors when it first came out for the review and even with almost kit setup it was awesome...

I ran it at bury metro last weekend, and it was great also, ive now gone to

AE blue front springs
40wt oil
kit piston
shortest camber link

KYOSHO #75 rear spring (yellow/green)
35wt
kit piston
camber link shortest on hub - middle on inside with 2 washers under.

the car was suffering from lack of tyres! but it was very good..
Old 26-12-2005

Send a message via MSN to mini-ripper

Hello I have also joined the Lazer club and got me one of these little blighters for crimbo. The wheels can be got from www.microtechracing.com I know they have quite a few instock as I ordered some myself today. They are open right through the holiday period which is cool.

As for set ups I agree with andys you can read sheds loads of set ups and none will work for you. Do the simple things first like if you are going to run on a smoth flat surface like carpet stiffen the suspension up and lower it down some. I would run indoors with the centre one way and a normal front diff if the track was very tight I maybe tempted to put in the front spool.
Old 26-12-2005
Administrator

Atomic Carbon have made some new towers with alternate holes along side the originals, so the rear end can be lowered (it IS high) and the front can be lifted (it IS low compared to the back)

I'm going to save my zx5 for outdoors where it shines
Old 26-12-2005

Yea I got the Atomic Carbon shock towers and top deck but left them at home as I spent christmas at my parents which is 172miles from where I live so I have had to build it without them. A guy at my club had real problems getting his ZX-5 to handle indoors and gave up in the end and went back to his Yokomo buggy. But as you say Jimmy it is outside where this beast is meant to run wild.
Old 26-12-2005

Ha, as you say jimmy the instructions are not very clear at times and I have just realised looking at you review and looking at the instructions again but a little harder this time I see I have left out the spacers for the rear shockers to limit up travel. When my Dad was looking at it even he commented on it being very high a the back and he knows nothing about RC at all!
Old 27-12-2005

Hi, I can honestly say that the atomic rear tower is a must with the extra holes ABOVE the original holes, 'TIVVY SPEC', as well as limiting droop to an acceptable level the main benefit is the UP-TRAVEL you gain as this stops the car flipping mid-corner as it runs out of 'LEAN'. For curiosity i placed my ZX5 next to a XX-4 and with atomic tower on there is little in it geometry wise.