Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Gloucester Electric Racing Car Club

Old 07-02-2012

Default Stock Mini Motors & ESC

HI,

Can you please let me know What is the motor limit on a stock mini? if any

Also I am currently running a tamiya STD ESC and looking for something that will run a better motor are there any good priced onse without going brushless.

Thanks

Trev
Old 08-02-2012

Default Stock motor limit

Hi Trev,

i'm not too sure as I don't run in the stock class but I believe it to be a 27Turn limit. If you turn up on Friday one of the guys who race in the stock class will be able to confirm this.
My advice would be to use a 20T saturn and race in the "open class". I am personnaly not a fan of splitting the Mardave classes to suit one or two individuals. As racing with 4 cars in a heat can be a little dull compared to to a full on field of upto 10 cars.
I see the stock class suitable for beginners and the Open class suitable to more experinced drivers as the cars are a little quicker and require that little bit better setup and driving ability.

Hope this helps

Si
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,
Tamiya Monster Beetle/Mud Blaster

"if i'm not racing... i'm dreaming of racing"
Old 08-02-2012

Agreed with what Simon said.
In my opinion the Tamiya TEU101BK (assuming that is what you have) can handle any motor you would want in your mini at Gloucester. I've run that controller on a 17T motor without a problem in a mini, and that is far too fast for the chassis at the Glos track. The lack of gearing choices mean you can't run motors with low turn counts because you will end up being over geared as the track is so small.
Old 09-02-2012

Thanks for the reply, I hope to be out again on Friday ( i have the yellow mini that spends alot of time on its roof)

I am going to stay in the stock for a little while as I am new to this and I am happy with running in this until I get used to the car. as I brought the car s/h I wanted to fit a new motor and bits to make it as good as it can be hence the turn question.

Trev
Old 09-02-2012

Trev,
if you are interested in running a small form factor LiPo which will certainly improve your car, I can produce machined battery enclosures especially for the Mardave.

Check out my site, you will see it there plus a load of set-up advice for these cars:
http://www.fulloption.co.uk/mardaveV12.html

DAVE
Old 09-02-2012

i race a stock mini and im running a mabushi 540 rs sport tuned motor.i should be there on friday if you want to have a looki

Last edited by ryan edwards; 09-02-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Re said
Old 15-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simion Wabs View Post
Hi Trev,

i'm not too sure as I don't run in the stock class but I believe it to be a 27Turn limit. If you turn up on Friday one of the guys who race in the stock class will be able to confirm this.
My advice would be to use a 20T saturn and race in the "open class". I am personnaly not a fan of splitting the Mardave classes to suit one or two individuals. As racing with 4 cars in a heat can be a little dull compared to to a full on field of upto 10 cars.
I see the stock class suitable for beginners and the Open class suitable to more experinced drivers as the cars are a little quicker and require that little bit better setup and driving ability.

Hope this helps

Si
Simon can I ask what makes ur car not allowed to go in the 'stock' class? Motor, cells or what? And what should it be to be allowed to go in The stock mardave class?
Old 15-02-2012

@ Gunter,

the class is seperated due to motor winds apparently . Namely I run a 21T clash motor (one that came with the Mad Monkey) whilst others in the stock class run silver can 27T motors as outlined in the Mardave section BRCA rules.
Although if we followed BRCA the rules to the letter, both my ESC and battery would be subject to failing the "stock class" criteria.

For me, as stated already above, national rules should only apply to national events. All clubs should have the choice to run "open" class or BRCA regulated classes. Prior to a certain individual(s) attending Glos, the mardave class was always "open". For me the more people who race in this class the better as it will force the "stock" guys to either a) race elsewhere or b)upgrade their car to become competitive.

I still struggle to comprehend why we run two classes at Glos. Maybe this was just to passify the minority of people who complained about this class?

On the other hand, the more people racing "any" class of RC is a bonus, so no real complaints from me that we run two sperate classes in the mardaves.

Apologies for the long winded response

Si
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,

Old 15-02-2012

Rite ok so basically a fun class for all has been changed by people that has joined ARE club pushing old members out.

I agree with some of that but not other Simon, yes it should follow brca rules reali to a degree motors and stuff are a major but things like wing size and height for example is a little to far but yes for a club you running with the other cars but not Collecting points against them should be allowed. And others shouldn't have to go out and spend more money to be competitive that's not reali the idea at club level follow the rules and spend as much as you can afford :-)

At the end the day we follow rules made my the club not what one or 2 people want. If we were running to club rules most the mardave's whould not be allowed to race due to there ride height and not countersunk chassis which should be enforcEd no matter what.

I think I'll be running a lipo and 27turn caterham mardave and it will be going in with all the other mardave's. Its are club and I been going for 7 years not a few months
Old 15-02-2012

Mr Gunter with a mardave, bring it on

I'm not to sure which points you agree/disagree with to be honest

I'd get a 20T saturn and race with me, Martyn + others who are moving away from the "stock" class.

Even Mr Beeby is considering a return to the "dave" and I can almost gaurentee he won't go the 27T route.

Your choice though. The bueaty of a Mardave is that they regulate themselves because too much power (brushless) brings a whole host of new issues that the chassis can not handle. So money doesn't necessarily bring you the best car. That way teh class remains fairly even.

That said, if all others convert to the stock class then i'd be more than happy to compete with a 27t motor.

As you have rightly said this is a fun class and too many people take it too seriously.

Si
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,

Old 15-02-2012

I'm new to the club coming back to rc after 10 year break used to race in devon, been to 3 meetings had a warm welcome the first night and really great to be back racing but i am only out for a great night may feel different after i have put some wd40 on my thumbs shame we are not all in together as more cars make for better racing, but the guys in stock could say we can change motors and join them if we wanted. Just great for me there is a club close.
But as i am new perheps i should keep out of it.

Nick
Old 16-02-2012

Well when I say me with a mardave it's gona b me mark and boldwin racing it taking it in turns/double driving which will be a laugh. We just wanted something cheap and fun. Mine going to hav a 27turn but won't b a Silverman thing as that's pointless as I got loads of old brushes to use up.

Nick every1s point of view is valid I'm glad you enjoy racing at glos it's small but a good laugh with a range of drivers from beginner to not half bad.

Hopefully are Dave will be ready in the next week or 2 :-) but I think all mardave's should go together inless there just to many cars
Old 16-02-2012

It's cool to see a lot of interest in the Mardave class.
I am indeed wishing I hadn't sold my Mardave car. Some lucky guy in London is now running what is probably the best Mardave chassis in the world
I might get another, my problem is that I don't have a brushed ESC and find it painful to shell out for one when you can easily get a brushless one for the same price or cheaper. Put it in context - when I was racing I was using a Hobbywing 18A controller which cost £18 brand new, and a £22 motor.
Old 16-02-2012

Well Dave I'm sure if you asked mark he could probably sell you a brushed speedo as I think he got loads in his box :-)
Old 17-02-2012

i race in the mini stock and i agree that it is a fun class
Old 20-02-2012

I would prefer to have all mardaves in the same pool and have an a/b final on the night like we have had for the previous 3 years. It adds nothing to the club by splitting the class. If you're a novice then its great to get into the A and if one of the top runners has a mare its amusing to see them in the B , I've been there lots of times

It isnt really about who's got the most cash, I've experimented with all sorts of esc's, motors, tyres and batteries and sticking a brushless in a 'dave at this track is not great for the majority of drivers (I know there are exceptions). Like all cars its as much to do with prep work, tyres and gearing as anything else.

It just seems silly to ruin the class over the motor limit.

Having said that, if the club want to come up with some basic rules around motors, batteries, esc, tyres etc then happy to conform if it means I get to beat someone else every week other than Simon.

The problem being that if everyone has to run a 27 turn silver can motor then I guarantee everyone will soon get bored and want to move on.

How do we define some rules guys?????? we need to do something, I still like my 'dave!!
Old 20-02-2012

If people want to split it I think it should be 27 turn or higher, any other mods allowed, and a second class which is unlimited. BUT both classes should race together and equally qualify for the A/B final as suggested by Grayslick above. The main reason there is a problem is because these two classes do not race together, when we all know it is not difficult to beat a brushless Mardave with a silver can turd pile. It's about driver skill, which is true of most of the classes at Gloucester because the track is so tight. That's the appeal, right?
Old 20-02-2012

Default a & b finals

Like Grayslick and Longrat, i'd prefer to all race together irrespective of motor limit. As I proved during the last meeting, no one is running in accordance with BRCA mardave rules anyhow . The defected "stock" class was setup at the request of one individual but I do understand the logic and intentions of the split in class.
If a couple more people join the open class then we will probably achieve 6 cars per week which makes for more interesting racing. What the newbies don't appreciate is that it has taken me nigh on 2.5 years to get the Dave setup and going well. But in that time my driving style and consistency has come on leaps and bounds. You can not blame outright speed and motor power for not winning when every second corner your crashing into the barriers!! Running the two classes together allows the better drivers from each class to race in the same final. You can split the championship points over two classes if everyone agrees that this is fair.
Every class should be a fun class and this is the first time in 4 years at Glos that anyone has raised concerns over any class of racing to teh best of my knowledge.
I have spoken to the person in question and pointed out that he is the only person unhappy with the previous and current situation (people not adhering to his proposed rules). I'll speak to Steve during the next meeting and request that we are all placed together if there are 8 minis or less. If more "daves" turn up then I don't see any change in the quals/finals anyhow.
All those in favour of joint races between the two classes make it known to me on Friday. As Grayslick mentioned in a previous post, the thrill of getting into the A for the first time and beating other more experienced drivers is what rc racing is all about.

On a final note, joining the two classes would reduce the qualifying duration making time for everyone to have two finals on the night instead of one.
Si
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,

Old 20-02-2012

Just a quick comment Simon but I think me and Gordy might pOssibly of sorted out the problem aswell and will see what happens on the weekend but I think things might be abit more relaxed hopefully ;-)
But yes all the daves should be mixed and hav a proper A and B final. Hopefully we will be joinin ya soon but are Dave fell through so we looking for another one now :-)
Old 20-02-2012

Shame about that Chris, you know it is really hard to find a nice unmolested Worlds-capable Mardave chassis these days. Keep looking and I'm sure you will find your pride and joy soon