Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 14-03-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono83 View Post
lmao i was born in wales and have welsh parents its noy my fault i have to live this side haha
LMAO
Old 14-03-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono83 View Post
lmao i was born in wales and have welsh parents its noy my fault i have to live this side haha
haha only joking i love you taffys your feckin ace
Old 14-03-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to jono83

haha thanks bert your ace too
Old 16-03-2009

Stupid question time, how are people weighing the front to back weights???

Peter
Old 16-03-2009
Mad Member

i used 2 sets of scales one under the front wheels and one under the rear wheels
you need for 35% 65% weight distibution the centre line should be 174mm from the centre of the front wheels mine weighed 1740 grams and has 35% over the front and 65% over the rear hope the this makes sense
Old 16-03-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by warped View Post
Well I don't run an x6 and to get to 1740g I would have to run 420g of ballast which simply wouldn't fit without a redesign of the chassis (unless anybody has a load of spare tungsten they don't need.)

I currently have a 65 / 35 weight distribution at the minimum weight limit.

It sort of seems counter intuative to be running that much ballast on a racing car.

Dan / Body Paint. Out of interest what sort of tracks were you testing on to come up with that weight?

Were they particularly bumpy?

The reason I ask is that yes heavy cars generate more grip but they also generate more momentum and higher lateral loads too. - So I can see weight being an advantage on rough tracks., but on a smooth track I would expect cornering speed to be worse than for a light car.

This is certainly what you see in touring cars and 1/12.
Blimey, catching up on this thread.

I've only had my car run indoors (some high some low grip Euro tracks with arious sized jumps) since Lipo came to me, but on all my cars our setups indoor & outdoor (grass/multisurface Euro tracks (not clay)) always seem to be pretty much the same.

Having done a little work on suspension previous at Uni we did various things there and when I talked about what we do in model car racing the chassis designers I talked to could not believe it. Conventional theory just does not matter to us, what it feels like on track does. I.e. we pivot our cars on a MUCH smaller radius (even at 10th scale) to any normal racing car in almost any class, therefore IMHO you never want say ultimate rear grip because we usually want it to break away some at the right moment to pivot properly.

Similarly the way our suspension reacts over comparitivly shear faces of jumps etc means again logic goes out the window in some respects. So when it comes to weight and things people should run whatever they want but for me a heavy'er' car usually feels better.

That said just to re-iterate, for me getting the balance right (approx 65% rear 35% front on an X6) is MUCH MORE important than overall weight. But anyone running a big (5200mah Vampire Lipo in my case) will have to add 100g ish lead to the front so you'll end up getting to 1700g+ by default whether you want to or not. People running say TP 3200mah ones can chose to run a lighter overall car and still get the balance. But I'd advise them to try it, then add more weight front and rear and try it again and see what they prefer.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 16-03-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

To weigh mine I have some digital kitchen scales to which I place a narrow peice of wood on as the scales aren't wide enough for the width of a car and reset to 0g. Then (and this is important) jack the other end of the car up to the same height so the car is level). Weight front, Weigh rear, add together for total weight.

This will likely be slightly different to if you just weighed the car in 1 go but should be pretty close. Using the totatl of front and rear axles added together should be marginally more accurate.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 16-03-2009

Just to say a little about the weight of the car.

As Dan says, to us as in the team drivers, we have worked out for over her to get the car to feel nice, as in a good balance between steering and rear traction, you want about 65% rear weight, this is based on a dry track typical to us.

Now as Dan also says the overall weight is then down to individuals. I have the possiblity with the weights I have to run the 65% rear weight but be anywhere between just over 1600g and anything up to 1830g

I tend to run that weight split pretty much everywhere.

What lipo gives us with the 6 is the ability to move the weight, with nimh we could not shift the weight around at all (not without adding any extra which would have made them big time heavy) but with lipo we have that ability with the ballast weight. For example in the wet around Eden Park I shift the weight I have at the front to the rear of the car to stop the front hanging on to the turns so much... and it makes a massive difference.

What you have to remember was the 6 was designed with split cells, and you can't just take out 140g of weight from the front and expect it to still steer. For the cars with stick packs up the middle and the motor in the wrong place the change to lipo is a balanced one, the weight lose is pretty much over the whole of the car, ours is all off the front. Not that this is a bad thing as from what I have seen this gives us much more scope to tune the car purely with weight, for example if we were running lipo at last years euros I certainly would have shifted the weight back and made the front lighter and the car would have been better, not that it was that bad anyway.

With regards to warped's comment I can't remember when I last raced on a flat track with an off road car and unlike touring car where every last milli second of speed you can gain is worth it in off road we have so much power a bit more weight makes no real difference, other than a safer feeling car. Of course if you went mad it would be bad but don't think many will go over board with weight.

So after all that above basically if you want the car to feel like the car did last year, for those that ran them, then you want a 65% rear weight, how much overall is totally up to what the individual wants but we have a very good way of tunning the car with the weights if needed.

I'm off for a sleep now as at my age that took way too much thinking to type all that in

E
Old 16-03-2009
oOple Advertiser

Ellis, could repeat that please........
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 16-03-2009
Mad Member

Old 16-03-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to matdodd

I have to say Dan & E are spot on.
After running the S2 last year which was very light with lipos in. I ran my X6 light for months with just a Trish bits front bulkhead as ballast & was more than happy with how the car was going, but over the lasts couple of months after speaking to E
I have been adding weight to the car at every meeting and found the car just gets easier to drive fast the heavier it gets the funny thing is after weighing it the other day its at 1742!
Old 17-03-2009

I am running the old X6 with 6 cells, and after reading this discussion last night I had to pull out the Wife's kitchen scale, and it weighthed in at 1718g with a 36/64% distribution. I have no extra weight added.
Old 17-03-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

sounds perfect !
Old 18-05-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
To weigh mine I have some digital kitchen scales to which I place a narrow peice of wood on as the scales aren't wide enough for the width of a car and reset to 0g. Then (and this is important) jack the other end of the car up to the same height so the car is level). Weight front, Weigh rear, add together for total weight.

This will likely be slightly different to if you just weighed the car in 1 go but should be pretty close. Using the totatl of front and rear axles added together should be marginally more accurate.
If i weigh my x6 in 1 go its 1510g. If I weigh the front and jack the back up so the car is level, then do the same with the rear and add them together I get 2250g total.

However the weigh distribution is 63.5% - 37.5%. Do I need the total weight to be 1740g weighing it in 1 go but getting a 35 - 65 split.

Also is it better to keep most of the weight central or at the extremeties?
Old 18-05-2009
Lee-Mag

approx 1740 in 1 go is about right.

I dont think many people run a front head as it adds too much weight too far forward and causes the car to keep on turning and it will effect it more jumping, i think the weight is from under the servo, speedo, and a couple in the odd pod here and there to balance things up. the servo weight comes out in the wet and goes under the cells

I had thought about running lighter but with the weight at the extremeties to get the feel the same but it just doesn't feel quite right in practice. The heavier car just feels much nicer.

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 18-05-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

so how much lead do you put where in the car?
Old 18-05-2009
Lee-Mag

It depends on what cells you run but i think the general rule is about 65g under the servo, 65g under the speedo and 10g in rear pods.

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 18-05-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7ELA View Post
If i weigh my x6 in 1 go its 1510g. If I weigh the front and jack the back up so the car is level, then do the same with the rear and add them together I get 2250g total.

However the weigh distribution is 63.5% - 37.5%. Do I need the total weight to be 1740g weighing it in 1 go but getting a 35 - 65 split.

Also is it better to keep most of the weight central or at the extremeties?
The total of both ends should be the same as the total car weight. When you are holding the car level are you supporting it by the wheels only (2 on the scales and 2 on a seperate platform)? If you are holding it at further back thats your problem..
Old 19-05-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

Agreed with Kev, the car should add up the same both ways. It's certainly essential you weight it at the wheels and that the car is level.

I use lead plate that is cut to fit, this totals 40g under speedo, 65g under the servo and 10g on the front bulkhead so 115g total for me. I don't run any in the back but the plate under the servo is only held in by the servo (2 screws for the mounts) so can be very quickly and easily removed to shift the balance back, very helpfull in the wet.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 06-04-2016

Sorry to drag up such an old post, I still have my squared. My car is set up for the 35/65 weight distribution, and about 1740g total weight. I have been wondering if running saddles in the T config or a shortly would be an opportunity to run the car a bit lighter but keep the distribution the same? Running a car this heavy does not seem to be the fashion these days!