Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Robinhood Raceway

Old 27-07-2012

Default Howdy

Hello, I know this is probably not the place to make introductions but Im not really sure where else to start. Let me tell you a little about my self. Im Luke, I live in Rotherham and work in Retford, yesterday on my way to work I was driving down blyth road and saw a poster by an entrance to a field, York Offroad Car club, being a fan of both Rc and offroading I thought I would google it..... and here I am now!
I never realised that there was a racetrack so close to home and I drive past it virtually every day! its a good job I spotted the poster. Over the last 5 years or so I've had a small collection of Electric RC cars and I'm a serial back yard basher. I've never done anything competitive or even been to an RC meet so I'd appreciate some advice,
The car I'd like to bring is a sportwerks raven BX its virtually standard with an 'out of the box' 19t brushed motor, I have a few spare bits, x2 decent mihm battery packs (a 3000mh & a 3700mh) and a selection of crystals, is there anything else I might need? As I've never been, what can you tell me about classes? Where would I be able to compete with my 2wd buggy? Finally, when it comes to competition i know being a newbie I won't be able to compete, is there anything I can do to prepare myself before hand or to make my vehicle more competitive?

Thanks
Luke
Old 27-07-2012
Mad Member

Hi Luke

You will have seen the sign as there is an all weekend meeting there this weekend on the new clay track. I would strongly recommend popping along where I'm sure there will be a lot of people happy to talk you through what you need!
Old 27-07-2012

As Andrew says there is a big meeting on all weekend and they'll be a lot of top drivers there from both over here in England and some from Europe aswell. Go along and watch some excellent rc racing and you'll be surprised how we've moved on from brushed motors and the old battery's.
There's even a bar there selling draft I'm led to believe,you can buy hot food and drinks aswell just in case you feel a bit peckish.

There will be some rc shops there also for you to browse through the products that people use nowadays.

Phill
Old 27-07-2012

Brilliant, do you know what time they race until? I'm working saturday (tomorrow) morning so should be able to call in on my way back. (probably after 3)

its nice to know all my gears outdated! what's best for me then? Do they run a brushed class which i could dip my toes in? Or should I upgrade what i have to give myself a better chance? Or just buy an out of the box racer?
I mean my sportwerks isnt that old, & i think the esc is lipo compatible... I could drop a say 10t brushed motor and run a lipo but would it be worth it?

Cheers
luke
Old 27-07-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

We finished at 6 tonite so you will see something at that time. Stick with what you have the track is open on wed eve, check here for updates and you can have a go., you will need to join the brca at some point too www.brca.org. this gives you public liability insurance.

You buggy will be fine for you to have a go, once your hooked you can look at other cars. Many there this weekend will talk to you and offer advice. Just ask
Old 27-07-2012

Best to pop down after work tommorow and have a wander round,chat with people and have a look at all the cars there.

The new lipo batteries are amazing compared to the old nimh. You can race all day with two packs and charge them as many times as you wish!

Also with the brushless motors you can put them in your car and virtually forget about them,just oil the bearings and that's about it!.

If you want to pop down on Wednesday night theres usually a few of us there practicing on the astro track and I'm sure someone will let you have a go.
Were there from about 5 when the weathers good.
Old 27-07-2012
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

And when it's chucking it down you could go to Mansfield on Wednesday nights as they run indoors. I had a Sportwerks Raven stadium truck when they came out about ooh 5 or 6 years ago. I think they only released the truck and buggy as electric cars then Horizon killed the marque off. They were OK as I remember but I think their biggest limitation now is availability of spares if anything breaks.
Old 28-07-2012

Yeah it must be coming up 5 years from when i bought it - i didn't think it was that long ago! I did look at the stadium truck but preferred the buggy, I've always had a thing for buggys as my very first RC (when I was a lad) was toy grade buggy called a 'turbo hopper'. Yeah spares do seem to be an issue with most parts coming from America so ill try not to break it on my first go!
I did call in and saw a few races, its made me realise how totally out classed I am, they were seriously quick. I did notice that there was a lack of long ariels on the transmitters, is that because everyone is running 2.4ghz systems now?
I got my raven BX out and ran the battery down, my plan is to flatten it and give it fresh charge for when I visit on a Wednesday. I've also done something bad.... bought a lipo and charger, just waiting for it to arrive. I can't help myself sometimes!

heres a pic from today, not quite the sleek narrow bodied cars people are racing now eh?

I've also ordered some new wheels and tyres, The rears are bald from do-nuts - I told you I was a serial back yard basher... The slicks have been fine for the street but not much else!

Thanks
Luke
Old 14-08-2012

Well i bought the lipo & put it in the raven bx and wow what a difference!Its so good I managed to strip the gear teeth in the diff - doh! I now realise I was abit naieve to think the sportwerks would be able to compete so thanks to ebay..... tada!

A second hand cougar sv, a hobby wing esc and brca membership, im waiting on a motor & a saddle pack lipo (hurry up royal mail) then I'm ready to roll! Thanks for all the advice so far, my next question is.... when's the next open day?
Thanks
Luke
Old 14-08-2012

Should be a good few people at rhr tommorow night if the weather stays good. Pop down and have a chat,or race if your motor and battery turn up