Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Xtreme - VEGA

Old 24-12-2005
Mad Member

Top review jimmy, and you can tell that you put in a lot of time and effort by the quality of the review. A balanced review pointing out the plus and negative points of the car which i am sure will helpout people.

Look forward to more reviews in the new year and hopefully get a slim4 to you when its sorted.
Old 24-12-2005
Administrator

That'd be awesome fella, look forward to it..

Aye did put a heck of a lot of work into this one, wish the weather had been better but its winter and cant be avoided really. Still, it was a good laugh to do..
Old 24-12-2005
Admin

Just finished reading the review, I would say its a fair and balanced view.
I was thinking how can any one put up with all the niggles this car has, and then I remembered the huge amount of changes I have made to the XXX4 (and it still dislikes bumpy tracks) . This perhaps offers a degree of perspective, as you will no doubt have issues of one sort or another with any new car.
Old 25-12-2005

10/10 for the review Jimmy. Are you going to use the car next year or are you going to use something else?
Paint by Wezzer.
Old 25-12-2005
Spends too long on oOple ...

Jim, cracking review, not the one TTech would of liked, but then you weren't don't a Radio Race Car review were ya... good on you...

The biggest dissapointment, on reading the review, after ALL the delays and the 'extensive testing' and MORE delays on redisgns, they still FUDGED it and STILL had fundamental problems which the original car had. If I had stumped up a deposit and waited impatiently I would of been most annoyed to having a half cocked product.

I know we could all say, well it is only a small company etc.... but today, when you can buy the ZX5 which don't realy NEED anything and the Bj4, can we REALY be expected to turn a blind eye??? Thats like buying a Rover and accepting it self destructs, but it IS British.
Old 26-12-2005

Jimmy. What size is the extra bearing for the rear gear pinion.
Paint by Wezzer.
Old 26-12-2005
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Blimey.

Great work Jim, hope you get back what you paid now it's being broken properly a few times

That wobbly gear issue looks like a right nightmare. Well done Peter for sorting that one out.

What i'd like to know as a potential purchaser, is when TTech have addressed these areas in future kits ?

I'd like to be sure that if I got a kit for this years outdoors that it had the areas Jimmy picked up on ironed out.
Old 26-12-2005
Super Moderator

Who added the extra bearing first? :?:
Old 26-12-2005
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Oh dear, have I patted the wrong mans back !
Old 26-12-2005
Administrator

Sorry northy, i thought It was peters idea, I assume the bearing size peter uses was his addition ? I know you are using a bigger flanged bearing which needes a little fitting ? I didnt realise it was your idea, my fault. I'll ammend the review, sorry bout that but im not perfect!

thanks again norty btw, there was no chance of me doing the review witout your help, no gearbox, no review.. I got the one from TTech AFTER the review was done.
Old 26-12-2005
Spends too long on oOple ...

Good to see TTech's product support is as good as always....
Old 27-12-2005
Super Moderator

No worries Jimmy, the bearing I've fitted is 4mm thick and has sheilds, the one Peter fitted is 3mm thick and has no sheilds. I think this will be a mistake when we get racing outdoors as a lot of dirt can find its way in there. This will require more maintainance IMHO and who wants that?

The 4mm bearing required me to trim the chassis a little (it is just a plain bearing BTW not flanged) but this was a 30 second job. Jim Dixon has fitted the same bearing as me with no problems.

I already had it fitted when Isshy started stripping spur gears for England, and told Peter. At first he seemed a bit dismissive about it, but the next week it was the best thing since Pot Noodles!

Just thought I'd tell you the facts as I remember them. No offence taken at all. All I want to see is everyones Preds as reliable as possible, and if any needs any help or advice just send me a message or come and see me at a race meeting, I'll be the one wearing something stupid!!!! :shock: :shock:
Old 27-12-2005
Admin

As well as driving something stupid :?: :?:
Only joking Graham
Old 27-12-2005
Super Moderator

The bearing required is 6x12x3 or 4mm (unflanged) depending which one you go for. They're easily available, I got mine from a guy on Ebay for £1.50 posted. Let me know if you want his contact details...
Old 27-12-2005

Northy you have a pm
Paint by Wezzer.
Old 27-12-2005

Default Whats Going On

Now then what’s all this about! I didn’t realise owning a predator was all about one up-man ship and yes Northy you did tell me about the bearing you had fitted, you also mentioned the need to Dremel away some part of the gearbox and apply some epoxy which I felt a bit extreme for anyone to have to do to a new car costing £380 plus to try to resolve a problem that should not be there in the first place but with your years of experience running predators and probably a wealth of team parts and direct line to the design team I thought is seemed expectable in your case. I managed to track down a bearing that would do the job without any surgery on the gearbox but this did come at I price of no seals but as we were running indoors that was not a real concern to me at the time anything to prevent spurs striping and keeping Ishy happy was my motivation.

Now where did this “Who added the extra bearing first?” came from is beyond me. I have better things to do than going round saying it was my idea and in Jimmy’s review I don’t think he even suggests such a thing Quote “One fix to the problem was shown to me by Peter Moss of Professional Racing, basically peter has added an extra bearing to his team cars right next to the rear bearing.”

Northy, in your last paragraph you say “Just thought I'd tell you the facts as I remember them.” What point are you trying to make here!
Old 27-12-2005
Super Moderator

Wooo, lets stop this before it begins.

Everything was meant tongue in cheek, but its hard to type a tone of voice, sorry. Should have used more smiles

Maybe a little hangover didn't help.

No offence meant, and I hope none taken? :?:

Only thing I'd like to add is "probably a wealth of team parts and direct line to the design team" this is not true, I wish it was

Can we play nice again now? <- Smiles
Old 27-12-2005

Yes by all means we can play nice again now?
Old 28-12-2005
Super Moderator

Glad that's sorted