Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler > UK Short Course Nationals

Old 01-02-2013
Mad Member

Default Silly rule questions for 2013 Series

Whats with the daft unclear new rules?

Wings - No bolt on after market or home-made spoilers / wings allowed. Manufacturer spoilers / wings moulded into the body are allowed.

So this reads that Durango trucks can run the wings that come with their kits but nobody else can, since their wings are a 'manufacturer spoiler' and not 'aftermarket' or 'home made'?

how is that a fair rule?

1. Same tyre / wheel width to be used front and rear.
this is confusing and an odd rule? wtf?... do we have to run same tyre patterns front and rear? or do they have to be same width fitted? so if a kourse king is wider than a minispike we can't split types over front/rear?

Seems silly having these extra rules when we can run any motor in the trucks, especially since the newer 2WD mid trucks can handle more power!

Are the horrible jelly mould Proline 14RS bodyshells still allowed?

Stuff the rules and concentrate on having fun racing, if people want to run wings then let them.
Old 01-02-2013
Banned

Are the Durango wings you reference actually "molded" into the body, as you mentioned the rule saying, or are they in fact a bolt-on piece?
If they're bolt-on, then I would guess the rule would be in direct reference to their use. Otherwise, if you're referencing the rear/side "winglets," many manufacturers have been including them.

As far as the tyre width rule, I can't think of any reason to mention it other than a couple of recent product releases: at least one wheel manufacturer started making slightly wider (+3mm) wheels, and Associated's SCB includes narrow front rims and tyres.

I hope the Proline 14RS, along with their new Focus rally, bodyshells aren't allowed - and a simple mention like, "short course truck style bodies only" could clarify things.
Old 01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecklychimp View Post
Nice work matey,

if i had 26 years experience would hope to be a lot faster and be able to give Craggy and Bloomers a nudge on the rostrum!

Mark.
I have 28 years and its not getting any easier!!

This wing rule seems to be very unclear, I think wings should be available for everyone to use however a restriction should be put on size and location.
Old 01-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber View Post
I have 28 years and its not getting any easier!!

This wing rule seems to be very unclear, I think wings should be available for everyone to use however a restriction should be put on size and location.
Will let you know in 17yrs whether it paid off!

I don't want to see the class smothered with rules, especially ones that are minor and have more of a placebo effect than give you a few seconds a lap advantage... with the rules any of us could put a 4.5T motor in a 2WD and gain more time on the straight bits if the truck doesn't become a plane!

There was some bitching in the pits last year about the 2WD championship leader using a prototype car and tyres and of course the highly effective rear wing not being fair... it was all rubbish, he won enough points for the championship because he was the best driver on the day, end of... in the same way Richard Lowe did it in 2011 with his illegal prototype thumbs!

I agree with rule for tyres having to be commercially available, they can make a big difference in times (if the truck stays on them for 6 minutes!)

The problem with rules is policing them, homologation lists needed to back them up and drivers being put off by not being able to use existing kit or having to buy new stuff to comply.
Old 01-02-2013

Gents

Thanks for the valid comments. Please bear with us while we work thorugh and clarify a few things.

Thanks

Chris
Old 01-02-2013

Send a message via MSN to metalmickey0

I was reading this thread and thought` oo good i can see some rules as i just got a SC truck` and by the the end of it i am completely confused. Think i`ll keep to bashing it and running it at my local club. Less hassle, what with people argueing all the time over a wing and wheels etc.
Also i thought if you are a `Team Driver` you should be ` people friendly` no matter how good or rubbish you are at driving as it impacts on the `Team`.
Old 01-02-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Maybe go buy another brand of truck then Chimpy

I all seriousness, is it a problem? We have an issue AT SHRCCC last year when a committee member used an after market wing on his 4wd, it got taken off, rules is rules.

I'm off to look at the rules now but I'm sure they are in the best interest of fairness.
Old 01-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
Maybe go buy another brand of truck then Chimpy

I all seriousness, is it a problem? We have an issue AT SHRCCC last year when a committee member used an after market wing on his 4wd, it got taken off, rules is rules.

I'm off to look at the rules now but I'm sure they are in the best interest of fairness.
It makes no odds to me Neil and the Chimpmobile is never changing!

the rules just need making clearer is the point of the thread.

it works fine as it was, unfortunately there were a few moaners last year on the wing subject and the organisers are having the headache of trying to stop the earache!

Front bumpers make good wing removal tools though
Old 01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmickey0 View Post
I was reading this thread and thought` oo good i can see some rules as i just got a SC truck` and by the the end of it i am completely confused. Think i`ll keep to bashing it and running it at my local club. Less hassle, what with people argueing all the time over a wing and wheels etc.
Also i thought if you are a `Team Driver` you should be ` people friendly` no matter how good or rubbish you are at driving as it impacts on the `Team`.
metalmickey0 don't stress about the rules, if you've got am "off the shelf truck" then you'll be fine.

We are just trying to clarify and few things that where raised last year.

As far as truck construction there is only a few more than last year, which had a few more than the year before. (we all remember the reverse debate!)

The orginal tyre rule (2.2) is from when trucks had just been release.

As an example BRCA 10th off road has many rules relating to condtruction and running hmolgated electrics, we accept the without question as it's always been that way.

This class is still reletively young and we are all shaping the way the class moves forward.

Chris

PS Chimpy certainly isn't a team driver, - as much as he would love to be
Old 01-02-2013

My opinion is they should allow wings on the rear and any SCT tyres as long as there available to everyone, lets be honest wings are only going to make any difference to the top drivers where a few tenths is going to matter.

I started racing SCT's as its great fun and reminds me of racing 20 years ago, its more relaxed than the other classes I race, there has to rules but they shouldn't be too strict.

I am planning to do more nationals this year so hoping to have a laugh with everyone and not have to worry about my car being wrong
Old 01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
Are the Durango wings you reference actually "molded" into the body, as you mentioned the rule saying, or are they in fact a bolt-on piece?
If they're bolt-on, then I would guess the rule would be in direct reference to their use. Otherwise, if you're referencing the rear/side "winglets," many manufacturers have been including them.

As far as the tyre width rule, I can't think of any reason to mention it other than a couple of recent product releases: at least one wheel manufacturer started making slightly wider (+3mm) wheels, and Associated's SCB includes narrow front rims and tyres.

I hope the Proline 14RS, along with their new Focus rally, bodyshells aren't allowed - and a simple mention like, "short course truck style bodies only" could clarify things.
Hi Robby

I believe this is the rule your looking for regaridng you last paragraph.

2.3 Body - Only 1/10th short course bodies allowed, with enclosed wheel arches, minimum cut outs and be a true representation of the full size vehicle

Its a rule we've had since day one of the series.

Cheers

Chris
Old 01-02-2013
Mad Member

Rules are always about interpretation. The way I read the first rule brought up is that the Durango wing couldn't be used as it's not physically part of the body i.e. you have to cut it out and then bolt it on. Whereas on the Team C Jelly mould bodyshell there is a wing moulded into the back of the body which would be legal.

I think the second rule should be clarified with a physical minium width of the wheel. At the moment you could run the SCB wheels back and front and still be within the rules, Might be useful on a muddy track If a physical minimum width for the wheel is set then this would stop that happening and everybody would be running the near enough the same wheels. It would also stop people running the thinner tyre and cutting down the wheel to. As long as the physical width of the wheel is correct then it won't matter what offset they are, assuming they still fit in the body.

As for the 14RS bodyshell, that should be banned on health grounds....

But i believe it is an unofficially licencnsed one of these..

Now thats a Dakar Mitsi Lancer and as the rules state "Only 1/10th short course bodies allowed, with enclosed wheel arches, minimum cut outs and be a true representation of the full size vehicle. No add on spoilers / wings allowed."

So it depends how you define a short course body. Personally I would say that it's a Dakar Rally body and not a Short course body. This would also apply to that Hummer Body thats just been released to.

Also the rule I have quoted also states no add on spoilers / wings allowed which backs up my thoughts about the first rule I spoke about

Again this is my interpretation of the rules. And I am not really bothered who turns up with what as I am just going to turn up and race whatever is there.

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 01-02-2013

The last part of Robs post .
Turn up and race
Thats trucking and why its such fun !!!
Got to have rules but lets keep it FUN dudes .
Old 01-02-2013
Mad Member

There are also wider rear intended tyres available from Proline Rob... called 2.0's so these can be included in confusion along with the new SC10B type narrow fronts

It shouldn't matter, but as is written it can be read that you should have same tyres (pattern? compound?) all round, or same wheel size all round or the tyres have to be same sized all round (kourse kings are slightly wider than schueys so couldn't be used as front/rear combo)

It's easier to say any commercially available width wheel, 2.2 outer bead, 3.0 inner bead and any commercially available tyres/inserts... sticking wide tyres on narrow wheels is pointless and the narrow tyres available are radials or dirt tyres which will have no major advantage over existing tyres.

I've got nowhere to mount a rear wing cos of my 'minimal' cut outs!
Old 01-02-2013

I find the blitz is good enough as it is without a wing simple solution then, everyone run a blitz
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 01-02-2013

I just think nobody likes me! Jimmy take all these nasty people away so they'll stop picking on me
Old 01-02-2013

Got to agree with mark on the wheels and tyres

As long as its a commercially available SC style wheel with 2.2/3.0 beads then its ok for use. And tyre wise again any commercially available SC style tyre can be used. But does not have to be of matching pattern or compound or brand front to rear.

(Width wise the narrow front scb wheels prob won't be bothered about by most sct racers anyway. And surely wider rears would only lead to clearance issues on the shell)

Guessing most of us 2wd racers will be trying out the stagger rib front with yellow minispike rear combination

Spoilers on the back??????

Ok so the ansmann (team c) she'll has one moulded into the shell. But it's also very small in relation to the rest of the body

And the Durango one which is a lot bigger but comes as a separate piece and requires "fixing" to the shell. To be honest most of the trucks have enough trouble keeping there front wheels on the ground anyway so surely adding A big flap would be detrimental unless the car was setup better anyway

Really the rule that governs the use of spoilers is

"Only 1/10th short course bodies allowed, with enclosed wheel arches, minimum cut outs and be a true representation of the full size vehicle. No add on spoilers / wings allowed."*

Which is based on the CORR series trucks

Spot any spoilers?

Not a trucking clue what short course I'll use next year. Any offers 😂
Old 01-02-2013

Why not just state that if the bodyshell comes with a wing then that's the only one that can be used- no non standard wings can be used,and only commercially available products can only be used in regards to tyres,rims,etc etc
How about having a fixed class for racing like 13.5 turn(pro lite stock sportsman)
and 65 other pre 1998 iconic rc cars....

Nosram Novak Orion lrp Reedy Turnigy Futaba Schumacher proline

ACTIVE SCALE MODELS.CO.UK........better than some other model shop's ive been too...
Old 02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincey View Post
Why not just state that if the bodyshell comes with a wing then that's the only one that can be used- no non standard wings can be used,and only commercially available products can only be used in regards to tyres,rims,etc etc
How about having a fixed class for racing like 13.5 turn(pro lite stock sportsman)

now thats the way forward!
Old 02-02-2013

Send a message via MSN to johnni boi

lol What you guys dont know is running a wing makes you slower. Mr Wesson proved that at Surry and Hans