Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 16-02-2018

Question Have 3 2s LIPO with a low voltage cell. Salvagable?

Hi there
I just checked and storage charged my lipos after way too long and I have 3 which have come up faulty. One is only showing one cell, I assume this one is toast, the other two are showing a cell voltage of 1-1.5v for one of the two cells. I am curious if it is possible to revive these lipos safely (or semi-safely) somehow? I think of the three only 1 is visibly puffed.

I am happy to trash them if needs be to be honest but it would be cool to salvage one or two. They are reasonably high spec lipos but all bought second hand.

Many thanks!
Old 16-02-2018

Put them on a nmh's charge at 2volts till the voltage cums up then charge them normally. But keep an eye on them. hope this helps.
Old 16-02-2018
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelman_fishing View Post
Put them on a nmh's charge at 2volts till the voltage cums up then charge them normally. But keep an eye on them. hope this helps.
2 volts...... interesting,

I'd steer clear of that suggestion and just bin them
Old 16-02-2018
Mad Member

I have safely recovered low voltage lipos using Niamh setting on my charger a few times
If there going to recover it will happen very quickly
Watch voltage on each cell once it rises above 2.5 volts terminate charge and switch to Lipo charge as normal but at a lower current rating
If voltage on low cell does not show signs of rising in a few seconds from starting charge abort mission it's dead

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU ARE NOT CONFIDENT ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND PREFERABLY OUTSIDE AND DO NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED
OF COURSE SAFEST OPTION IS MARK'S ADVICE AND RECYCLE THEM SAFELY AND REPLACE THEM WITH NEW BATTERIES

Dave
Old 16-02-2018

Thanks all, I'm just going to bin them, I have plenty left. Best wishes.
Old 17-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
2 volts...... interesting,

I'd steer clear of that suggestion and just bin them

People like YOU are the reason why a lot people do not post anything because you always have to piss on every body's chips. This is the only response you will get from me because I know that you are a key board Warrior
Old 17-02-2018
Mad Member

Posts are how you read them
I have known mark a long a time he has a wealth of knowledge across many rc disciplines , unfortunately keyboard skills are not marks strongest suit but he is genuinly a good guy

Technically mark is correct we shouldnt try to revive dead lipos but that is the value of an open forum all opinions are catered for and can be expressed take the advice you choose
Old 17-02-2018
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

The fact your advising some one to put Lipo on a Nimh charge is ok, setting it to 2 volts is wrong.....as is little other advice.

A 2s pack ideally needs to see 6 volts on the charger. Or 3 volts per cell. With a charge rate of around 0.5 of an amp, and monitor them for every second., reelman,, till the voltage comes up!, to what ? No informationto some one you are advising.

My point was if that's all the facts your giving him, don't bother. Call me what you want, I don't care, but I won't give some one poor incomplete and dangerous info.

None of you have advised him to bring the low cell up to match the other.ie charge them as 1s Or indeed continue a charge via balancing charge only. To some one you don't know, a "normal charge" may not be balanced

Most Lipo fires happen by miss use and poor operators. If that offends you, then Google Lipo fires and the damage they do to folks homes and venues we race in.

Last edited by mark christopher; 17-02-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 18-02-2018

for cells that have dropped below 3 volts, i have a single cell budget lipo charger, 4.2v, 250ma supplied with a toy drone. used to use nimh charger set at 1A, less hassle just to plug in the little charger now