Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 27-01-2013

Default Sticks to Wheel advise

Hi

After a 9 year break I have got twitchy fingers and want try my hand at 1/10th touring cars again,

I have a old KO espirit 2 that could be converted to 2.4hz but think it might be time to change to a wheel as it seems the way to go.

Can any one recommend a wheel around the £100 mark that would be good for club racing and the odd meet?

Its going to be painful I think

Cheers
Old 27-01-2013

a spektrum dx3 would be perfect.ive got one.theyre realy reliable and have plenty of advanced settings.they are perfect for the experianced racer
Old 27-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim666225 View Post
a spektrum dx3 would be perfect.ive got one.theyre realy reliable and have plenty of advanced settings.they are perfect for the experianced racer

Cheers Jim
Old 27-01-2013

I had to change from sticks to wheel a while ago and FWIW I went through quite a lot of options before choosing a futaba 3PKS (picked up a 2nd hand one with Futaba 2.4 for £99!)

My advice is to try some for size first, I found the trigger on the Acoms too small for fat fingers (but not until I'd bought one ) and also see if they take lipo as this makes them much lighter (as they're held in one hand it make a greater difference IMHO than a stick radio). So if you can pop down the local track and see if people there have them and try holding them. Or see if you can try the same in your local model shop.

After you change you'll never look back
Old 27-01-2013

I'd stick with the Esprit 2, they're a good transmitter still. You know how to drive with sticks, imo there's no need to make things more difficult than they have to be by changing to a wheel.

Most people are using 2.4ghz now so it's very unlikely you will get crystal crashes with anyone. If you really want a 2.4 set I'd stick with sticks and get something like a Futaba 3GR.

Ludlow Radio Car Club

LRCC Youtube Vid.
Old 27-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by imull View Post
I had to change from sticks to wheel a while ago and FWIW I went through quite a lot of options before choosing a futaba 3PKS (picked up a 2nd hand one with Futaba 2.4 for £99!)

My advice is to try some for size first, I found the trigger on the Acoms too small for fat fingers (but not until I'd bought one ) and also see if they take lipo as this makes them much lighter (as they're held in one hand it make a greater difference IMHO than a stick radio). So if you can pop down the local track and see if people there have them and try holding them. Or see if you can try the same in your local model shop.

After you change you'll never look back
@Imull how did you cope with the switch over.

I think I'm getting a little old to be learning again with a wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb_75 View Post
I'd stick with the Esprit 2, they're a good transmitter still. You know how to drive with sticks, imo there's no need to make things more difficult than they have to be by changing to a wheel.

Most people are using 2.4ghz now so it's very unlikely you will get crystal crashes with anyone. If you really want a 2.4 set I'd stick with sticks and get something like a Futaba 3GR.
@mdb I hear you ! not really sure I want to change but the new kit does seem to have some trick bits like telemetry but that's a little over budget

hard one is this
Old 27-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Redz View Post
I have a old KO espirit 2 that could be converted to 2.4hz but think it might be time to change to a wheel as it seems the way to go.
If your KO still works fine there is no need to upgrade it to a modern radio, or even upgrade it to 2.4Ghz. If it worked perfectly fine then it will still work fine today. You don't need to upgrade from 40Mhz either, we all used to use it and it worked fine, the biggest problem was crystal clashes. Now most have moved to 2.4Ghz there are a lot less people on 40Mhz to cause problems.

Steerwheels aren't better, it's just a different way of controlling your car. If you already have the radio it would be easier to use it to get you going as you won't have to learn to control it, then upgrade if you want to when you know you are going to stick with it.
Old 27-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
If your KO still works fine there is no need to upgrade it to a modern radio, or even upgrade it to 2.4Ghz. Then upgrade if you want to when you know you are going to stick with it.
Cheers Terry

Very logical and the right approach.
Old 27-01-2013

I have recently switched to a steerwheel over the winter to see if I can make the changeover.
I went for a Spektrum DX3S and its a great transmitter but Im finding it pretty hard going to be honest after nearly 20 years of using sticks.
I can get round with it but its nowhere as neat and tidy as I would like so it gets frustrating sometimes.
Old 27-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyClark View Post
I have recently switched to a steerwheel over the winter to see if I can make the changeover.
I went for a Spektrum DX3S and its a great transmitter but Im finding it pretty hard going to be honest after nearly 20 years of using sticks.
I can get round with it but its nowhere as neat and tidy as I would like so it gets frustrating sometimes.
As Ive been away for 9 years thought it might be time for a fresh start and I really like the look of the wheels.

But its sounding like I'm best of living with the sticks..
Old 27-01-2013

I had to make the change as I had broken my left thumb playing rugby and found that I was struggling to move it properly in the cold, hence throttle control was an issue

Took a bit of getting used to, but after 3 meetings or so I was right back on it. I'd been using sticks for 20 years before making the change. I've been wheel for 4-5 years now and wouldn't have it any other way
Old 28-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Redz View Post
I think I'm getting a little old to be learning again with a wheel
Nah, i did it after a 25 year lay off at (nearly) 40. Takes a few goes, and now i'm actually less bad than i used to be with sticks.
If you don't like it, sell it. Shouldn't lose too much on the deal. There's a steady trade in nearly new radio gear. I sold my 18 month old DX3C in 24 hours. And its not like your stick Tx owes you anything if its been sitting gathering dust for 9 years!

And from what i saw, getting a "decent" new stick transmitter, in the event of the old one spilling its guts, is going to cost significantly more than getting a "decent" wheel Tx. (might be wrong tho, i didn't look too hard!)
Old 28-01-2013

Thanks for the advise guys

Im going to buy a cheap handest and see how I get on for a month I will keep the Ko as backup
Old 11-02-2013

How did you get on ? I am just about to switch the other way. I have been using the DX3S for the last 5 years and fancy trying sticks. Picked up a secondhand Futaba 3vc