Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler > UK Short Course Nationals

Old 16-09-2014

Modified is what most people will be running, modified just means NOT STOCK, so I would imagine that covers just about most people in the nationals LOL

In the states the STOCK classes are popular but here not so. I think there is a market for a stock class as a cheaper way to be competitive.

The 2wd VS 4wd arguement has been done do death, go with "WHAT YOU WANT" try not to be led by the sheep to get something you dont want?

2wd call 4wd cheaters, 4wd call 2wd sore losers so it all balances out. It is argued that 2wd requires more skill, I cant comment on this as never driven a 2 wheel drive SC, I only have experience with 2wd buggy and I do not feel it requires more or less skill; you simply have to drive it differently as you have less braking ability, that said you cant just rock up and be mega fast (unless your a born superstar) out of the box in 4wd it still takes skill to learn how to go fast. Work on consistency and NOT crashing and the pace will follow.

I find my 4wd easier to work on than my 2wd buggy, its just more simple with less gears to worry about if you have to remove the gearbox. Most 4wd dont have a gearbox like you find in 2wd, just 3 very simple Differentials connected in a line.

Last edited by Justingt5; 16-09-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 16-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by whites75 View Post
Can't beat a god bit of racing to start the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq0MjW79Umc

With a modified race like this one, what's the difference to a 'normal' race - are they just allowed bigger more powerful motors on the cars?
No stock or Modified at UK SCT Nationals, can't comment on the US but I guess it will be motor/battery limits.

We run a beginners/Novice heat at A1 which currently has a health mix of Stadium trucks, Short Course and buggies running. But I guess it's a bit far from Halifax on a Tuesday evening?!
Old 16-09-2014

sadly a tad far to get to when finishng work at t time. Think my chance to practice will consist of going up onto the local moor which has a mix of grass and hardtrack to drive on and spenborough aka barely buggy club is about 25mins drive away so I guess I could practice there when its not used for club racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyro View Post
No stock or Modified at UK SCT Nationals, can't comment on the US but I guess it will be motor/battery limits.

We run a beginners/Novice heat at A1 which currently has a health mix of Stadium trucks, Short Course and buggies running. But I guess it's a bit far from Halifax on a Tuesday evening?!
Old 16-09-2014

if I saved up and got a 4wd after buying a 2wd sct and a buggy how much am i looking at to get the tekno ready to run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justingt5 View Post
Hi there,

depends what video you saw, I uploaded the 4wd final from ARC. I personally run 4wd but there is both 2wd and 4wd classes.

The power systems used depends on which class you run, 4wd tend to have much more powerful motors such as 550 size 4pole motors from 3500kv upwards.

2wd tend to stay with 540 size motors ranging from anything like an 8.5t down to 6.5ish some may be lower for the brave, they tend to be lower powered than 4wd as they cannot put the power as easily without pulling the front wheels up in the air,

RTR kits will do the job and with the right tyres and the right driver its surprising what you can do. That said if you want to race at the front then invariably its going to cost you more. The main reason I went 4wd is due to the extra strength of the cars, I ran a slash 4x4(that is for sale ready to race if your interested) and that got me a B Final win an A final finish and a 3rd in the B Final at various rounds in the SC Nationals an that was before I fitted the Pro Trac wide arm kit. I now run the Tekno SCT410 which is the strongest SC truck I have ever seen and with the right electrics its damn fast too.

Theres a couple of angles to look at this, go RTR and start from scratch, buy a cheap roller and start from scratch or get a hardcore competition truck and start from scratch. Whichever way you go its a massive learning curve if your relatively new.

Prices vary for RTR from say £180 upto £510 but you will still need a load of other stuff such as transponder, wheels, tyres, lipos, body, spares etc which all adds up. All my slash stuff is going as part of the sale you could save a fortune with that as it has all you need (apart from a different TX/RX as it dont like the servo thats in it)

Danny Conway is the man to talk to about the Team C truck, nice looking bit of kit but im sure he could still win with a stock blitz LOL The most popular chassis in the 2wd class at the SC Nats is by far the Durango Desc210, affordable and light with great setup options, however they do seem a little fragile. Much the same in 4wd with most running Durango Desc410 with Mark Everitt and Danny Conway running the team C. The Tekno turned a few heads last time out though

If your interested in the TEKNO SCT410 take a look on my website, http://teamkirk.co.uk they are available from DMS RACING for £330 but its a chassis kit only, no wheels/tyres/electrics or body.
Old 16-09-2014

All depends on what you put in it. A quality Power system could be near £300 or for budget stuff more like £150-180ish.

Add anything from £20-£90 for a servo up to the job then TX/RX unless you have one already, if not £150 will get you a good radio, £30 gets you a crap one. Just remember if you buy cheap you buy twice

Ah then you would need a body and wheels n tyres. So £30ish for shell plus paint £30. Wheels are about £12-£20 per set of 4 depending on brand etc, tyres also anything from £20 - £30 per set of 4 and you will also need inserts at £9 - £14 per set of 4.

Going middle of the road prices roughly £440 on top of the cost of the kit so £770 in all. Then just get spares as you go, or buy everything all in one hit http://teamkirk.co.uk LOL as my slash has a ton of spares and upgrades

Last edited by Justingt5; 16-09-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 16-09-2014

ok cheers it would be on my list to consider for sure once I sort my other cars first.

Enjoyed the youtube vid too which I watched earlier today, love watching buggy's but also loving watching the UK sct scene when I come across the vids on youtube.

Really looking forward to this Sunday as I am driving Down to watch the days racing in Grantham at the nationals. Will be great to watch the racing but also be good to see the cars up close too if I'm allowed to have a quick look round at them

QUOTE=Justingt5;876766]All depends on what you put in it. A quality Power system could be near £300 or for budget stuff more like £150-180ish.

Add anything from £20-£90 for a servo up to the job then TX/RX unless you have one already, if not £150 will get you a good radio, £30 gets you a crap one. Just remember if you buy cheap you buy twice

Ah then you would need a body and wheels n tyres. So £30ish for shell plus paint £30. Wheels are about £12-£20 per set of 4 depending on brand etc, tyres also anything from £20 - £30 per set of 4 and you will also need inserts at £9 - £14 per set of 4.

Going middle of the road prices roughly £440 on top of the cost of the kit so £770 in all. Then just get spares as you go, or buy everything all in one hit http://teamkirk.co.uk LOL as my slash has a ton of spares and upgrades [/QUOTE]
Old 17-09-2014

Thumbs up Team C Vehicles

I run the TM2sc in 2wd class.
Chose this due to the 2wd buggy performance, that I have used at regional and national level with great success.
I ran the DESC410r in 2012 and 13 and switched to team C TS4te for 2014 as parts and wheels etc are interchangable.
Taken a few rounds to find the sweet spot of the chassis but am somewhere near with a few mods of my own.
Simple rules to follow;
4wd class run 8th electrics
2wd class run 10th electrics
comes down to budget really, or if you are switching from 10th buggy.
Old 18-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R.C Raceway View Post
I run the TM2sc in 2wd class.
Chose this due to the 2wd buggy performance, that I have used at regional and national level with great success.
I ran the DESC410r in 2012 and 13 and switched to team C TS4te for 2014 as parts and wheels etc are interchangable.
Taken a few rounds to find the sweet spot of the chassis but am somewhere near with a few mods of my own.
Simple rules to follow;
4wd class run 8th electrics
2wd class run 10th electrics
comes down to budget really, or if you are switching from 10th buggy.
I'm getting the Losi 22 sct for starters which I would like to race at some point, and my buggy will be the losi 22.2, again would like to give it a race too - these are my first cars so need to get to grips with them before I embarrass myself in a race lol
Old 18-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by whites75 View Post
I'm getting the Losi 22 sct for starters which I would like to race at some point, and my buggy will be the losi 22.2, again would like to give it a race too - these are my first cars so need to get to grips with them before I embarrass myself in a race lol
A1 racing do a beginner class atm, which is a mixed car class for beginners.
As a first go at racing it's well worth it.
Old 18-09-2014

I think its a midweek eve and I don't usually finish work until t time so to get there from Halifax would be no go lol

just looking round at local ish tracks to me - batley buggy club would be a good club to join as its accessible for me. Not checked how farc the York club if from me in Blyth I think it is but could be another possibility too
Old 18-09-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyro View Post
Last years final round at A1 Racing Club shows how quick they can be:

http://youtu.be/UV_P2KovoUw

the track has grown somewhat as well now:
Hmm 3 of the top 4 in that final were rear motored trucks

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 20-10-2014

well I finally plumped for this sct - a second hand truck which has done all of 2 rounds with brand new electrics in it, looks pretty sweet I think

My team C TMSC2 thanks to alex callan at Moss Models

Old 20-10-2014
oOple Advertiser

Pics don't do the shell justice!

Glad you like it
Old 20-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss Models View Post
Pics don't do the shell justice!

Glad you like it
whey-hey you got your internet fixed then....finally I hear you say

look forward to Saturday when I take the slow scenic route around the course at yorcc
Old 20-10-2014

You have got the right car

Old 20-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checa View Post
You have got the right car
cool, cheers. I'm off to York with it this Saturday to try her out