Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 10-12-2010

Default Cat SX eating gears

Righto im new to the old Cat sx malarky, and tonight I fried a spur (slipper not working as it should) and then the idler gear self destructed at the end of the final (on cool down lap so all gravy!! Won by a mile btw)

Car is a Cat sx Phil Booth Lipo edition btw

Now this car is AWESOME, best 4wd ive ever had, but my question is this. IS a 5.5t unsensored too much for the drive train to cope with?? Its turned down to 80% throttle, brakes down to 30% and 0 timing advance. Still goes like a mofo on speed tho!!

Also what is the STANDARD spur and idler gear size?? the manual is as clear as mud and I need to get hold of these items TOMORROW as im racing it again Sunday. If anyone near to Crewe has the parts and wants to sell me some ill come running tomorrow with cash in me mitts!
Old 11-12-2010

Cats prefer chicken to spur gears to be honest. Also, try not frying them as the cats may like them raw.
rb5, Mission, F109, F103, F104v2 titanium, F104v2 black, 2 FF01s, FF03, TA02, TA04ss, TA04r, TA05, TT01, TL01, trf 415, M01, M02, 2 M03s, M04, M05, M06, XEVO, DB01, T2R Pro, TC3, b3, SC10, RC10 R5, E Revo, MR4 TC, MR4 TC worlds, MR4 BC SP, Ym34, xxx-t, Mad Rat, Predator DTM, Holiday Buggy (red), H.B (blue), dt03.
Old 11-12-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelie600 View Post
Righto im new to the old Cat sx malarky, and tonight I fried a spur (slipper not working as it should) and then the idler gear self destructed at the end of the final (on cool down lap so all gravy!! Won by a mile btw)

Car is a Cat sx Phil Booth Lipo edition btw

Now this car is AWESOME, best 4wd ive ever had, but my question is this. IS a 5.5t unsensored too much for the drive train to cope with?? Its turned down to 80% throttle, brakes down to 30% and 0 timing advance. Still goes like a mofo on speed tho!!

Also what is the STANDARD spur and idler gear size?? the manual is as clear as mud and I need to get hold of these items TOMORROW as im racing it again Sunday. If anyone near to Crewe has the parts and wants to sell me some ill come running tomorrow with cash in me mitts!
Spur-83
Gears-23/33
Motor wont make any difference really
Daft question but do you know how to adjust the diffs and slipper properly, dont mean on the track i mean on the bench etc in your hand!
If you can afford the new layshaft and alloy pinions from schumacher buy them! They wont melt!
Id surgest replacing your layshaft bearings too if your doing the above!
You may have play in your layshaft due to knackered bearings!
Cant remember if youve said youve been chewing spur gears up or melting them? Melting is the slipper too loose or mesh too tight possibly.
Chewing them is either the screws underneath or side of gearbox not tight enough and they can easily edjust under high jumps and heavy landings!
Get yourself some quality EDS drivers to crank them up tighter!

Anything else just ask buddy

Gaz
Old 11-12-2010

Yeah it stripped the teeth Gaz (on the spur that is) and mesh wasnt too loose or tight. Idler, may well have been the bearings havent checked them but will now! And do you have the part number of the new layshaft and associated gears!

Oh and yes slipper was set correctly was working just nice and then suddenly the teeth fell off the spur! Pinion is the Schumacher hard ally one if that makes ANY difference!

Either way the car is the nuts and its a keeper! Just need to get a clear shell so i can have my colours on it!

sorry if that made no sense ive been drinking LOL
Old 11-12-2010

The Phil Booth edition comes with the older white spurs. Put in a new black item and the slipper will be fine.

The Idlers : just lube them with some sticky high speed grease and they last a lifetime.
Old 11-12-2010

A possible reason behind spur problems could be thick stickers on the motor can.
As with rising temperatures they can warp an change the mesh of the spur.

and yes, change to the steel idlers.

Cruise
Old 11-12-2010

Reeto!! Ill get on it today!! Steel idlers Check! and black spur gear Check!!

Cheers guys! I knew there would be an answer and it werent just me being an oaf!
Old 11-12-2010

Right Black 83t spur fitted slipper set properly (I hope!) and new oe nylon idler gear fitted AND lubed up too!! So hopefully all gravy for a bit!

Whats this Gaz were on about with setting the slipper by eye on the bench. Ive set it so that it will slip but with considerable force. Basically tightened the nut up 2 1/2 turns from the drive plates just touching the pads and it seems fine to me.

Are there any other worthy mods that need doing??
Old 11-12-2010
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

also check the bearing on slipper and layshaft make sure theres no play
Old 11-12-2010

Theyre good Carl no play in them!
Old 11-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

I found mine killing idle gears and spurs quite common until I replaced the idle shaft bearings. After that no problems. I also ran AE spurs for a while until I fitted the pinion idle gear upgrade kit.
Old 11-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

What are some decent bearings for the layshaft? Seems a lot of play in the kit/option bearings from schuey.
Old 11-12-2010

Im gonna get some Blue lightning bearing kits organised if I can.

http://www.bluelightningrcproducts.com/