Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 01-07-2019

Default What 10TH 4wd buggies are running for club racing nowdays?

Hi Guys

I'm thinking of getting back into the 1/10th 4WD off road buggy racing scene after a very long break (20+ years). I have though actively been collecting vintage and fun RC cars since I was 15 (now 47).

I probably have well over 100 RC cars mostly 1/10th buggy's but many are probably well too dated (and valuable) to race at club level and more importantly the spares won't be easily available.

So what's out there and whats everyone racing with at the moment, I'm thinking something that I can use for a few years etc.

Budget wise I'm not going out there for to win the world champs just be somewhat effective whilst trying to get back into the sport.

I'm aware of the following cars that I guess are the current ones being used:

1) Schumacher K2 (Older) or L1
2) Team Associated RC10B74
3) Yokomo YZ-4 SF
4) Xray XB4

That's the only ones that I know of at the moment, am I missing any and what would you guys recommend?

I'm in Kent (I use to race at the Maidstone RC club but that closed decades ago) and I'm thinking of joining Faversham Off Road RC club, which I believe mostly run on carpet or maybe sometimes outside?

Thanks and look forward to your ideas and feedback.

Cheers

Russ

Last edited by warhead3000; 01-07-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2019
Mad Member

Post on the clubs page on here, or on their facebook page and ask what they run at the club. Or even pop in for a visit.

What car is popular there depends on the course, the local shop, any local big hitters etc.

And getting a common car means set up and getting hold of spares will be far easier.
Old 01-07-2019

As Mattr said, see what the common/popular car is at your local club. Another brand out there and very popular at our club is PR Racing
Old 01-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
Post on the clubs page on here, or on their facebook page and ask what they run at the club. Or even pop in for a visit.

What car is popular there depends on the course, the local shop, any local big hitters etc.

And getting a common car means set up and getting hold of spares will be far easier.
Cheers Mattr, Yeah it makes sense to me, unfortunatley where the club is based is not really any well known model shops so I was thinking most likely would be cars/ spares bought nationally online.

As you said getting a car that is popular and performs at the track would be ideal as well as hints and tips on setup etc.

I quite like the idea of getting a relatively new-ish car that I can run for say a few years and invest in opposed to one that is being phased out or will soon become obsolete. I also like the idea that I can add it to my large Vintage Buggy collection when I have moved on to the next range of cars. so something kinda nice

Also if I get a bit addicted to the racing (likely) I would want a platform that can perform at regional events so something that is not only competitive the local club but possibly nationally.
Old 01-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_E View Post
As Mattr said, see what the common/popular car is at your local club. Another brand out there and very popular at our club is PR Racing
Thanks Mr_E

As mentioned it would be good to get a feel for not just what is run at a local club level but also nationally in case I would like to attend regional events.

Thanks also for the suggestion of PR racing I will check them out.

Back in my first foray in to the RC buggy racing world, I started off racing with a Hotshot and then the CAT got released and I then moved on to a PB Maxima and then was one of the very first in the country (UK) to get a Yokomo YZ870C Super Dogfighter (loved that car and still have it), TT Predator, Losi XX4 and I also bought a J Concepts BJ4 1st edition but never raced it and still have it NIB.

Sorry for banging on just love the cars and the collecting and getting back to racing!

Old 01-07-2019
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Always best to check what is raced at your local clubs, helps with setup etc

Another brand to check out is the Tekno eb410

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead3000 View Post
Thanks Mr_E

As mentioned it would be good to get a feel for not just what is run at a local club level but also nationally in case I would like to attend regional events.

Thanks also for the suggestion of PR racing I will check them out.

Back in my first foray in to the RC buggy racing world, I started off racing with a Hotshot and then the CAT got released and I then moved on to a PB Maxima and then was one of the very first in the country (UK) to get a Yokomo YZ870C Super Dogfighter (loved that car and still have it), TT Predator, Losi XX4 and I also bought a J Concepts BJ4 1st edition but never raced it and still have it NIB.

Sorry for banging on just love the cars and the collecting and getting back to racing!

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 02-07-2019
Mad Member

Quote:
Cheers Mattr, Yeah it makes sense to me, unfortunatley where the club is based is not really any well known model shops so I was thinking most likely would be cars/ spares bought nationally online.
Doesn't matter, most of the popular cars at a club, you'll be able to build a handful of complete cars simply out of the spares people have in their hauler. I know i've got enough parts for my last 10th (2wd and 4wd) to build another 3 and a half cars of varying specs.
So if you break anything (goddammit, there goes another suspension hanger!) John in the corner has a spare hanger and hinge pins he can sell you for a tenner. Right now.

Quote:
I quite like the idea of getting a relatively new-ish car that I can run for say a few years and invest in opposed to one that is being phased out or will soon become obsolete. I also like the idea that I can add it to my large Vintage Buggy collection when I have moved on to the next range of cars. so something kinda nice
A lot of the front runners will be on this years platform anyway, or at least this years version of the platform. So it shouldn't matter, the last really major ohmygodtherearenosparesforthiscarthati'veonlyhad6m onths was when Durango folded.

Quote:
Also if I get a bit addicted to the racing (likely) I would want a platform that can perform at regional events so something that is not only competitive the local club but possibly nationally.
Anything running at the front locally will almost certainly be able to run at the front nationally (or internationally) the platforms now are *really, really* (really) good compared to what you'd be used to driving from way back.

I'm pretty sure my 2wd can generate more traction in the corners than my old 4wd........ and it's more stable, the suspension works, the diff works. The ESC, well, the electrics will surprise you (get popular electrics as well.)
Old 11-07-2019

Thanks Guys for all the advice, I did pop to Faversham for a look around and apparently the cars popular there are:

XRay
Schumacher
AE
Followed by Serpent and Yokomo. Apparently 2WD is more popular than 4WD.

For now I think I will stick with 4WD to get back into it but might also try a 2WD alongside the 4WD.

So keeping my eyes out for probably the top 3 makes (although the Serpent sounds interesting).

Moving on to Electrics the last time I raced it was all Nicads and Brushed motors and pretty basic ESC.

So advice would be great on the following for 1/10th 4WD:

Looking at propulsion I think ideally a ESC and Motor Combo would be a good idea (sensored) probably the equivalent of a 7-8Turn motor - maybe higher. Brand and model (ESC + Motor combo) wise I really haven't much of a clue which would be good for club racing I hear good things about Hobbywing any Idea what model would be best. Don't want to spend a fortune just a good reliable club package to get back into the Sport but could be competitive once I get a lot better????

Any suggestions on a good steering servo for 4wd 1/10th?

Lastly any good suggestions on the Batteries now Lipo is all the rage and much longer run times I guess most go for a shorty but what would be a good brand and Mah's capacity for a good run times and how many would a need for a club meet (1 -2 or more) and how quickly do these recharge?

Thanks guys sorry for all the questions but I want to try and get my head around this as it all seems very different to when I last raced and getting the electrics right seems important as I don't want to invest in poor quality or uncompetitive equipment (at least in the long run as I probably be quite poor to start with).

Looking forward to your recommendations and suggestions.
Old 12-07-2019

The Schumacher 4wd's are as popular as ever, and I believe the latest Team Associated 4wd only just came out, so if you don't mind running the last generation car you can probably find a bargain B64 with lots of upgraded parts.
Schumacher Cat 2000EC
Losi XX
Tamiya TT-02 (Rally)
Traxxas Rustler

Instagram: Lofty1984
Old 12-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty2332 View Post
The Schumacher 4wd's are as popular as ever, and I believe the latest Team Associated 4wd only just came out, so if you don't mind running the last generation car you can probably find a bargain B64 with lots of upgraded parts.
Cheers Lofty!

Seriously thinking of a last Gen Schumacher CAT K2 (as the L1 has just came out) or as you say the AE B64 as there seem to many good ones for a decent price on Ebay and other sites.

Good advice as getting back into this fun would be a bit crazy to buy the latest cars and very expensive. think I'll get the previous model and see how I get on.
Old 12-07-2019

in high grip conditions, 2wd are way much easier to drive fast than 4wd, and very fun, less maintenance, and need less power.

You don't need the last full upgraded version to be fast, just work with the head and the fingers so a B64 ou B6 for AE entousiasts, or 18' XB2 or XB4., or Schum !
Old 13-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierro View Post
in high grip conditions, 2wd are way much easier to drive fast than 4wd, and very fun, less maintenance, and need less power.

You don't need the last full upgraded version to be fast, just work with the head and the fingers so a B64 ou B6 for AE entousiasts, or 18' XB2 or XB4., or Schum !
Thanks Pierro

AS mentioned I might also think about a 2WD buggy as if running in both events you get twice the practice (I'm going to need it).

I started in 4WD Buggy's but would like start to get back into it first. I did use to race a Schumacher Fireblade, still have it but the doubt it is competitive I also actually have 2 Tamiya Dynastorms NIB but they are part of my collection and I may make one as a shelf queen, I bet they're fun to race in the vintage series. I actually have probably over 70 RC cars most vintage and off road buggies, my most recent or competitive would be a Losi XX4 NIB bought new in 2005 when I was thinking of returning then but work and traveling got in the way (I also have 2 X4's one of which is a worlds edition).
Old 13-07-2019

Guys I was originally looking at buying new, but due to the advice on here I will probably get a 2nd hand one!

With that in mind when I do select the right vehicle (likely a CAT K2 or B64), as it will be built and most likely raced a bit, when I get it should I strip it down and check it out (referring to the manual etc) checking the diffs, and shocks etc or should I just put in the electrics and get racing???

Thanks guys
Old 14-07-2019

If you are looking for a 2nd hand, go To your local track or club : When new models comes, you can find previous chassis with lots of parts from the racing guys.
Notice that you can have a ready To race car with the track set up : you won t need weeks To find the right set up : new tyres and gaaaazzzzz !!!
Old 27-07-2019

Hi Russ

I'm one of the founding members of 1066 Racing, we're based in Hastings, so not too far from you. Loads of the Faversham guys race with us too, so hopefully see you down here sometime. We have a club section on here, but I'm afraid it's rarely updated; the most up to date info is always on our Facebook page...search 1066 Racing.

During summer we only run occasional meetings on either grass or astro, but in winter we run fortnightly (maybe more this season) on a sunday night indoors on carpet. We use a HUGE sports hall, track is normally 27x17metres...great fun.

Re cars; I run an XB4 in 4WD, very strong indeed and exceptional on carpet. For 2WD I run an AE B6 which is due an upgrade soon to either a B6.1 or potentially a YZ2...so many good cars out there but as everyone has said try and use something popular for availability of spares and advice.

We have 2 guys who run small shops at our meetings; Richard Baker who goes to Faversham I think, and Chris Langley who is a Hastings lad. You'll find both easily on our FB page.

Hopefully get to meet this winter! Good luck, you'll love it, I came back 5 years ago and am fully hooked again. (though still average at best!)
Old 02-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
Hi Russ

I'm one of the founding members of 1066 Racing, we're based in Hastings, so not too far from you. Loads of the Faversham guys race with us too, so hopefully see you down here sometime. We have a club section on here, but I'm afraid it's rarely updated; the most up to date info is always on our Facebook page...search 1066 Racing.

During summer we only run occasional meetings on either grass or astro, but in winter we run fortnightly (maybe more this season) on a sunday night indoors on carpet. We use a HUGE sports hall, track is normally 27x17metres...great fun.

Re cars; I run an XB4 in 4WD, very strong indeed and exceptional on carpet. For 2WD I run an AE B6 which is due an upgrade soon to either a B6.1 or potentially a YZ2...so many good cars out there but as everyone has said try and use something popular for availability of spares and advice.

We have 2 guys who run small shops at our meetings; Richard Baker who goes to Faversham I think, and Chris Langley who is a Hastings lad. You'll find both easily on our FB page.

Hopefully get to meet this winter! Good luck, you'll love it, I came back 5 years ago and am fully hooked again. (though still average at best!)
Hi Andrew

Thanks buddy, well definitley check out 1066 Racing on Facebook and I'm close to securing a car so will pop down soon.

Currently I'm looking at a Schumacher CAT K2 that or possibly a B64 I was thinking about buying one of the latest new buggy's but have decided on a buying a 2nd hand one and run that for a while to get me back into the sport.

Last edited by warhead3000; 02-08-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-08-2019

I would have a look at the Schumacher L1 2nd hand if you can stretch a little, much better out of the box than an upgraded K2 one went on eBay for just over 200 this week absolute bargain for a current car
Schumacher Cat K2
Schumacher KF2
Tamiya DF03 Dark Impact
Tamiya TB04
Vintage Tamiya TL01 Baja Champ
Vintage Tamiya Striker
Old 03-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navek668 View Post
I would have a look at the Schumacher L1 2nd hand if you can stretch a little, much better out of the box than an upgraded K2 one went on eBay for just over 200 this week absolute bargain for a current car
Damnit, thanks Navek, I just bought a K2 for £119, would have really wanted a L1 but when I looked they were £250ish 2nd hand for an extra £80 I would've jumped at the chance of a L1!!

Will post some pics early net week
Old 03-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierro View Post

Hi Pierro

Thanks buddy actually thinking about it I actually do have a AE RC10 B4 Stealth NIB in my collection and wondered if it would still be somewhat competitive for a 2wd class on Astroturff????
Old 10-08-2019

B4 would be fun but not competitive on Astro/Carpet, everything quick is mid or forward motor now.

You might get decent money for it if it's NIB, vintage is a massive scene and NIB B4 would be getting rarer by the day I think?