Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 07-11-2014

Default My second car 2wd - which one?

Just debating wether to get a second 2wd buggy before getting a 4wd. Pretty new to racing and see many if not most people race both classes but I am thinking of waiting for say another yr before getting a 4wd to get as much experience first in 2wd?

Currently I have the yokomo bmax 2 mr ver.2 with kit parts and no hop ups - so wondered on peoples thoughts on which car to go with if I get another 2wd?

cheers

Last edited by whites75; 07-11-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-11-2014

Everyone will give you a different answer depending on what car they have them self. I have a b5m so I'd recommend that. I only got it because I've always had associated cars and I was looking for a new car when it came out.
Old 07-11-2014

most people would say a cougar kf, or another forward motor car or hybrid, for those very tacky high traction days
Old 07-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by whites75 View Post
Just debating wether to get a second 2wd buggy before getting a 4wd. Pretty new to racing and see many if not most people race both classes but I am thinking of waiting for say another yr before getting a 4wd to get as much experience first in 2wd?

Currently I have the yokomo bmax 2 mr ver.2 with kit parts and no hop ups - so wondered on peoples thoughts on which car to go with if I get another 2wd?

cheers
Well, for what is worth imo a novice racer doesn't need more than 1 2wd.
The type of car that you've got (conventional mid motor) is the most versatile type of 2wd about. Yes in ultra high grip conditions a motor forward car is faster and on really loose conditions a rear motor is better, but the conventional mid motor works pretty much anywhere. The car you've got, is a solid car and decent to drive when setup properly.

Concentrate at learning how to drive it, without mistakes and that should help bring your speed up. Swapping between different cars esp on the same day is difficult because it takes time to adjust to different driving characteristics, and it's something even experienced racers can struggle with. You'll gain a lot more by track time and learning to drive consistently.

My advice would be to stick with what you've got for at least 6 months/1 yearuntil you build up you driving a bit, that will be far more valuable than a car that is marginally quicker.

You've already got an SC, so have you really got time to drive another car? (Referring to the 4wd option). At most club nights it's impossible to run 2 classes let alone 3 and even on larger meeting 2 classes can get hectic, which if you are a novice doesn't help with improving your driving.

Consistency and track time is the key.
Old 07-11-2014

You could try a different formula? 1/8 ebuggy or 1/10 touring cars or something?
Old 07-11-2014

yep fair comment pal, valid point and will go with that, maybe I'm just getting a tad excited and rush a bit with being a newbie n all that.

Will stick with my yokomo and get mu spares and a few different parts for it and stick with that and my sct for now and wait a bit for another buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesk View Post
Well, for what is worth imo a novice racer doesn't need more than 1 2wd.
The type of car that you've got (conventional mid motor) is the most versatile type of 2wd about. Yes in ultra high grip conditions a motor forward car is faster and on really loose conditions a rear motor is better, but the conventional mid motor works pretty much anywhere. The car you've got, is a solid car and decent to drive when setup properly.

Concentrate at learning how to drive it, without mistakes and that should help bring your speed up. Swapping between different cars esp on the same day is difficult because it takes time to adjust to different driving characteristics, and it's something even experienced racers can struggle with. You'll gain a lot more by track time and learning to drive consistently.

My advice would be to stick with what you've got for at least 6 months/1 yearuntil you build up you driving a bit, that will be far more valuable than a car that is marginally quicker.

You've already got an SC, so have you really got time to drive another car? (Referring to the 4wd option). At most club nights it's impossible to run 2 classes let alone 3 and even on larger meeting 2 classes can get hectic, which if you are a novice doesn't help with improving your driving.

Consistency and track time is the key.
Old 07-11-2014

Are you coming to York tomorrow night?

If so, see you there and you can see what would be the best for you.
Old 07-11-2014

I don't think so as wife is working until 615pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretts View Post
Are you coming to York tomorrow night?

If so, see you there and you can see what would be the best for you.