Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Y.R.C.C - Yatton RC Car Club

Old 27-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

Default Important please read!!!!!

Hi All,

Numbers have been really low at our Friday night race meetings. Things are getting a little tight to keep it open. We all want to keep it open for next winter.

So the question is?

Please be honest. What would u change to make it better?

Please post below. Your feedback could help.

Team C Racing
Absima
Nuclear RC
DHR Paint
Phat Bodies
South West RC Ltd
Old 27-05-2013

I think the reason for numbers been down there more out doors meeting in summer than the winter I race worm/ Tiverton every weekend also people have budget where in the winter there only your club / worm that run is Friday the best night to run!!
Old 28-05-2013

This venue could go if numbers dont improve and we all know there is alot of racing outdoors in the summer this year with TRCCC and WORM running great meetings. I find Yatton a great venue for testing stuff before sunday racing or just getting the thumbs in tune for sunday For years I have always wanted a indoor venue to race at with the ropey English weather and we have it! I personally would like a bigger wider track with better chances to overtake and this could happen! Rob and Alan have put alot into this and it will be shame to see it go and without support it will. If you ask most racers around the country do they wish they had a indoor venue they would give there right arm for it. Sorry only my 50p worth

Martin
Old 28-05-2013

Bigger track would be the best thing better jumps and maybe more footage of racing on oople/YouTube of and so on then people will see it and more than lilkly won't to go there and check it out
Old 29-05-2013

105 views of this thread and no ideas or opinions hmmmm
Old 29-05-2013

I don't know if this is constructive or not...but for me its all about raising awareness of the sport/hobby. Posters in schools might be one way of doing this...alternatively perhaps go back to basics and organize a few one off races in as public place as we can find...old school tires and fire hose sort of thing for the track layout. I am sure enough south west racers would support it. Bristol has a massive school catchment area, it wouldn't take too many events to gauge the current level of interest that kids have for the sport.
Old 29-05-2013
Mad Member

1) Make the best you can of the venue...Done?
2) Make sure all the racers know about you...Done?
3) Make sure you charge enough to cover your rent...???

If your happy your not putting racers off with the facilities, and your not sure you can pick up any more racers in the short term...increase the price a little...I suspect your regulars will all understand and support you....

It'd probably still be WAY cheaper than a night in the pub, and I'd like to think people will see the value...

I personally wouldn't worry about comparing your race fee's with other clubs too much...you have a unique facility in the uk...so you need to set your own levels accordingly I would say. As long as it's not silly money, people will get it, and if numbers do improve you can re-value it.

???
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 29-05-2013
Mad Member

Personally don't enjoy the track(s) too much

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 29-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosborne6661 View Post
In what way Dan and be honest this isnt a witchhunt is it the size or the design? You will never match the feeling of an outdoor track as indoor is different? Does it need to flow more or more and bigger jumps?
Old 29-05-2013

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Nelson

Most if not all the guys who go to Yatton also supply worm would be nice if it worked both ways don't have to go every week and it doesn't matter if you like or dislike the track supporting a venue that gives you racing in the winter months I myself would love to be there but mostly working on Friday evening.
Perhaps try doing micro's as well
Old 29-05-2013

maybe try running on a different night?

I race at Caldi on Friday so no chance of me making the journey over the bridge to see you guys

But if it were on a Wednesday for instance then I may be tempted to come along

Hope you can keep it going for those that do race with you
Old 29-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosborne6661 View Post
Could you be more specific, do you not enjoy the track layouts or just the track/venue in general? We are trying to get as much feedback as we can to try to improve what we have and to make the racing more enjoyable for more people.
Old 29-05-2013

Apologies if this sounds a bit negative.

Most people aren't going to travel more than a 15-20 mile radius on a regular basis, due to fuel, race fees and just not been able to get there in a reasonable time.

With the outdoor season, racers are concentrating on these meeting.

Friday nights is when other clubs race, so changing to a different night may help, but then this could have a worse effect as people have work or school the following day.

It would of been nice to see more one off open meetings over the Summer, the revenue off this would of helped cover rents. Sadly though every weekend is tied up with Tiverton and Worm, having there own race series on a fortnightly basis. Shame you couldn't of taken advantage of the two recent Bank Holidays.

Open all day on certain Saturdays for open practice may work, but I can't see numbers been that high with outdoor racing on a Sunday and it would probably only have an ill effect on Friday nights.

To be honest I don't think you can rely on the regular racer, due to many of the reasons above.

A local model shop where people can chat is always a good thing, you get people through the door, the interest starts to develop and some start racing.

The only way you are going to make the club grow is to enlist locally through schools etc. New blood will always support a local club because that's what they want to do, is race every week. And if they start racing, there friends start racing.

Hopefully you can pick some positives out of my negatives
Associated RC10's, RC10T, B2 & T2
Kyosho Ultima XL
Losi JRX2, JRX Pro & Pro SE
Yokomo YZ10 94

The Veterans Inner Circle. Sponsored with Pot Noodle and Tunnocks.
Old 29-05-2013

Bit more light hearted.

Fill the place with clay and you'd have an influx of drivers all week long
Associated RC10's, RC10T, B2 & T2
Kyosho Ultima XL
Losi JRX2, JRX Pro & Pro SE
Yokomo YZ10 94

The Veterans Inner Circle. Sponsored with Pot Noodle and Tunnocks.
Old 29-05-2013

Default yatton

its a great track and a great crowd..the reason i cant make it is getting from stroud and to the club especially with the holiday traffic. i have a mate in weston and his brother are going to come along to join hope this will help a bit.
Old 29-05-2013

You could set an example and race your self every week.:-)
Old 29-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

Hmmm!!!

Ever tried running a race meeting, tuck shop, Rc shop and race all in one night.

It would make no difference Financially as Alan and I fund the club.

Team C Racing
Absima
Nuclear RC
DHR Paint
Phat Bodies
South West RC Ltd
Old 29-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by yin View Post
You could set an example and race your self every week.:-)
Are you for real ? The work and hrs those guys put in to having the track even operating with shop on site etc and this is the best you can come back with???
Old 29-05-2013

I know rent wise it doesn't work this way ,but as has been said before in the summer months ppl are gearing up generally for outdoor races at weekends and probably can't make two days racing in one weekend.
It would prob work better to run from say sept/April then I guess the numbers would be better?But guess we'd lose the venue that way?

Track wise yes maybe could be tidied up a bit but in general the track layouts have been great. It's a challenge for new guys and seasoned pros in my opinion and the racing is super close. Yes the proposed larger layout may help improve the track but in reality would it really bring any more racers (apart from reasonably locals) in? I'm unsure. Would be a real shame to see it go- the guys work hard there to run and keep it open.I live an hr away and it's tight for me to make it there on shift work, but its great to have a venue to run/ test your car if needed.
Old 29-05-2013

I'd say I have to agree with Dan on this, the tracks are a bit lame .. sorry ...

At most indoor clubs, tracks have to be built every week .. which is a proper pain in the arse but the upshot is that you have variety every week and also you tend to learn what works and what most peeps like in terms of difficulty and layout...

I'd say spend a little money on some hardboard and plywood to allow a little more variation in track type and design. I know that's easier said than done when your already strapped for the stuff ...

Maybe even have a track build night, some of us actually enjoy that sh!t

And another point, I think Yatton and our micro club at Hutton (WORM) are probably victims of the outdoor WORM's success, we only had 7 turn up last night

and while I'm thinking of it, maybe put up a permanent sign outside by the road, the traffic through Yatton in the day time is nuts !!!