Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 15-08-2008

Default Which Brushless Combo to buy?

Hi everyone
I am about to start racing again after a 3 year break. I've bought myself a b44 and a b4 but was wondering what the best brushless combo to buy is? I've seen the losi xcelorin 6.5 combo for £115 and to me that sounds like a bargain compared to others. Is it worth buying or should I go for the Novak or the LRP and pay the extra cost? Is 6.5 what most people are using? Cheers
Old 15-08-2008
oOple Contributor

Send a message via MSN to rcracer

Depends on the track and your ability tbh, i run a 6.5 but i am looking to get a 7.5 for 2wd indoor, i use the LRP esc with the novak L motor and havent had a problem with it. I m sure someone will be able to comment on the losi systems .
Old 15-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

most people run a 5.5 in 4wd and either a 6.5 or 7.5 in 2wd, depending on your local track type.

All the main brands are good, LRP, Nosram, Novak. and the losi has had good reports for the money. If you are on a budget, then the losi will probably win, if money isn;t an issue then take your pick really.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 15-08-2008

Just started back racing myself after 7 years, I have got the losi brushless combo in my pred x10. And haven't had 1 problem with it, have got it setup on my laptop. I am running the 17.5 motor, because I didn't want to get a fast motor until I can get round with out turning the car over. Will get a 6.5 in about 2 months time.
Old 15-08-2008

Thanks. So if i get a losi xcelorin 6.5 for 2wd and a novak gtb 5.5 for 4wd then i should be ok? Whats the difference between sensored and non sensored and sintered and bonded?
Old 15-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

sensored is better as it detects where the rotor is in relation to the can. Sensorless don;t have this and can stutter a little from standstill/low speed etc, or have the "cogging effect"

sintered has stronger magnets than bonded so they have a bit more torque, tend to run cooler and are a little more reliable than bonded which can shatter. the sintered give a breaking effect similar to normal motors, where as bonded "free wheel" in neutral.
in 2wd a lot of people have gone to the 12.5mm sintered rotor as it is a bit smoother than the 14mm.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 15-08-2008

Thanks!
Old 15-08-2008

Don't fully understand the technicalities of the motors so I'l leave that to the others. However, I've got a Losi sensored 6.5T in my 2wd and I am very pleased with it, and with hindsight I probably should have gone for the combo as i bought an LRP sphere speedo separately and paid 48 notes for the motor alone so in total was more like 160 quid rather than 115 for the losi combo. Being a geek I noticed that the RPM of the motor is less than the equivalent LRP motor but in real world it is more than quick enough and would say too fast for me for most tracks. No problems with reliability or anything so far (touch wood) and would thoroughly recommend one.
Old 15-08-2008

I've been running a losi xcelorin in the last half of the 2wd Regionals this year, so far its been faultless with the novak motors. It looks almost identical to the novak GTB that i run in my B44.
To be honest i'm starting to prefer the losi, trackside adjustments are soooo easy with the little plug in card!
Old 15-08-2008
#1 ZX5 fan

Carver, I'm a bit biased to Novak but two things you DO want is sensored and sintered!!!!!!

Nortech is ACE!