Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 27-01-2014

Default Gearing - 13.5 in an Awesomatix

Hey guys. I'm currently running an Awesomatix, on loan from a friend following a return to racing after a 10 year sabbatical. I'm only racing indoors at club level, and only for a bit of fun.

I've got a Dualsky 13.5 brushless fitted, along with an LRP ESC, but i've found that i'm running very hot motor temperatures at the last couple of meets. The one time I dropped the thermometer over it I got a reading of around 91C, straight from taking it off the track.

A couple of weeks ago - following a return after xmas - I found it got hot, so I knocked a couple of teeth off the pinion. I then had a nightmare few races and found it very difficualt to compare until the last meeting when I completed full races to what I class as a good result (for someone being away for so long!). From memory its now running slightly hotter than before I dropped the pinion.

Being used to the old brushed motors, and the main worry being over acceleration/topping out, this whole brushless concept is a bit odd to me.....is it right that I might actually run cooler if I add a few teeth to the pinion???? My exact gearing escapes me right now........
Old 31-01-2014

too much motor timing will cause heat,lower the timing to around 25* for blinky and gear from there,"use the torque luke"
you dont say if your boosted or blinky?
boosted turn down the motor timing as much as you can and let the esc do the work
depending on track size etc..... for blinky start with around 4fdr and boosted around 5.5/6
but also ask at the track as that will be your best source of info on gearing