Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 22-01-2014

Default Oil/Water based additive Q

I have heard on the grapevine that oil based additives have been 'banned' for BRCA sanctioned events for the GT12 class, does anyone know the reason behind this - & if it applies to any other classes?

Our club run touring cars (& the occasional GT12) & gently request that racers use the additives that come in the 'dabber' type dispensers since there is less of a risk of spillage onto the hall floor... however I understand that the LRP & Nosram additives that come in these bottles are oil based..

Another club locally has banned oil based additives across all the classes they race & I wondered if the additives our club uses are having a detrimental effect on our rubber TC tyres... or indeed if running oil based additives could contaminate for the foam tyred GT12 in a following race??
+ too many vintage racers to list!
Old 22-01-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Oil based are banned since last year pre 12th season.itvapplies to the 12th section. The list now has three addatives on it, spider green and blue and sxt.
Reason, the new addatives do not rot tyres, dry out quicker and keep the carpets in better condition.
Old 22-01-2014
Mad Member

We never used the oil-based rubber-tyre additives you are referring to in 12th, we used linseed-oil-based ones. They make the carpet slimy, have low grip and stay in the foam tyres so they rot while sitting in your tyre box.

Spider Grip Green was used at the Autosport Show event and the cars had plenty of grip. It also gives the carpet an easier ride, allowing it to dry out between meetings. HTH
Old 23-01-2014

Mmm interesting stuff Didn't realise that there were some additives that have linseed oil in them.... the last time a used that was on a cricket bat.. i'm not suprised it makes the carpet slimey!

I suppose its just somewhat annoying that if I decide to visit this 'other' club with my touring car, I cannot use the additive I normally use - & have used for many years at my more regular club... I suppose the question remains - are either of those 'approved' additives any good on rubber T.C tyres being used on carpet/primafelt?
+ too many vintage racers to list!
Old 30-01-2014

i dont think anyone runs an oil based additives at all as it ruins the carpet,lrp/nosram i believe is a solvent based additive,i i tested with no additive for 2 runs then applied lrp carpet twice and wiped dry,i went 2 laps faster on a 9 sec lap,ill be testing spider grip green this friday if allowed, to see which one is better for me
Old 31-01-2014
Mad Member

At the Autosport Show all cars - TC, F1 and GT12 - used Spider Green additive. Grip was fine. If you are racing foam tyres at a club with oil-based additive, then Spider Green works just fine. You must clean your tyres off with brake cleaner after the meeting so they don't rot away in your box.

I don't know if using Spider Green on rubber tyres would be the same result. The best thing is to go there with your Spider additive, apply it as normal and see what happens. I doubt it would be a disaster. Try both types of additive on clean tyres and see what the lap times say. You are looking for the smallest gap between your fastest lap and your average lap.

Just looking at the fastest lap is no good, you want the additive that is the most consistent across the run so checking your 'gap' is the best indicator. That will soon tell you which is best for your driving style.