Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 21-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF_Tastic View Post
There was a statement released by the banking ombudsman, to the effect that, although the banks are well within their rights to cancel peoples agreements and ask for full payment, the ombudsman would take a very dimm view on this and all such instances should be reported to them for investigation.

WOW thats good news for me then, i will have to get my claim started thanks
Old 21-04-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

thought of doing this ourself. but not to sure.

We once got charged £600 one month for going overdrawn and having some dirct debits returned, then the month after we got charged £400 for not having enough money in the bank due to the previous charges being taken out and leaving us with no money........then, we got charged the month after for going overdrawn after they took the money for the charges out of the bank....even though there wasn't enough money in the account.....again making us overdrawn again! this went on month after month. even though the money wasn't there they took the charges out leaving us overdrawn. but when it came to the mortgage being paid, they just returned the D.D. because the money wasn't there.

Its a viscious circle. and once they get you in it theres no way out.

but £1000 in two month, all for the sake of sent 2-3 letter out to us.
Old 21-04-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

My mate just got £1800. I can't get anything though, ive never gone over my overdraft....
Old 21-04-2007

one of my customers is a senior banker for natwest, i told him about this thread and all these people getting money back, most of his reply was unprintable on a forum however the gist of his reply was A. you went over an agreed limit and were charged in accordance with the terms and conditions you agreed to. B. it costs a lot of money to have somebody sitting behind a desk sending out letters to people, his quote was that it costs £5k just to put someone behind a natwest desk, he should know he pays for all the infrastructure costs.

i did point out that if the banks had such a strong case for these charges why didn't they put up a fight, his answer "don't want any bad publicity".
Old 21-04-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

I have had a few charges, but I contested it there and then, and the bank refunded all bar one for that month. It can be a viscious circle, and I have learnt only to spend the money you can afford to, not what you are allowed to.

It is hard sometimes, but I realy don't want to be in debt to anyone again.
Old 21-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelimages View Post
one of my customers is a senior banker for natwest, i told him about this thread and all these people getting money back, most of his reply was unprintable on a forum however the gist of his reply was A. you went over an agreed limit and were charged in accordance with the terms and conditions you agreed to. B. it costs a lot of money to have somebody sitting behind a desk sending out letters to people, his quote was that it costs £5k just to put someone behind a natwest desk, he should know he pays for all the infrastructure costs.

i did point out that if the banks had such a strong case for these charges why didn't they put up a fight, his answer "don't want any bad publicity".

I work for a bank and know what he said is just garbage. The problem arises because banks have used fees as a stream of income for years, and the financial services authority take a dimn view on this. Charges must cover the cost incurred to collect the money that justifies the charges.

He will say that as he want his company to perform well, the more customers do this the less his company makes. The same applies to me, my bonus come the end of the year depends on how profitable my portfolios are, and my portfolios make more money by applying these charges. If these charges are taken away from banks they will inevitably make less money. The problem you have is if customers continue to insist on these refunds the banks will punish us by other means.

Take First Direct, they are now charging customers a fee if they dont have a certain amount in there account within a 1 month period. You will see more and more of these charges being thought of over the coming months/years if we insist on the fees being refunded.

Catch 22. Should "Good" customers have to pay for those that dont manage their finances well? But do the fees justify the charges imposed.

Everyone will have their point of view, but im sure views will be based on their own experience
Old 21-04-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

In most countries, you are charged to bank with them for more than the most basic of accounts, maybe that will come in. I currently pay £7 a month to Lloyds TSB, but then for that I get AA cover, Key cover and mobile phone insurance. I think our banking (is you stay within your limits) is very good, but like everything else in this country, when they hit you, they hit you hard.

I could never understand why they needed to send you THREE automated printouts to say you had insufficient funds for the DD's, and then charge you £20 each, I can understand someone phoning me up and telling me so and charging £20, but not for a letter.
Old 21-04-2007
Mad Member

For anyone looking to claim there bank charges back there is no need to do anymore than just 1 telephone call. I do have the number sat on my desk at work. If you are using most of these no win no fee you will lose money. The number i have is for the financial ombnusmon (not sure thats how you spell it) they are the top dogs where all complaints are made. They will contact your bank on your behalf and you just wait for the reply's. They will also tell you if you ask why you can claim your money back, the gist is the banks are breaking the law with regards to how much they can charge for charges etc..... The max they can charge is £4 any over this is classed as profit making through charges......
There is also some banks at the beginning who were closing peoples accounts after claims etc.... They will also tell you this is illegal and if it does happen you could have nice payout like the guy who received £32,000.
The banks are making offers to stop getting dragged through the courts as they will lose far less.
Don't believe any bank would pay out millions just to keep reputation.
Old 22-04-2007
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by telboy View Post
thought of doing this ourself. but not to sure.

We once got charged £600 one month for going overdrawn and having some dirct debits returned, then the month after we got charged £400 for not having enough money in the bank due to the previous charges being taken out and leaving us with no money........then, we got charged the month after for going overdrawn after they took the money for the charges out of the bank....even though there wasn't enough money in the account.....again making us overdrawn again! this went on month after month. even though the money wasn't there they took the charges out leaving us overdrawn. but when it came to the mortgage being paid, they just returned the D.D. because the money wasn't there.

Its a viscious circle. and once they get you in it theres no way out.

but £1000 in two month, all for the sake of sent 2-3 letter out to us.
Tel - this is against all the rules and regs without a shaddow of doubt. They are only allowed to remove funds that are there at the given date, not put you into an overdraft situation. However, if they remove all your money on the 1st of the month and your mortgage comes out on the 2nd, this is legal.
I may be against the idea of claiming money back in most cases, (note my previous post and Wayne's previous post) there is always the fact that most of the big banks are declaring record profits...
Old 22-04-2007

Default ....

you dont need letters. I work for a large bank and the new regulations regarding complaints mean that you are well within your rights to complain over the telephone.

We used to ask customers to write in, still do often, however there is no obligation for a customer to do so. You are well within your rights to just call in, get them to take the complaint details and then let them resolve it.

I personally can see more of what DCM has whereby you are charged a monthly fee for your account, however, in the short term you'll get sweetners thrown in as he mentions.
Old 23-04-2007

Well I claimed back my bank charges over a 6year period in December last year, I settled for the first offer the made me, which was some £200 pound short of what they owed, but a nice tidy sum of £1800 just before Xmas went down very nicely. I used this website for all my tips; http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...

Old 23-04-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

Quote:
However, if they remove all your money on the 1st of the month and your mortgage comes out on the 2nd, this is legal.
What theyd do was give a date for the charges coming out, say 14/3/2003 and if the mortgage was coming out (£234 for example) on the 12/13th and there was only £233 in the bank they wouldn't take it out (obviously understandable) and that they would try again in 5 days ( which was ok 'cause my wages would be in and we could afford it). But then on the 14th the bank would take their charges out (£400) and send us overdrawn!? then of course the next week my wages went in and again we couldn't pay the mortgage. Some times if the motgage AND the chrges were coming out on the same day, they would refuse the payment on the mortgage and take out the charges, event though it sent us overdrawn.

it went on like this for a while until we couldn't afford to live and lost everything.

We just call it a learning experience and will not get into that situation again.