Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 12-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The solder rule is a good one, its just for the pos and neg terminal. It means that when someones car goes up in blue smoke it can be unplugged and made safe by the marshall trackside.... whereas a soldered wire will need cutting and therefore will remain connected while the car is burning with wheels screaming.
Old 12-11-2007
Mad Member

A very simple way to check for a bad cell in a pack is with a basic multimeter.

Any pack that is at its resting voltage (by that I mean one that has not just come off a discharger, you will see the voltage slowly rise to a steady level) should be above 1.2V per cell (7.2V for a 6-cell pack).

If any one cell is below 1.2V or if any pack is below 7.2V you know you may have something of a problem with it.

Also, if testing individual cells with a multimeter, they should all be of very similar resting voltages (I mean within a couple of hundredths) if they are acceptably equal. If 5 cells are 1.35V at rest and the other is 1.25V you can be fairly sure it is out of balance with the rest.

My advice if you think you have a problem is to equalise the pack and then charge, or in the case of a stick pack try a trickle charge which should also equalise it. However monitor the cells for excessive heat when equalising or charging, if at any point you have a cell that is more than hand-warm, stop the process and isolate the cell/pack immediately for safety.
Old 12-11-2007
oOple Contributor

I have many 0V cells (with multimeter or discharge tray)
and when they are charged it's just fine
Old 12-11-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHomie View Post
First of all I think they are talking about the terminating cells. This means that everyone will have to use plugs from now on, instead of directly soldering the wires to the cells or to the L shaped battery bars.

Secondly, you could avoid the heat of soldering the cells together, just take your battery to a professional shop that can cold solder them together for you. Takes them about 5 minutes and most often the cost is very low.
never heard of cold solder method,do you mean modelshops when you say"professional shop", while were on the subject of ib cells.i have been having problems with new packs,faulty out of the box mirage asure me once they have sorted me out packs with no dead cells.follow ib guidlines,and they will be fineso i have me fingers crossedit would make intresting reading if a thread is formed with the circumstances of all cases involved,who have had problems.
Old 12-11-2007
Lee-Mag

the problem with todays crop of cells id they discharge so fast when just sitting there so when you buy you spanking shiny new world spec cells, they may have been in the box for 2 months=DEAD!!!

I got sent some cells from shuey at the start of the season, this was followed by an email from them, build and charge you cells immediatley

Schuey are small compared to orion etc so there cells sit on the shelf for a little less time. so my theory is to buy from a smaller matcher, ie schumacher, demon etc.