Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 08-02-2014
Banned

When is the next agm?
Old 08-02-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Has anybody asked Paul Worsley? This should be first step..
Old 08-02-2014

Food for thought (I hope...)

As someone new to racing, and trying to set up and get going as quickly as possible, I have found the Turnigy LiPo's the obvious solution for my needs. As I look further into the year there are events I would like to attend (regionals etc) that are covered by the BRCA limitations.

To race in these events therefore I will need to adhere to the list of approved packs, however I am still yet to find a list of what is and isn't approved, now this could be a failure in my abilities to navigate the BRCA website (which I would fully accept) either way that would highlight an area that is difficult for new members to find.

Ideally the BRCA would hope to increase the amount of new members looking to get involved with racing competitively, it should be important to have a value manufacturer like Turnigy available to racers. I hope the manufacturer changes its mind and drives to have its packs approved.
Old 08-02-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Just buy one approved pack and use of that in the bigger brca sanctioned meetings. There are cheap approved packs out there for those on a tight budget.

BRCA approval is more about liabilities than technical performance. hobbyking turnigy packs perform well technically but without a UK company ready to back their product up its a none starter, so don't hold your breath waiting for hobbyking to get approval on their packs. the UK racer market is small fry for them anyway. it won't help them sell any more serious volume anyway. they sell far more soft case flight packs that don't require the approval process that the brca stipulate.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-02-2014

I to use Turnigy. the only thing is, If these lipo's get approved would the prise go up.
Old 08-02-2014

I have struggled to find a cheap shorty lipo On the list. This are supposed to be ready avaliable.
Old 08-02-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimidol View Post
I have struggled to find a cheap shorty lipo On the list. This are supposed to be ready avaliable.
the lists:

http://www.brca.org/sites/www.brca.o...0v1%20pdf2.pdf

http://www.brca.org/sites/www.brca.o...0v1%20pdf2.pdf

Gens ace saddles and sticks are cheap enough, but they haven't got their shorty on the list.

Intellect and HPI shorties are at the cheaper end, and I think the nvision is as well. Not turnigy cheap, but I have one approved shorty for big meetings, and a few turnigies for club racing, plus approved saddles.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-02-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big paul View Post
I to use Turnigy. the only thing is, If these lipo's get approved would the prise go up.
Hopefully not - so many people are using them anyway I can't see a huge surge in demand if they get approved.
Old 08-02-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimidol View Post
I've never had my LIPOs checked during a regional so the chances are that if you choose to run a "non-approved" lipo at a BRCA event, you'd probably get away with it.

You could also borrow a mate's BRCA LIPO for scrutineering and then stick in the Turnigy when nobody is looking
Old 08-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris56 View Post
I've never had my LIPOs checked during a regional so the chances are that if you choose to run a "non-approved" lipo at a BRCA event, you'd probably get away with it.

You could also borrow a mate's BRCA LIPO for scrutineering and then stick in the Turnigy when nobody is looking
Seriously, i am no supporter of the battery lists, but suggesting breaking the rules is not a clever thing to do. Think how you would feel if half a dozen racers followed your advice and were disqualified in an event. maybe you could even suggest they slip a third cell in as well .

Hopefully the rules will be relaxed in time, but until then there is no point trying to circumvent them as its only the racers that will lose out.

My own personal feeling is that if a battery is safe to sell in the UK, and is used as per the manufacturers guidelines, then there is no reason that the BRCA should ban then on "safety" grounds. As far as i am aware the Turnigy cells are sold legally in the uk, and are used within their safe charge and discharge ratings. If the BRCA really want to open up racing and introduce more blood, this needs to be addressed.
Old 08-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Fly View Post
Seriously, i am no supporter of the battery lists, but suggesting breaking the rules is not a clever thing to do. Think how you would feel if half a dozen racers followed your advice and were disqualified in an event. maybe you could even suggest they slip a third cell in as well .

Hopefully the rules will be relaxed in time, but until then there is no point trying to circumvent them as its only the racers that will lose out.

My own personal feeling is that if a battery is safe to sell in the UK, and is used as per the manufacturers guidelines, then there is no reason that the BRCA should ban then on "safety" grounds. As far as i am aware the Turnigy cells are sold legally in the uk, and are used within their safe charge and discharge ratings. If the BRCA really want to open up racing and introduce more blood, this needs to be addressed.
+1
I also have never been checked but if I was hitting the A final at regional then I bet I would be.
Old 08-02-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Deleted upon request.
Old 08-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy110m View Post
We'll need to get this sorted at the next AGM.

They have been approved by one of the three IFMAR Blocks, ROAR, and in my mind, a higher authority than the BRCA in global terms. So surely, if its good enough for them, its good enough for us.
Roar a higher authority!! Now you are having a laugh....they have less members than the BRCA by some margin. IFMAR/EFRA/BRCA have identical rules, Roar doesn't!
Old 08-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Gentlemen, the lists are for the nationals, it is up to your regional committee whether you use the battery list.

The lists are for BRCA events which the Regionals are too.
Old 08-02-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Haswell View Post
The lists are for BRCA events which the Regionals are too.
Thats true, Regionals are BRCA sanctioned which is why the BRCA rules have to be followed.

Just to be clear, my previous post wasn't an intended to be an open encouragement for all to break to rules, but simply highlighting the fact that scrutineering is more focused on weights, dimensions, tyres etc, and therefore running non-legal LIPOs is unlikely to be picked up on.

Nobody should actively break rules, but if you are a club racer who has never attended a regional before, it can be off-putting knowing that your equipment, that you may have spent a small fortune on, is not legal despite your local club not having an issue with them.
Old 08-02-2014
Mad Member

Can someone explain why the BRCA should change the rules that work just so a distributor can avoid paying the costs all the others pay?

Electric Board changes are proposed by your Section EB rep and taken to an EB meeting. Talk to your EB rep first.
Old 08-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Can someone explain why the BRCA should change the rules that work just so a distributor can avoid paying the costs all the others pay?

Electric Board changes are proposed by your Section EB rep and taken to an EB meeting. Talk to your EB rep first.
what are the costs that the other distributors pay?
Old 08-02-2014

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Fly View Post

Er the BRCA do not ban anything. The BRCA apply rules as voted for by the racers, is you.. If you sit at home on the last Sunday in every October then blame yourself!!
All hard case lipos can be used in all BRCA clubs and the BRCA insurance covers you. That's laid down in general rules.
The sections we race in may choose to use the EB list of approved batteries for that section, again voted for by the racers, there is no legislation that sections have to use the EB list. If the voters vote not to use the EB list, they do not have to.
Old 08-02-2014

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovechild View Post
what are the costs that the other distributors pay?
Top of my head £40 for each cell submitted and the loss of each cell submitted.

to be 100% the figure is in the application form on the BRCA EB site
Old 08-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Er the BRCA do not ban anything. The BRCA apply rules as voted for by the racers, is you.. If you sit at home on the last Sunday in every October then blame yourself!!
All hard case lipos can be used in all BRCA clubs and the BRCA insurance covers you. That's laid down in general rules.
Mark, are you sure about that statement?