Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Closed Thread

Old 13-02-2007

Black wires are the work of the Dark Side indeed, in brushless systems Smoke contained with The Force they are, but not by the Dark Side, never.
Gold plugs transport well enough Smoke in my opinion.
Mirrors - also the work of the Dark Side - he who has knowlege of mirrors is a devisive and disruptive influence - yes.

Last edited by Yoda; 13-02-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 13-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Black wires are the work of the Dark Side indeed, in brushless systems Smoke contained with The Force they are, but not by the Dark Side, never.
Gold plugs transport well enough Smoke in my opinion.
Mirrors - also the work of the Dark Side - he who has knowlege of mirrors is a devisive and disruptive influence - yes.
so by all this northy is trying to turn us towards the dark side?
Old 13-02-2007
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys View Post
Graham.

Loved the smoke explanation

I wonder how brusheless work then, it did always confuse me, is the smoke in the motor !

Seriously though, who solders their cells in ! Seems a bit overkill to me, I like the idea of un-plugging it, if it goes wrong. I guess it had a switch, but I assume that went pop too ?
i would say that most of the top drivers do this (craggy bradders dave bailey skelder's tricky )
and loads of others, more common than you think
and safer than any connector

Last edited by bigred5765; 13-02-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 13-02-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Alot of people

A
Old 13-02-2007
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
i would say that most of the top drivers do this (craggy bradders dave bailey skelder's tricky )
Carl is correct, in theory you will get less resistance.

I however do not think it makes the slightest bit of difference to your every-day driver. As long as your plugs are in good order the benefit is tiny.

Safer? Glenns car maybe proved otherwise. I have never had a plug come out during a race but I have been glad of the chance to unplug quick, for the same reason that Gelnn could not.

How many times have we seen a top drivers dad legging it through the pits an a national frantically shouting "WHO HAS AN IRON ON?".

It's not for me - too much hassle.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.

Last edited by Stu; 13-02-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 13-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Safer, yeah right !
Did you see the picture in the 1st post !
Plugs are quite common on most electrical items, allows you to un-plug them in an emergency. I find them most usefull and will continue to use them

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 13-02-2007

I can't beleive there are people these days that solders in cells?

Surely that should be banned on safety grounds? Are these same people going to one day solder in Lipos?
Old 13-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Safer? Glenns car maybe proved otherwise. I have never had a plug come out during a race but I have been glad of the chance to unplug quick, for the same reason that Glenn could not.
Stu,

Not my car but Adam Walker-CatchFire. oops that should be Catchpole.

He races 12th nationals and is @ the club most weekends and like others prefers to solder the cells in. He might just change that for the weekend @ the Chesterfield GP after Sundays experience.

I've been racing since 93 using powerpoles 1st then corallys and can't recall either unplugging.
Old 13-02-2007

Send a message via MSN to tc2k

Ive only had a corally pop out once so Id hardly say plugs are unreliable but I dont see a problem with soldering in. Although the benefit may be minimal if you have your iron on alot of the time its not much of a hassle, just preference really.
Old 13-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy's View Post
Safer, yeah right !
Did you see the picture in the 1st post !
Plugs are quite common on most electrical items, allows you to un-plug them in an emergency. I find them most usefull and will continue to use them
But lets face it Andy you see more come unplugged than u see blown up,
main reason for soldering they don't come unplugged in the race
and less resistance they don't produce heat through shorting
why do all the big lads do it ???
simple it gives you a edge, and at the speed top lads are at now it may be just the edge to win.
for Joe bloggs at club level,it may be not such a good idea
IE my speedos on fire, then well it would reduce damage but lets face facts once the MAGIC SMOKE has leaked its dead anyway
one resistor or the whole board(teesside) its still dead so unplugging make no difference there, your still looking for a new speedo.
so why not solder
Old 13-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medders View Post
I can't beleive there are people these days that solders in cells?

Surely that should be banned on safety grounds? Are these same people going to one day solder in Lipos?
so the likes of neil cragg are british champion should be banned because he solders in cells
paul bradbury
dave bailey
adam skelding
matthew latham
colin brenan
and all major big league guys do this
u lose loads of voltage and produce heat in the cables
through plugs
and yes we have had plugs even corralys come of a cause us to lose a race
Old 13-02-2007

Quote:
so the likes of neil cragg are british champion should be banned because he solders in cells
paul bradbury
dave bailey
adam skelding
matthew latham
colin brenan
and all major big league guys do this
u lose loads of voltage and produce heat in the cables
through plugs
and yes we have had plugs even corralys come of a cause us to lose a race

I just think any such sport requires rules that place people on some sort of level playing field and one of them should be that the battery must be unpluggable in the event of an emergeny. Common sense really.

I hate soldering anyway
Old 13-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medders View Post
I just think any such sport requires rules that place people on some sort of level playing field and one of them should be that the battery must be unpluggable in the event of an emergency. Common sense really.

I hate soldering anyway
so lets look at full sized cars electrical fire were the plugs there
you even need spanners to do that
and in case you rally nuts are reading yes rally cars have a battery isolator switch but it doesn't stop electrical fires
buy unplugging after the smoke has been released its still buggered, even before the magic smoke has come out there long gone. so un plugging it does nothing and how many marshals have had there fingers scorched unplugging someones car, me on more than one occasion,
Old 13-02-2007

Quote:
so lets look at full sized cars electrical fire were the plugs there
you even need spanners to do that
and in case you rally nuts are reading yes rally cars have a battery isolator switch but it doesn't stop electrical fires
buy unplugging after the smoke has been released its still buggered, even before the magic smoke has come out there long gone. so un plugging it does nothing and how many marshals have had there fingers scorched unplugging someones car, me on more than one occasion,

Or look at it another way:

In the short time I have been back in racing I have already watched in astonishment as someone got half way through soldering up a pack of cells and left the iron on whilst racing / marshalling then coming back to finish the job. These are the same pits that have kids running around the place.

If everyone soldered in their cells you are asking for trouble. Are we going to have 100 irons on in the pits. Crazy.

Bring back the Tamiya connector !!!
Old 13-02-2007
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

by unplugging it means no more damage will be done.. as in the car could go on fire..

The big boys do it because the theory is right, but they can afford to have their cars on fire if a problem will ever occur.

I'll be keeping connectors for the ease of use, safety and keep it the lazy boy way! and i'm 100% sure i'll not notice a bloody thing, and neither will your Mathew!

You also forget to mention the other drivers who do use connectors, who are up there at the top also. It's down to prefference, and wether or not people can be arsed with the bother!
Old 13-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Carl, Please take this in the light hearted manner it's intended, it's a wild guess, but I think I may have being marshalling before you got into this 'hobby' (never forget that lads it's important, this isn't a sport!), anyway I digress, I've had to marshall plenty of cars in my time that have had the speedo go POP, it used to be quite a regular thing in the good old days, anyway when a speedo goes, what happens normally is that the motor runs at full power and it's uncontrolable. Quite alarming really.

Now correct me if i'm wrong, but wrangling with somones car on your knee, running at full power with smoke coming out of it isn't good. Thankfully, when this has happened to me i've being able to, wait for it.... unplug the batteries. Horray ! Suprisingly this has the desired effect and renders the dangerous projectile usless and it can sit and smoke in peace.

If I am ever Unfortunate enough to marshall an out of control car that has the cells soldered in, i'll simply leave it to it's own devices, it's simply too dangerous to handle in my opinion. Maybe i'll leave it to one of the 'Big-Lads' to sort out, they'll know what to do !

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 13-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys View Post
Carl, Please take this in the light hearted manner it's intended, it's a wild guess, but I think I may have being marshalling before you got into this 'hobby' (never forget that lads it's important, this isn't a sport!), anyway I digress, I've had to marshall plenty of cars in my time that have had the speedo go POP, it used to be quite a regular thing in the good old days, anyway when a speedo goes, what happens normally is that the motor runs at full power and it's uncontrolable. Quite alarming really.

Now correct me if i'm wrong, but wrangling with somones car on your knee, running at full power with smoke coming out of it isn't good. Thankfully, when this has happened to me i've being able to, wait for it.... unplug the batteries. Horray ! Suprisingly this has the desired effect and renders the dangerous projectile usless and it can sit and smoke in peace.

If I am ever Unfortunate enough to marshall an out of control car that has the cells soldered in, i'll simply leave it to it's own devices, it's simply too dangerous to handle in my opinion. Maybe i'll leave it to one of the 'Big-Lads' to sort out, they'll know what to do !

I think that about sums it up
Old 13-02-2007

we have noticed and I'm sure anyone else thats solders in there cells, a big difference in heat in the car, its way less when we have been soldering in cells, you can see a difference,motors run cooler cells are cooler,and we aren't sponsored yet we pay for all our own stuff,
Old 13-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy's View Post
Carl, Please take this in the light hearted manner it's intended, it's a wild guess, but I think I may have being Marshalling before you got into this 'hobby' (never forget that lads it's important, this isn't a sport!), anyway I digress, I've had to Marshall plenty of cars in my time that have had the speedo go POP, it used to be quite a regular thing in the good old days, anyway when a speedo goes, what happens normally is that the motor runs at full power and it's uncontrollable. Quite alarming really.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wrangling with someones car on your knee, running at full power with smoke coming out of it isn't good. Thankfully, when this has happened to me I've being able to, wait for it.... unplug the batteries. Hooray ! Surprisingly this has the desired effect and renders the dangerous projectile useless and it can sit and smoke in peace.

If I am ever Unfortunate enough to Marshall an out of control car that has the cells soldered in, I'll simply leave it to it's own devices, it's simply too dangerous to handle in my opinion. Maybe I'll leave it to one of the 'Big-Lads' to sort out, they'll know what to do !
i doubt that Andy, i have been racing since before you were born probably??, me and Mick cragg race together before Neil was even born, i may have been out of the scene for 10 years but never lost touch mate, because people only seen me and my son in the last 5 years, they think I'm new but hey there wrong and Andy so are you, thats no dig at you ether why would you know that,
yes its easier to UN do battery's that have plugs (and please use good plugs corally deans etc)not bloody white tamiya kak lol, but as i said you will see more unplugged cells come lose than speedos blown up, i would much rather take the risk of frying my speedo because i solder than have a car stop I'm the middle of a final because i used plugs my humble opinion,

Last edited by bigred5765; 13-02-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 13-02-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

When im racing i always have some basic stuff in my pocket such as slipper spanner wheel nut wrech and some pliars.

So if this ever happened to me i could just cut the wires.

A
Closed Thread