Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 20-12-2016

Question My first RC?

Hey guys, first off i just want to say that is awesome to be on this forum!! and that I wasn't sure on where to post, so if it is in the wrong place just let me know and i will try to get it moved.

These days i have a little more time on my hands and not a lot to do with it. After spending most of my life scrolling through the worldwide web i came across something that interested me, RC. Now when i was younger i had an Electric Subaru 4 wheel drive and i remember it being awesome. Since then the RC world has gone crazy with some of the models i have been seeing on YouTube. My problem is i don't know where to start or what model i want? I have been looking online for a while now at the site below and some others but still can not come to a decision, so where better then here to get the information needed. I am looking for an RC that is more designed for off road buggy style (Image below), Gas or electric although i have never owned a gas powered RC before so that will be new for me.

http://www.for-sale.com/

Apart from this i am not sure what other specs i should be looking out for as i am new to the game. But if there is anything else i should take into consideration just let me know. I have also been looking into these build yourself buggies... What are you thought on these for a beginner? Thanks

Last edited by RCG; 27-12-2016 at 02:18 AM.
Old 20-12-2016
Mad Member

Im sure that this will be echoed by most....find your local club, see what they race and go from there. RC racing is a great hobby/sport, Ive met some great people from far and wide, raced all over the UK.

I hope you manage to find something that keeps you interested in RC. Its great!
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 20-12-2016
Super Moderator

Welcome to oople
First thing we need is your location so we can direct you to the local clubs, that way you can pop down there & have a chat to the racers, don't be shy as the majority of racers are very laid back & will happily chat to you, i have met some of my very best friends at race meetings
Do you have any local hobby shops? maybe see what they stock although almost anything can be found on the internet these days & most hobby shops have websites or sell on ebay

Should have asked this first really but do you want to race? or just drive for fun at the park? this will help us advise you more on the right bits to buy as if you want to race at a club you will have to have BRCA approved hardcase lipos & motors, a lipo charge sack + a BRCA race licence, most clubs will let you race there 3 times before the licence is required but it is worth having it straight away for insurance

Anyway whatever you decide to do you have come to the right website
Old 21-12-2016

I haven't even thought as far as joining a club yet but this is something i want to keep in mind. When i have decided on what RC Buggy to go for i will be learning the ropes before i jump into any clubs, don't want to look like a complete rookie. There are plenty of modeling shops in the city and a couple closer by but online is the way forward it just a little hard to know what you are getting through a photo and specs which i am clueless to whether they are good etc. Thanks for the reply's i will have a look into local clubs maybe going down and meeting the racers to see what they have to say. Be back soon
Old 22-12-2016

Thumbs up

After watching a few hours of you tube and doing a little internet research i have found the Traxxas’s Rustler XL-5 37054 seems to be a lot of fun. I have also done some research on the local racing clubs and i think Bayside RC club is the closest so i will be giving them a call soon enough
Old 22-12-2016

As said above...the biggest decision is "bashing" or "racing"......
There are some great cars/trucks for bashing but imo after a couple of runs up and down a field or park it can become boring...unless you have several mates doing the same thing.
The only way forward with RC cars is racing on an enclosed track with like minded people. Every time on the track is a challenge...to be more consistent and improve , measurable, performance..
So think carefully before going down the bashing route, you just might be wasting money..
The Traxxas Rustler xl looks good, for bashing, but is old technology..! Brushed motor and nimh battery....you should really be looking at brushless motors and lipo batteries for greater performance and much longer "run" times...
Visit your local RC clubs before deciding..
Team Associated B4.2
RC10 Worlds
Old 27-12-2016

After a phone call to the local racing club i have decided to take a day out and visit the club. They where very helpful on the phone and seemed very inviting. I will take the note on the Brushless and lipo batteries and start looking into the 21st century of RC Racing!! Thanks guys back again soon