Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 11-07-2015
Mad Member

The LRP is fine. It wasn't on my list as it isn't current. I suggest you up the timing on the Dynamite to 38 to 40 deg and gear about 65/66mmpr. If it is still cold then time up a smidge. If you like the timing where it is then go up a couple of mmpr.

I don't know enough about these speedos, except that they all use different firmware. I think the reality is that the component quality in these is a bit better than the old LRP SXX v2 hence them being a bit faster in the blink.

The Dynamite motors are underrated in my view. I sold one some time ago and regret it. The Hirosaka motor (Zen Racing) is good, and I have a GForce 10.5 in my 12th car that is also good. In reality it is all about finding the sweet spot for any motor, so sometimes a lesser motor is better than a good one outside that sweet spot.

For a reverse speedo, I'd be tempted to go for the GForce with a program box. Zen will set it up for you when you order so you can get it set just right. However, once you have reverse available it doesn't help improve your driving when you know you can just back out of trouble. Give the markers a wider berth and try getting closer rather than hitting them and backing out, you'll get better, faster.

Yes, I have a degree in Stating the Bleeding Obvious from the University of Absolutely Nowhere! HTH
Old 12-07-2015

SlowOne...
What are your thoughts on a Reedy Mach 2? I see Mark Stiles powers his car with one...

Best Wishes
Stu
Old 12-07-2015

Default Sponsorship

Mark is a Reedy sponsored driver, amongst his many 'suppliers' with him being one of the UK's best drivers.

Having said that I have used Reedy motors for years and they have always served me well and have a mach 2 in my LMP.
Old 12-07-2015

Yep appreciate he is a reedy driver...
Just wanted to know how much better than a thunder power it is...
Old 12-07-2015
Mad Member

It's a good motor, but it's not great. I have one and it is eclipsed by the Hirosaka and Killshot motors I have. In a GT12 one might find the Mach 1 a better bet.

I understand there are new motors coming from Reedy, so if you are tempted by a cheap second-hand one give it a go. If you want to splash the cash, keep it in your wallet for now. Not only are there better motors for GT12 cars now, but Reedy has rarely made their new motors worse than their old ones.
Old 24-07-2015

It's been a while, busy racing my little GT12 and she's been going great guns, very happy indeed.

Last night I may have accidentally drop my debit card on the counter of Colin Bliss models and purchased a Zen!! Ooops... Oh, and I did purchase a Trinty D4 Maxzilla motor a few days ago too, which is immense!!

Now, Shinytopman recommended me upgrading my handset from my Core RC (sticks)... Please, I would love to know what I should buy and what the benefits are of these more expensive trannys. What will I feel different to what I have now.... It looks like this little sport has taken over my life, and my money!!

Look forward to hearing your recommendations.
All the best
Stuart
Old 24-07-2015

Default radio

Hi there stu New to thread I had a code radio and swapped it for a Sanwa Gemini what a difference felt better in the Hands faster response u will not regret buying one if u go down this route yes the receivers are a little expensive but u can get them from hobbyking now and the handset is about £140 at Mb models that's a bargain for a handset with all the same bits on as the more expensive models it's the best money I ever spent
Old 24-07-2015
Mad Member

Stu, Futaba (3VCS or the new 4-something) and Sanwa (Exzes) are the most popular radios in LMP12 because they are more responsive (accuracy and speed) than others. Plenty of 3VCS on the For Sale section, and get it with the 2.4GHz module.

I am wedded to Futaba because it has never let me down. With the 3VCS you can use FRSky receivers that are £23 each and work perfectly. There isn't a cheap receiver alternative for that I know of, so the Hobbyking discount is probably your best bet. HTH
Old 24-07-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
It's a good motor, but it's not great. I have one and it is eclipsed by the Hirosaka and Killshot motors I have. In a GT12 one might find the Mach 1 a better bet.

I understand there are new motors coming from Reedy, so if you are tempted by a cheap second-hand one give it a go. If you want to splash the cash, keep it in your wallet for now. Not only are there better motors for GT12 cars now, but Reedy has rarely made their new motors worse than their old ones.
Hmmm other than the 1 is better than the 2
Old 25-07-2015

Stu, the new Futaba T4GRS looks interesting and quite a few of my large scale racing buddies have now adopted it over their 3VCS.
Old 25-07-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Hmmm other than the 1 is better than the 2
...in 1S, not the same story in 2S. 1S is the class that no one designs motors for, because the volumes don't justify it. 2S is by far the dominant class so they are designed for that and the MachII is reportedly better than the MachI.
Old 25-07-2015

Isn't this getting a bit more confusing now as some motor manufacturers are supplying 1s specific stators, Trinity for the D4 for instance is the one I'm aware of and it alters the torque/rev characteristics.
Old 25-07-2015

The new Zen, and my attempt at a snazzy paint job...
Old 25-07-2015
Mad Member

Stu, good work! Hope it goes as good as it looks.

XRacer - it is only confusing if you let it be. Reality is that there are a few good motors out there, and even then some of the less good ones are as quick in the right hands. My experience is that the LiPo will let you down long before you can tell the difference between a 1S stator and a standard one. VapexTech LiPo on top form, Hirosaka motor geared and timed correctly and I am as quick on accel and top speed as anyone. HTH
Old 26-07-2015

Stu,
Your earlier sentiments about the simple feel good factor of racing are well put. I have been racing model cars of of one sort or another for over 40 years staring with slot racing and moving onto RC later. I have always been a mid table racer and often think there is more fun to be had in mid table land than there is higher up if you see what I mean it's a case of knowing your limitations but not loosing the aspiration to be better. I race GT12 and LMP and on occasion a Tamiya Mini and for my sins am chairman of a club. I spend time setting up my cars and love the level of engineering involved. Each Week I arrive at the club hopeful I have the right setup and the car will go well and I will finally be carrying huge amounts of speed into the corners when I longer get that feeling then it will be time to stop.
You will find the Zen simply beautifully engineered and if you get any issues pop into to West Kent and ask Paul or David they are two of the most helpful guys you will find, but then ours is a sport that is full of caring helpful folk.
In terms of setting up the Zen I would advise checking the centre pivot to ensure it is not binding make sure your tyres are trued down I start at 44 front 46 rear and run a bead of superglue on each tyre wall. Then run it out of the box to see what is needed you'll find it won't be much.
Keith
Old 27-07-2015

No confusion on my behalf Stu but for newcomers there is and don't forget you were in that situation not so many months ago, seeking the advice of others to get your racing equipment and knowledge to the level it is today.

As for the Zen I'm sure you will be more than happy with it and it's relative simplicity compared to the SSGT but I did find my RSGT12 Race needed some work to get the front end as specified, this required some judicious sanding of the strut bases to achieve and match the 2 degree negative camber and ride height on each side!

I must admit the strut mouldings are not as good as the original Associated ones from the RC12E and its variants of many years back but the rest of the bits are nicely made!

Happy racing
Old 27-07-2015

Xracer, a little confused about the comment: "No confusion on my behalf"... did I say something that inspired confusion? Backed up with you saying, "don't forget you were in that situation not so many months ago" ? Looking back at my posts I don't see a comment that would inspire such remarks....

Look forward to uncrossing "our" wires..

Best wishes as ever...

Stu
Old 28-07-2015

Oops sorry to cause confusion Stu and nothing at all meant by my remarks.

What I am alluding to is the speed in which GT12 has risen from what was planned as a low cost, simplified and fun racing category into a burgeoning, ever more complex, very competitive and more costly one!

For us more 'seasoned' racers who have been in r/c model car racing since its very birth and dabbled in every category since, then it is no surprise at all, it has happened in every one to date.
There may be the odd exception to that of course as I don't want to fuel any debate that may ensue!

For the newcomer to GT12 there are now a plethora of options that can add greatly to the initial cost of that original good intention and as we are all competitive beasts, we all want the 'best' to remain so, irrespective of our own ability.

I hope that clarifies my unintentionally veiled comments, so happy racing in whatever category you choose to pursue and apologies again for any confusion!
Old 28-07-2015

Gt12 doesn't have to be silly expensive, it can be if you want to keep chasing the dream, or must always have the best (feel a bit hypocritical here seeing as i just converted to a Zen).

But i think Slow one elluded to it in another beginners thread,
Quote:
Large bucket of patience including the "think twice, do once" handle
The small packet of common sense usually missing from most model shop shelves
The goal is to enjoy your racing, come off the rostrum with a smile on your face, share some laughs as well as help and tips with your fellow racers. And if your afflicted like me with useless thumb syndrome, realise your level and make the most and enjoy.
You cant buy talent sadly, but you can enjoy the sport and racing...

I hope that makes sence......LOL
Old 28-07-2015
Mad Member

XRacer, this is my view of the GT12 world...

There are two cars out there that work out of the box - the Zen and the Mardave. To that we might add the ORE as Tony Wade in my Shootout heat did well with his new car but I don't know if he had any extras on it. The Schumacher car does have a large range of necessary options now that makes it cost more than the others and could create the impression that the class is getting more complex and in the midst of an arms race.

My Zen came as a race kit, built, and needed only one modification to reduce the front camber plus some lead to make the weight and £5 of Mardave parts for the rear end. I bought three sets of tyres and one body. That car has raced all the GT Nationals, some clubbies and two Shootouts without one extra item being bought, and will do the same again judging by the tyre and body condition.

I cannot think of another class that costs £180 to get into for the car, £45 for tyres and £13 for a body and then goes roughly 40 races without another penny being spent on running costs. It's my choice to change the motor and experiment with front springs (I am back on the kit ones!) as well as having a go through the available additives.

Compared to the vision we had when the class started we've only compromised on the cost of the car. I would argue that those 'extras' make the cars better to drive and enhance the class, and none of them are things needing replacing during the life of the car. Everything else we hoped for we have in terms of cost, enjoyment of the racing and suitability to clubs and club racing. Those rules have allowed two new manufacturers to come into the Section, neither of whom have large R&D budgets - another good thing.

Additionally, the target price for a raceable car serves to keep the cost of the 'race' chassis' down - there isn't a whole host of things that are added to cars every year in the hope people will buy a new one as the costs cannot be recovered in high prices.

Low cost is about the initial purchase price, yes. But mainly it is about the running costs and those are lowest in GT12. Sure you can spend more, but I have placed where I belong in every race by spending no more than mentioned above.

Every new class has to settle down, and that is part of what is happening now. Zen and Mardave offer cars that go straight out of the box so that process has started. As sure as God made little green apples Schumacher will update their car and then it will be on the same level as the Zen and Mardave. At that point it will be a 'buy and race' class par excellence.

As usual, just my thoughts...