Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 30-03-2015

Default new to the sport need setup advice

so i bought a xray t3 off eBay and all its problems !!!! i am trying to set it up for my 15 year old girl but every time we think we have got it we put it on the track and there's problems, we get about 3 min practice then 4 heats most of our time is wasted on set up instead or racing, we think we have a balance issue under acceleration it pulls to one side not always the same side, was hoping for some tips on sorting it out, the guys and girl at the club have been amazing at helping us but they have here own races and i know they are going to get fed up with helping soon if we don't get on top of it our selves, been trying to balance the car tonight but got no scales or hudy tools so has been a bit frustrating next race is in 2 days and just want a driveable car any tips would be great for set up without buying anything as we will not get it to us in time, i have thought about striping the car down and rebuilding it but again this would not be possible in the short time frame but in general would this be a good idea? thanks for any help in advance.
Old 30-03-2015

Where abouts are you ? Might be better to have someone have a look at it for you as its one of those, so many little things it could be problems....
Old 31-03-2015

Yes strip the car down but not completely
Remove wheels, shocks and roll bars, check each wishbone lifts and falls under its own weight.
Remove pinion or move motor away from spur check all turns free
Belt tension should be front almost tight rear almost loose
For balancing I have a piece of wood with a screw through the tip of the screw is filed to a 45* ish point, it's rough but it shows if you are way out
Get a ride height gauge and camber gauge that is all you really need
Old 31-03-2015

Try disconnecting the link to the servo and check the steering mechanism is free. Because it doesn't pull to the same side all the time, makes me think that there's a sticky bit in the steering linkage somewhere. If it's free, fully from left to right lock with no binding when the servo is disconnected, then I would look at getting a shot of someones setup gauges and set up the camber and toe properly front and rear, if the problem still persists then try another servo.
Old 31-03-2015

thanks everyone lots to try here but do not think i will be able to before Wednesdays race but will try a few bits, i'm not far from junction 24 M1 Sawley long eaton