Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 15-07-2008
Administrator

Default Crawlers!?

Who's into these Crawler things then? they seem to be getting a bit more mainstream now. I've wanted one for a long-long time but it wasn't till the AX10 came out that I really thought I'd get one - and now the Tamiya CR01 is out as well I'm quite tempted. I know the Tamiya probably isn't quite the 'competition' crawler, but it looks pretty nice
Anyone have one of these to, and any thoughts on them?

Is there much crawling in the UK? I know Andy Ryan has some super custom made clod-based thing, but I don't think they appeal to me as much as the slightly more 'scale' looking AX10 and CR01

Anyway, I thought it was time for a 'Truck' forum since I've always liked scale trucks - I've owned a very nice Bruiser (and sold it) and had the F350 but never got round to build it and then swapped it.

Last edited by jimmy; 15-07-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 15-07-2008

they do quite a lot down derbyshire jimmy they do the open class like i have or they do the scale ones i think the website is www.ukrcrc.com
Old 15-07-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

jimmy, I been fancyung the cr01, but there are some issues with the centre props twisting.
Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

My AX-10 should be here tomorrow wanted to do it for a long time and due to recent 'happenings' its gives me the perfect opportunity to do it.
Old 15-07-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
they do quite a lot down derbyshire jimmy they do the open class like i have or they do the scale ones i think the website is www.ukrcrc.com
you got the dot com in the wrong place

link is www.ukrcrc.com
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 15-07-2008

Hey Jimmy,

Crawlers are the future!

Here are some pics of my modified CR-01 Land Cruiser with rear wheel steer (note the decals) and also me competing at this years Rock Crawling Nationals with my Axial AX-10 Comp Rig

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02067.jpg (74.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02078.jpg (75.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02081.jpg (124.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02098.jpg (133.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02099.jpg (130.2 KB, 30 views)
Tamiya
HPI Racing
Old 15-07-2008

I'm sure others get a lot of enjoyment from it, and I suppose it adds a nice bit of diversity to the RC scene, but why though????? Hardly exciting is it...nor is it a decent spectator sport.

Just my opinion...but Rock Crawling sucks big time....not for me at all.

Now where's my 65 turn motor?

Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Why?!?!?! Because its probably one of the most realistic form of RC driving and you can get an hours running off a 1500mah lipo
Old 15-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddybux View Post
I'm sure others get a lot of enjoyment from it, and I suppose it adds a nice bit of diversity to the RC scene, but why though????? Hardly exciting is it...nor is it a decent spectator sport.

Now where's my 65 turn motor?
Just my humble opinion, but this years Nats had as many spectators as some Buggy Nats, maybe more. There were also a lot of oohs and aah and cheers from spectators during runs..

Exciting doesn't have to involve speed
Tamiya
HPI Racing
Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKP View Post
Exciting doesn't have to involve speed
Although im going to have admit it does help thats why me and 2 friends are also building a 12 cell tubular drag car just for kicks.
Old 15-07-2008

I've got an AX10 its great fun...... i've made a few modifications to the links and now it climbs really well..... very little torque twist.

Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Rossco, awesome looking rig I think im going for something like that but im getting a Landy shell and going proper scale on it. I think im going to put my cells like you have as well, did you make a mounting plate for them or are they just strapped to the axle?
Old 15-07-2008
Mad Member

Great timing there Jimmy, we just spent last weekend running the crawler nationals. Read the reports on it in upcoming Radio Race Car,(Dez dropped an article just to get it in next months magazine) Racer and Maxbashing magazine, and it is heavily supported and promoted by CML right now, they actually supplied complete kits as prizes.

Crawling has been around in the UK for a few years, but there's only been a small amount of interest until the last year with the release of the AX10. It's the fastest growing section of r/c cars right now and judging by the 52 competitors (we couldn't run any more!) that turned up and the feedback I got from going round talking to the spectators it's going to be even bigger next year.

It's not something most people think about until they see the trucks in action or try it for themselves, just seeing what they are capable of. There's also the build it yourself side to it. In buggies you buy a kit and fit whatever parts the fastest lads are using, copy their setups and that's it. Crawling is all about developing your own truck, adding what parts you think necessary to make it work with your own style. Imagine trying to build your own buggy by using whichever front end, rear end, transmission and chassis you think is the best and putting them together instead of just buying the kit off the shelf. The course is laid out with waypoints and it's up to you to figure out how to get your truck to each point without scoring penalty points (or in my case without breaking it) so requires thinking about rather than just following the same line as everyone else.

Photos from this years nationals are here
http://www.ukrcrc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3260
and from the previous nationals
http://www.ukrcrc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=894

Here's a video from a US competition, it's a 60mb download but it's the best video I've seen of them and it shows just what they are capable of http://smregal.com/vids/RC%20vids/co...n%20Finale.wmv

Here's my two rigs.
2.2" class (photo by Dez Chand )

My Super class - twin 65T motors running on 12 volts.

Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

That clod super is quite impressive but im more for the scale looking 2.2's and 1.9's, id quite like a tamiya XC/CC as a scaler with a landy shell on.
Old 15-07-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddybux View Post
Hardly exciting is it...nor is it a decent spectator sport.
And buggy racing is? How many fellow racers spend their time at a national watching the other drivers running, and how interesting is a race if no one you know is racing? For the spectator crawling shows either the great skill of the driver to climb over the obstacles without penalties at one extreme, and at the other extreme it's the r/c equivalent of You've Been Framed

No matter how good or bad they were every driver got a round of applause after their run, I don't see that much interest from spectators in any other branch of r/c cars.

Quote:
I didn't think much of it until I had a go and my Super is now my most expensive r/c truck.

Even if you went crawling every weekend the tyres last forever, (there's only one person I know who has actually worn tyres out on a Super and it took him a year!) brushed motors never need rebuilding and you only need 1400mah batteries
Old 15-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_smaxx View Post
Rossco, awesome looking rig I think im going for something like that but im getting a Landy shell and going proper scale on it. I think im going to put my cells like you have as well, did you make a mounting plate for them or are they just strapped to the axle?
My cells are just strapped on to the axle using the two velcro straps that came with the kit...... they seem to do the job fine.

don't get too attached to a nice shell on your crawler as sliding down rough as hell rocks on your roof does tend to take the shine off them (literally)
Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post

Even if you went crawling every weekend the tyres last forever, (there's only one person I know who has actually worn tyres out on a Super and it took him a year!)
Thats the part i am most looking forward to £22 for a set of tires, dont need to change the foams and beadlock wheels means same wheels used everytime and no more acetone
Old 15-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco_4 View Post
don't get too attached to a nice shell on your crawler as sliding down rough as hell rocks on your roof does tend to take the shine off them (literally)
Ah yes, i have plans for that. I paint the inside of the shell a rust colour, then on the outside layer it with silver, primer colour then body colour (probably green) so when it scrathes away it looks realistic, learnt that trick on RCC
Old 15-07-2008

Send a message via MSN to gazbaz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_smaxx View Post
Why?!?!?! Because its probably one of the most realistic form of RC driving and you can get an hours running off a 1500mah lipo

relistic ??????? lmao give me a brake, i must agrea with Fiddybux, not for me at all.
an hour of running, bloody hell, i would have fallen asleep by then

Thats a great BIG no for me

1/8th rallycross now there's a more relistic form of RC driving
Old 15-07-2008
Administrator

What landy shells are available? I like the CR01 mainly because it's a tamiya and looks cool! I don't mind the modified clods but they don't really appeal to me that much - I like scale stuff much more. I think I saw a Ax10 in orange? or did I dream that? I'd happily have one of those badboys but I'm leaning toward the tamiya - just gotta convince vicky its a good idea lol