Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 12-02-2020

Family portrait.

Old 08-03-2020

Evolution of the spur gear.

The first T1 cars used the tried and trusted Kimbrough nylon spur gear, in a 93t 48dp size. Later cars and all subsequent versions used Xrays own spur gear.

It’s not well known, but late T1 evo2 and some T1R had a different, development style gear. This gear was unique as it had no additional holes other than the mounting holes. As we all recognise Xray spur gear have multiple lightening holes in them, these early gears look strange!

Old 08-03-2020

The T1R I posted a pic of earlier needed a new chassis plate. The car was new, but the chassis plate had been modified (badly) to accept a brushless motor. It has taken me a few weeks to get hold of a chassis, this one arrived today from Australia.

I'll transfer it over this evening and upload some better pics.
Old 11-03-2020
Mad Member

Nice growing family of T1's you have there.
funnily enough the T1 is the car that got me into RC back when it came out.
one of the guys at work bought one & it was a "Wow look at this thing" moment.
we were all from an engineering background & we'd never seen a toy car like it.
anyway after a few years racing offroad nitro i bought one to maybe turn into a drift car. never really did but for a while i was buying pretty much everything T1 that came along!
i now have a LOAD of T1 stuff, quite a bit of it still new in packets.
i'll dig it out for something to do if we get put on quarantine
Old 12-03-2020

Thanks showtime, feel free to post any pics you have.

Another one landed today, and a LOAD of spares. I’m currently stripping and cleaning it, it’s amazing how even unused cars end up so grubby!
Old 14-03-2020

So this new one is an Evo2, 300002. It's been built up quite badly and never used. I'm going to have to invest in a new chassis plate as it has been sanded and glued quite badly. Not to worry, as I will put this chassis plate on my racer, as the one on it is almost worn out. I can remove the superglue with a soak in acetone, but its still won't quite be good enough for the rest of this car.

It needed a couple of steering knuckles as there were plier marks from assembly. That's ok tho as some arrived in the spares package.

The dampers also need attention, this is tonights job. Looks like the same pliers used on the knuckles were used to assemble the dampers. I have a few spares to fall back on.

Apart from that, it's all good. The belts are bright, the anodising hasn't faded, and the box and manuals are a lovely bonus.

Last edited by kanerdog1x1; 14-03-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 14-03-2020

Let me show you some pics of the dampers.

How can people be so careless when building them?

Luckily I have a fair few spare parts stashed away. When I build any shocks, even on a new car I tend to give the shafts a bit of a polish with the drill and some peek.

Luckily all of the parts I needed came from a couple of spares packets, a 308360 shock shaft kit and a really old 308310 frame kit. I needed two bottom eyes, a seal head, and all four top eyes to make this lot right. I also swapped two of the top caps for some without scratches.

Whilst I was assembling some new 4way pistons onto the shafts I popped the metal parts in to the tumbler for half hour. This gives a lovely sheen to the polished areas, and makes them look ‘new’ without looking ‘polished’.

Ready to build.

Once built, inserting the ball studs seems to fox most, I use some nifty knipex pliers that close parallel and have no serrations. I have tiny set I take to the track, but these slightly bigger ones are ideal for builds as the mating faces are that bit bigger.

What’s not obvious in this pic is that I have put the top ball stud in backwards, it’s a ‘top tip’ from back in the day to free up the suspension. I think it looks better as it has the little key in the top cap on show.

Old 28-03-2020

So time for an update to the collection.

The T1evo2 now wears a new chassis plate. I found this on eBay by widening my search and deleting all my cookies etc. It was a lucky find as it was wrongly packaged/labelled as a 306160 6cell battery strap!

Turned out lovely. Here's a close up of what I mean with the key on the dampers.

As I said earlier, this one came with not only the box, but also the manuals and serial number card.

Old 28-03-2020

Some better images of the T1R, this was also just waiting for its new chassis plate.

Old 28-03-2020

And the T1FK. The only worry with this kit is that the shock oil is leaking inside the sealed bag. I have put this inside of a sealy bag in case it ruptures or bleeds.

I'd love to build this, but I guess it will lose its attraction if it's built.
Old 28-03-2020

A few of the T1M.

Leading on to the idea that I might have a problem...

Old 28-03-2020

These are the wheels that were included with the T1, and a similar type with later versions of the T1 cars, and T2, right up until Xray opted to use the smaller boxes leaving no room for them in the packaging. The early 305940 Starburst wheel. The later hard version is still available as the 803001.

I have these regular ones that have yellowed over time, and I intend to bleach them as soon as I get a bright sunny day.

Old 28-03-2020

I wonder what we can glean from the serial numbers I have?

001922 in from the first version, with the metal diff carriers.
003785 is from the Evo2.
005408 is from the later Evo2FC.
007191 is from the T1FK.
Old 28-03-2020

They're cool. I wish they still did the cards.
And yeah you do have a problem.

Last edited by Wig; 28-03-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 29-03-2020

Cheers Wig.

Here's some pics of the racer. I've used it once so far, but have put a brushed motor in since then. The thing I like most is that it's a very safe chassis to drive, and is VERY responsive to changes. That's great because you can learn a lot from chassis settings very quickly.

The dampers came in a job lot, they're proper Xray ones with the 4step adjusters, rather than the Serpent bodies I have on the other car.

I have also tidied up the battery tray since last time.

This is the chassis plate that was included with the EVO2 car. It's perfect for this racer.

And these HPI Stratus shells are perfect for this era.

I even raided the vintage sticker stash for some period items.

This is the car I'm most looking forward to use when this CoViD thing is all over. I'm going in completely blind with FDR, small indoor carpet track, reasonably high revving 27t brushed? Ill have a whole bunch of spurs and pinions with me so I'm sure I'll get there soon enough.
Old 03-05-2020

In this dire time I have been honing my collection. I decided that the original one I built from spares might be better displayed as a T1FoC, a version that I am missing. I have a box, manual, and card for one, but no actual model.

It was simply a case of removing the majority of the upgrades, the Hudy axles, the weights, the aluminium uprights etc. I did however replace the wishbones as I wasn't happy with the threaded holes the roll bars left when removed.

Very happy with the outcome. The two chassis are identical apart from the suspension and stickers.

This then left me with a ruck of upgrade parts. I found a little used T1 in Australia that arrived with its box, setup system, even the Hudy wrenches! It was the perfect donor car to hang the upgrades to. The bulkheads are perfect, and the few parts that were marked I with new plastics and new drive shafts.

I'm waiting for a pair of short Hudy axles to arrive, and a front belt. I'm running out of front body mounts too, but may simply use some trimmed super short ones on this as I have a plan to display it once it's complete.

Old 08-05-2020

Front belt arrived during the week along with the short axles, so disassembled half the car to get them in.

And pretty much done. I built the dampers up last night, they're pretty much all Serpent parts, apart from the front lowering spring cups and the actual springs. Because they use Serpent shafts, I opted to use 3 holes pistons as the 4step Serpent parts are terrible.

Old 08-05-2020

And this also happened this week.

Both brand new, I couldn't resist building one. I assembled it on Wednesday evening, and just completed the dampers this morning.

I love how far they pushed the lightweight aspect of every detail on the chassis. The outdrives front and rear are pocketed, even the centres of the dog bones on the drive shafts are hollow. Also, the wheel axles are lightened, I'll post again about this.

The bulkheads are constructed lighter than the earlier T1 and Evo2 kits, the webs are far thinner.

One aspect of the design I don't like though is the motor mount being a separate part entirely from the rear bulkhead, so theres no direct connection other than the chassis and top deck between these two parts, so there's more chance of stripping a spur in a tap.

Old 22-07-2020

Yesterday evening was the first time at the track since march. Just open pit lane, which I don't really enjoy. I prefer the structure and stress of actual qualifying and races.

The car performed well enough, but that old motor was a combination of slow and not very fast. Testing was way off, I slowly geared it up through the evening so it sounded like it was topping out 3/4 of the way down the straight, but then some of the smoke started to escape, so I called it a night.

The speed control is a lovely thing. The pots for the power and brakes make a noticeable difference, and the power delivery is smooth. I'm likely going to reinstall the brushless setup as it's pretty fit&forget. Unless I can find a 19t spec motor maybe.
Old 01-09-2020

Framed these two POS posters recently, and hung them in the office at work.

Great to enjoy them more often.