Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Xtreme - VEGA

Old 21-08-2016
Mad Member

Default Predator release dates and model types

Is there a list of car model types and there release dates anywhere?
Old 22-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz75 View Post
Is there a list of car model types and there release dates anywhere?
Not sure, somebody should do a wiki page. The first Pred came out at the very end of 1993. It won it's first big meeting at the ME exhibition at Olympia, that was in Jan 94 and got the national championship that year too. The second model officially dropped the Predator name and was called TTech95. Everyone still called it a Predator though. That's all I've got. I'd love to see what a clean sheet 2016 Pred would look like, by the original designer, even if it was just virtual. So far ahead of its time in 93 and in some aspects like aerodynamics still miles ahead...
Old 24-08-2016

Predator Buggies :

1993 - Predator ( Few kits right at the end of '93, large woven propshaft, gold anodizing )
1994 - Predator XT ( Main production, same as above )
1995 - 95 One ( old XT's sold as '95 One's with some 95 Pro parts )
1995 - 95 Pro ( XT with upgraded new dark blue anodized parts, smaller carbon rod propshaft )
1996 - National ( First of the Inj Moulded Chassis with mainly dark blue anodized 95 Pro parts on, no slipper, stick pack layout )
1996 - International ( Upgraded version of National with slipper with dark blue anodized parts )
1997 - XK5 ( Upgraded International, mainly red anodized parts although some kits had leftover International dark blue anodized parts included )
1998 - XK98 Mitcham ( Actually late 1997 ) ( Bigger change with saddle pack layout, basically Mitchams race-winning modified XK5 proto in production form, red anodizing )
1999 - ETQ ( Actually late 1998 ) ( Minor upgraded XK98, still red anodizing, still saddle )
2000 - P8 ( Minor upgraded ETQ, black anodized parts, still saddle )
2005 - X10 ( Semi-major upgrade of the P8, silver anodizing, more metal parts such as rockers, saddle - early & late releases with minor differences )
2006 - XRS ( Downgraded X10, basically a ETQ/P8 with softer plastics, saddle )
2007 - X11 ( Major redesigned kits, light blue anodizing, saddle )
2008 - X11-08 Lipo ( X11 re-vamped to Lipo, light blue & orange anodizing, although some had some parts dark blue anodizing on shocks, stick pack )

Remember that there is always some confusion over some exact release dates, as some of the Team Drivers ( like William Mitcham for example ) were running old/current modified/proto cars that were effectively the next production car. Some like the ETQ and P8 were almost exactly the same bar anodizing - in fact you could make a P8 in extra parts with an ETQ and Options, before it became the P8 with Black Anodizing.

Ive included some differences between the kits to show one or two major changes between models - I could list all the differences between kits, but would take too much typing...

Last edited by Dyna; 24-08-2016 at 01:33 PM. Reason: I wanted to.
Old 24-08-2016
Mad Member

Awesome stuff dyna thanks, now has anyone got one for sale lol
Old 24-08-2016

Yes, nice work!
Old 30-08-2016
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyna View Post
Predator Buggies :

1993 - Predator ( Few kits right at the end of '93, large woven propshaft, gold anodizing )
1994 - Predator XT ( Main production, same as above )
1995 - 95 One ( old XT's sold as '95 One's with some 95 Pro parts )
1995 - 95 Pro ( XT with upgraded new dark blue anodized parts, smaller carbon rod propshaft )
1996 - National ( First of the Inj Moulded Chassis with mainly dark blue anodized 95 Pro parts on, no slipper, stick pack layout )
1996 - International ( Upgraded version of National with slipper with dark blue anodized parts )
1997 - XK5 ( Upgraded International, mainly red anodized parts although some kits had leftover International dark blue anodized parts included )
1998 - XK98 Mitcham ( Actually late 1997 ) ( Bigger change with saddle pack layout, basically Mitchams race-winning modified XK5 proto in production form, red anodizing )
1999 - ETQ ( Actually late 1998 ) ( Minor upgraded XK98, still red anodizing, still saddle )
2000 - P8 ( Minor upgraded ETQ, black anodized parts, still saddle )
2005 - X10 ( Semi-major upgrade of the P8, silver anodizing, more metal parts such as rockers, saddle - early & late releases with minor differences )
2006 - XRS ( Downgraded X10, basically a ETQ/P8 with softer plastics, saddle )
2007 - X11 ( Major redesigned kits, light blue anodizing, saddle )
2008 - X11-08 Lipo ( X11 re-vamped to Lipo, light blue & orange anodizing, although some had some parts dark blue anodizing on shocks, stick pack )

Remember that there is always some confusion over some exact release dates, as some of the Team Drivers ( like William Mitcham for example ) were running old/current modified/proto cars that were effectively the next production car. Some like the ETQ and P8 were almost exactly the same bar anodizing - in fact you could make a P8 in extra parts with an ETQ and Options, before it became the P8 with Black Anodizing.

Ive included some differences between the kits to show one or two major changes between models - I could list all the differences between kits, but would take too much typing...

Matt, youd probably kill me, I had one of the first and was going to chuck it, when someone offered me a swop. Only used it for one round, it was awful.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 30-08-2016
Mad Member

Fast but broke a lot was my main memory
Old 31-08-2016

Default Predator X10

On US Ebay is a unbuilt X10 for auction.
Old 09-01-2017
Awesome Admin

Go on then Dyna what's this one

Old 09-01-2017
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakey View Post
Go on then Dyna what's this one

hmm, I thought that one was super easy, but I'm not so sure on closer look
Old 09-01-2017
Awesome Admin

Lols like an XT But until it arrives and I get a look at the serial number I'm not sure
Old 10-01-2017
Mad Member

That's what I thought, but the lack of any webs on the rear wishbone made me wonder if it was one of the first pre XT's.
Old 10-01-2017

Ok that got me, i was looking on the other thread lol..

We really need to see the Serial Number. Starting with 3,4 and 5 correspond with the year of manufacture. 1 and 7 starting numbers are different matters altogether...

If its a '93' prefix its a Predator with a 95 Pro rear wing
If its a '94' prefix its a Predator XT with a 95 Pro rear wing
If its a '95' prefix its a 95 One.

My guess would be a earlier '94' XT. The main reason there were very few '93's actually made for starters. And there were hardly any at all 95' Ones around. And later ones could have the large woven propshaft slipper fitted which is quite rare, which this one doesnt. The wing could indicate a '95 One but most probably just a replacement wing as the original plastic ones do bend easily.

Someone has also replaced the rear turnbuckles. Wheels would be nice to be orange but white was also correct. They also did the f&r wings in white, but very rare to find these days.

Rest of the buggy looks in excellent order and 99.9% period. Wishbones are all nice and correct - i see so many 'early' Preds with later wishbones its untrue - front gearbox top looks to the the correct one as is the nosecone. U/J's look correct. The car looks barely used, if at all.

Rear turnbuckles youll need to change and i'd personally match up the damper springs to the same colour instead of one set red and one black - just looks nicer in my opinion being matched. Your missing the lexan 'aero' wing covers but thats no suprise, they never lasted long and most people never even put them on tbh. Thats about it from what i can see in that single picture.

An excellent example of an early Predator, there are very few about like that in that condition and that originality. Most are 'bitsa's' that youd spend too much time and money tracking down the correct period parts. Originality is Key with Preds, this one has it in spades.

Put some decent pictures up when you get it
Old 10-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
That's what I thought, but the lack of any webs on the rear wishbone made me wonder if it was one of the first pre XT's.
Good spot on the rear lower wishbones, but those are standard with most Predators and Predator XT's. The early webbed versions came later on. And even then sometimes older stock parts were used in later kits to use them up.

Wishbones were an item changed regulary, as they were constantly strengthened and tweaked. The really early front upper wishbones were even less than you see here. And of course people retro-fitted later parts onto their cars when the orignals broke.

There are other examples of using earlier parts on later kits - for example there the XK5 was always supposed to be 100% red anodized, but old stock Blue anodized International parts were sometimes bundled in with the XK5 kits.

Just a good way of using up old parts.

Last edited by Dyna; 10-01-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2017
Mad Member

Did you work for them dyna
Old 10-01-2017

Noooo never worked for them at all

But as a designer and engineer i can appreciate the car and what it took to get it into production, and what Richard & the TTech staff did to keep it going for so long, still be top-end competitive and with minimal resources and staff with what was pretty much a unchanged design. No mean feat to do that i can tell you. Team Xtreme also deserve praise for the evolution design of the X11, a car that is still competitive today on selective tracks.

I've spent years learning about them, buying dozens of them, racing & modifying them with new parts. I dont know everything about them by a long shot, but probably more than most.
Old 10-01-2017
Mad Member

Great stuff I've always loved the car it's a shame they aren't still going. If you ever decide to sell any let me know
Old 10-01-2017
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyna View Post
Ok that got me, i was looking on the other thread lol..

We really need to see the Serial Number. Starting with 3,4 and 5 correspond with the year of manufacture. 1 and 7 starting numbers are different matters altogether...

If its a '93' prefix its a Predator with a 95 Pro rear wing
If its a '94' prefix its a Predator XT with a 95 Pro rear wing
If its a '95' prefix its a 95 One.

My guess would be a earlier '94' XT. The main reason there were very few '93's actually made for starters. And there were hardly any at all 95' Ones around. And later ones could have the large woven propshaft slipper fitted which is quite rare, which this one doesnt. The wing could indicate a '95 One but most probably just a replacement wing as the original plastic ones do bend easily.

Someone has also replaced the rear turnbuckles. Wheels would be nice to be orange but white was also correct. They also did the f&r wings in white, but very rare to find these days.

Rest of the buggy looks in excellent order and 99.9% period. Wishbones are all nice and correct - i see so many 'early' Preds with later wishbones its untrue - front gearbox top looks to the the correct one as is the nosecone. U/J's look correct. The car looks barely used, if at all.

Rear turnbuckles youll need to change and i'd personally match up the damper springs to the same colour instead of one set red and one black - just looks nicer in my opinion being matched. Your missing the lexan 'aero' wing covers but thats no suprise, they never lasted long and most people never even put them on tbh. Thats about it from what i can see in that single picture.

An excellent example of an early Predator, there are very few about like that in that condition and that originality. Most are 'bitsa's' that youd spend too much time and money tracking down the correct period parts. Originality is Key with Preds, this one has it in spades.

Put some decent pictures up when you get it
Thanks dude I'll get some more pics when it lands but from the ones I was sent it looks as it's hardly had any use, I was going to run it but I'm having second thoughts now
Old 10-01-2017
Mad Member

It is a very clean looking car for sure. I never owned one back in the day, as I was a schumacher driver. However, I was very good friends with some of the very top team drivers, so have a very good idea of some of the things that were going on. There were a number of subtle changes certainly around the XK5/98 time period that many people never knew about, and some of the team didn't like / reverse engineered out!!

The only one I owned was an X10 as Schumacher had got out of the off road market then, so although I still drove for them, I was free to run any off rd cars I wanted. To me the X10 never felt "right", not like the 5/98 cars. Hard to know if the changing of the tracks paid a part though. You could get it to work on odd days, but it was always difficult to drive.
Old 11-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakey View Post
Thanks dude I'll get some more pics when it lands but from the ones I was sent it looks as it's hardly had any use, I was going to run it but I'm having second thoughts now
Personally, i wouldnt run this one. If its as clean underneath as it looks on top its just not worth it. If you did, run a period standard 27t brushed motor for the reasons below.

The problem is its the very early drivetrain, with a very early design shallow gear mesh and seperate gearboxes screwed onto the carbon tub. You only need those gearbox screws to back off a tiny amount allowing the gearboxes to flex even more than they normally do and you will strip the pinion and diff gear. Which happened a lot back in the day. Also its a non-slipper drivetrain, offers no drivetrain shock protection whatsoever, and the rare spurs are made of cheese with a not very good mesh.

Again being an early Pred the wishbones are the thinest and weakest of all versions and virtually unobtainable to replace when you brake them.

Remember back in the day when kevin Moore initially ran the XT for TTech, at big events he stripped & rebuilt the cars drivetrain down every single round. And it still sounded like a Tie-Fighter even when freshly rebuilt...

If you do want to run it, upgrade the whole drivetrain to a later XK98/ETQ/P8 type set up along with wishbones and hubs. Which frankly is hardly worth it.

Ive been there not that long ago, and wished i hadnt bothered. You end up with a hybrid Pred that isnt really a '93/94/95 runner but mostly a later model that just happens to have a carbon fibre tub. And when you do run it, you are sh*t-scared the gearboxes or the tub will break and you cant enjoy yourself

If you want a vintage runner, the later Internationals/Nationals and the XK98s/ETQ's are the most common and easy to get parts for.