View Poll Results: Stick with SX2 or get the SX3
Stick with the SX2 you loser, and learn to crawl before you can walk! 7 19.44%
Get the SX3 you numpty - what have you got to lose? 29 80.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31-10-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to Cardnim
Default Stick with SX2 or get SX3?

Hi guys,

As some of you may know Ive had an SX2 for about a year now.
I absolutely love it, but I dont think it loves me.
I only started racing after I got it, so dont have much experience; and Im not very good with it.

On occasion I am alright (when i get my head in gear) but other racers at my club say I am a very aggressive racer (whatever that means!) and that I need to calm down and become smooth before I will start being competitive.

But the SX2 (I think Im right in saying) is known for being twitchy; whereas I've heard the SX3 is a calmer drive str8 out of the box.

So, I have just had a friend offer me his (fairly) new SX3 for a price I believe to be very fair.

Question to you guys is - should I buy the SX3 or not?
Would the SX3 help me in my quest for "inner driving calm"?

(It would mean also changing my batteries (from stick to saddle) and as cost is a consideration here, that has to factor in)
Old 31-10-2011

anyone?
Old 31-10-2011
Mad Member

The SX 3 is definitely more balanced overall. Whether you lap times or overall results would improve by simply changing car? I doubt it will make much difference. If you feel the need for a new car then go for the SX3 but there is a lot to be said for sticking with 1 car until your all round driving improves.
Old 31-10-2011
oOple Advertiser

It's a very personal choice to be honest, you could really do with trying one before you buy. But the SX3 is definitely more forgiving and possibly better balanced.

However, as Ian says, sometimes it's better to master the one you have before changing.

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 31-10-2011

I was in the position you are in now,i got a sx3 and stripped my sx2 for parts as most are the same.
As soon as i hit the track it was more planted and smoother in the corner,however i did feel the back was a little bouncy but a rude bits weight kit sorted it. All good

But i did feel that some things could be better the tiny carbon arm on the ali steering posts broke twice not hitting things just general racing but splitting accross the hole that it not used.
The mod that trish does from trish bits to get the front belt out is a must i think for maintance,drives better for sure
Old 01-11-2011

Guys, once again, thank you so much.
THat info is really really great.

@Ian - as one of the guys who have seen me race (err, crash) at the actual track, your opinion is gold mate. Thanks.

@Robocop - thats great to get some perspective from someone whos hoping to do exactly what Im planning. I have the alloy steering rack in my SX2 so was hoping to put it on the SX3 (thus maybe replacing that dodgy bit you mention?)

@John - cheers chum! The word that really got my attention in your reply was "forgiving". Thats exactly what I need I think.

Had a word with the Mrs last night, and bless her, she's agreed to get me the saddle batts for Christmas, and I should hopefully get most of the money for the car by selling the two SX2's I have (keeping some bits for spares obviously) so it could just be a swap without needing to spend anymore money. I think for that reason alone its worth doing.

Thanks again guys, your replies were really really helpful.
Old 01-11-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

I'd personally have said stick with the SX2 - you do tend to throw it around in the corners, so playing around with weight distribution might have done the trick.

The SX3 has a similar layout to the BJ4WE (the B44's daddy) and it's clones, albeit belt drive. With the batteries placed like so, I think it gives better weight transfer in the corners - the SX2 has all the mass down the middle, so less weight transfer and thus 'twitchiness'.

Homesy reckons the SX3 is still fairly high-maintenance - it seems to be a feature of Schumachers. Durango and Associated cars are a bit less costly, but you have the spares already.

I'd expecially consider the S1 version of the SX3 - S1 has a more forgiving amount of flex in it that CF, making the car easier to drive. It's also £50 cheaper!

Have a talk to Derek, he might be able to sort you out with a kit.

My last bit of advise would be to consider a 2wd (great deals on used Cougars and X6s atm) as well as the SX2, rather than flogging those to get the SX3. Driving a 2wd teaches you so much more about throttle control - I count the move to 2wd as the beginning of my real improvement as a driver, from novice to my current (mediocre!) level.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...

Last edited by colmo; 01-11-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: £50 not £5 - doh!
Old 01-11-2011

Cheers Colin - thats a really interesting point about the 2WD - never thought that this would teach me more throttle control than any other class of racing.
Infact, I would have said the opposite at the Drop-Inn track which seems to have 2WD cars with just an on/off throttle switch, whereas all the 4WD guys are throttling back an d forward to keep the traction.
Anyways, you;ve given me food for thought.
Old 01-11-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardnim View Post
Cheers Colin - thats a really interesting point about the 2WD - never thought that this would teach me more throttle control than any other class of racing.
Infact, I would have said the opposite at the Drop-Inn track which seems to have 2WD cars with just an on/off throttle switch, whereas all the 4WD guys are throttling back an d forward to keep the traction.
Anyways, you;ve given me food for thought.
I'd say that's the novice heat you're thinking of, where they bounce their B4s off the walls!

2wd is all about steering with the throttle. Too fast into the corner, and the nose pushes, brake too hard, the rear slides and you spin. It's like riding the razor's edge at times, especially in low grip - driving a 2wd in Fivemiletown, for example, is a massive challenge. In Craigavon, though, there's enough grip that the good drivers are nearly as quick with their 2wds as their 4wds.

One last thing about 2wds - much less drivetrain maintenance! One diff, no belts....bliss!

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 01-11-2011

I have ran the SX2 and realy loved the car ( wils in the beginning I was a bit afrayd of the twitcynes of the car) once i got it setup to my driving . and once i hitted the cars sweetspot I hardly changed the setup enny more . once the SX3 was out I had the idee the car would be almost the same , bud it was a lot more simle to drive and to setup and just as easy to go fast with . I never run with lead in the car so the rear ceeps more feeling like the one of my sx2 and if it bounces a bit than go a spring softer on the rear that normaly solvs the problem .
and meantance the car is a peac of cake . even more than the SX2 was as the bearings are taller they last a lot longer the rear belt the same the front belt I have changed one's now , and the new mid belt is a must have .
my idee is that you will inprove a lot with it as it will also help you to calm down on track as it will forgive a lot more .
hope this helps a bit
Rude-Bits
Serpent
Fba section offroad chairman.
Old 01-11-2011

@feniks - wow, that is really great to hear. And especially because you have tried both the SX2 and SX3 as well. Thank you for your advice!
Old 10-11-2011

=== 1 WEEK LATER - THE RESULT ===

I bought my SX3, wired it up and raced for the first time last night.
This was the very first time I had run the car so didnt know what to expect.

All I can say is Wow!
I was expecting it to be very similar to the SX2 with maybe a slight change in balance and stability, but it really was like a completely different car.
The steering response is fantastic, and Im not sure why, but its way better coming out of corners under power - I was able to keep more power on for longer, and this resulted in better lap times.

That said, my speed round the track didnt go up by a vast amount, I think I was probably just about as quick, but whereas the SX2 always felt like it was on the edge, the SX3 was definately easier to drive well.
Because of this I needed marshalled less, and ended up getting my best ever result!

The added bonus is that with some setup and some more practise, I know I can do better.

Thanks to everyone who helped with great advice and tips.
Old 10-11-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

the only things i would recommend as helps make the car faster or easier to drive are
FAB system
7.5 degree front caster block
lots of other things like alloy gearbox tops add strength and other things like alloy wishbone hangers front and rear add adjust ability and of course not a must have but look great purple bling
PS you made the right choice hope you enjoy
Old 10-11-2011

Cheers Carl - im really glad to hear that as I have all those things you mentioned already!

Also have the brass lipo tray too.
(oh, and you're right, gotta love the purple bling bling)

Thanks for the kind wishes mate, and all the awesome advice both on this thread and others.

My advice to anyone thinking of upgrading is get it done.
You wont regret it.
Old 10-11-2011
oOple Advertiser

Glad you're enjoying it mate! I had the SX2 which I swapped for a Cougar (which I love) and am toying with getting the SX3 too, think I will after reading your glowing reference :-)

To add to the advice already given, get yourself one of the strong belts that are now available

My feedback
Old 10-11-2011

Cheers John - I thought they looked good too.

Two things Im after as well (but I dont know if they are even available)...
- thumbscrews for the lipo straps (those R clips are tought suckers on the thumbs!)
- the quick release mod for the front layshaft

Both are made by TrishBits I think (the quick release can be seen on the RHR National oOple race report - in the section where Tristram gets interviewed)

Having had the SX2 for a while, and the SX3 uses the same setup for the front layshaft, it is a bit of a bugger to keep taking everything apart to clean it, change the bearings, etc.
Old 10-11-2011
oOple Advertiser

yes I agree, the quick release is a great idea for the layshaft, think I'll be asking santa for the SX3 this year!

My feedback
Old 10-11-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardnim View Post
=== 1 WEEK LATER - THE RESULT ===

I bought my SX3, wired it up and raced for the first time last night.
This was the very first time I had run the car so didnt know what to expect.

All I can say is Wow!
I was expecting it to be very similar to the SX2 with maybe a slight change in balance and stability, but it really was like a completely different car.
The steering response is fantastic, and Im not sure why, but its way better coming out of corners under power - I was able to keep more power on for longer, and this resulted in better lap times.

That said, my speed round the track didnt go up by a vast amount, I think I was probably just about as quick, but whereas the SX2 always felt like it was on the edge, the SX3 was definately easier to drive well.
Because of this I needed marshalled less, and ended up getting my best ever result!

The added bonus is that with some setup and some more practise, I know I can do better.

Thanks to everyone who helped with great advice and tips.
I was so pleased to hear that you did really well with the car Andrew, keep it up mate.
Old 11-11-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

we've been running the sx3 for 9 months now, and have only just stripped it down this week to rebuild the diffs,it only runs once a week but 9 months is great,diffs were ready for a rebuild but surprisingly still relatively clean,the new rubber sealed bearings are great only changed 4 front wheel bearings in the same time,a quick brush and blow off after racing and the bearings haven't really needed anything more than just that, so don't worry about stripe downs we've done it once in 6 months on same belts front and rear,
Old 11-11-2011

OK Carl, thats encouraging.

Really stupid question mate (sorry! Im embarrassed even to ask, but genuinely I dont know)... how do you know when the rubber bearings need replaced?