Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 17-11-2011

Default I need dead diff washers.

Hi,

Does anybody have any old flattened Schumacher diff 'spring washers' that I can have. I want to have a 'play' with them. I'm happy to pay postage.

Thanks.
Old 18-11-2011

OK, I'll buy a new set and have a play on my own. Thanks for your help
Old 18-11-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to Cardnim

I have some if your interested - old diffs too?
Old 18-11-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

blimey Rob, the topic hasn't even been open 24 hours yet!!

anyway with Reg and Axeman running the cars at club you should be inundated with washers soon enough
Old 18-11-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

I don't believe I have EVER killed the spring washers, what on earth are you doing to them?
Old 18-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetbee View Post
blimey Rob, the topic hasn't even been open 24 hours yet!!

anyway with Reg and Axeman running the cars at club you should be inundated with washers soon enough
Thing is Pete, that 69 people had read this post with no reply at the point of my last post.

I find on forums that a question is sometimes not replied to (and will never be) until I say someing extra. Then you get all the replies kicking in straight away with a range of 'poster bashing'.

Then from that, you get some helpful replies, and you get the answers you wanted

Quote:
I don't believe I have EVER killed the spring washers, what on earth are you doing to them?
What happens is the washers get weak and the diff slips, then you nip them up a little and they go weak again, then nip them up and all the spring has gone, there flat and usless.

I intend to make a reforming jig. Then press the shape back into them. Then put them through a heating process to respring them to a higher quality. I don't know if it will work, but it is worth a try.

I'm sure others will be interested in knowing how to do it. However, there seems to be lots of drivers here that say there is no problem with diff, so maybe it's just me ??
Old 18-11-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

cant say i have ever had one go flat, but every time a rebuild i do replace everything with these CLICKY
Old 18-11-2011
Mad Member

Guess i've been lucky for the last 15 or so years.
Old 18-11-2011

A few weeks ago, I had my diff fail, and I had to tighten it up, and again for the last race as it started to slip again.

When I got home I also rebuilt the diff with the parts you have shown. On close inspection, all 4 of the washers were flat with no cone on them at all.

Maybe I had a bad set, because nobody seems to have had this problem.

I sold that car and tried a DEX210, sold that after a few weeks and bought another SV Pro this week. I have built the diff a little tighter than I normally would. Maybe I had a bad set and this new car/diff will last as long as everybody tells me they do??

So maybe this thread is pointless??

How often do you rebuild your diff with new parts ?
Does anybody feel the need to replace the small inner ball races in the diff with a higher quality set?
Does anybody feel the need to replace the small inner thrust race with a higher quality race?
Old 18-11-2011
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Guess i've been lucky for the last 15 or so years.

I've personally never had a problem with a diff in my Cat or Cougar (admittedly only 12 months use) and have only stripped them down to put a new set of balls in, never had to replace springs or bearings.

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 18-11-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

diff builds should only be done as and when needed(IE diff feels very ruff and notchy)
cougars done 3 months so far and cat sx3 did 9 months, make sure you don't run the diff loose so they feel smooth and very free, this is wrong and will cause them to slip once they slip there knackerd,rebuild time,they are supposed to act like a limited slip diff after all so should feel a slight Resistance in them,
Old 18-11-2011
Mad Member

So I now race mainly touring cars, and I also race with one of the fussiest gets on earth (but then he's done ok for it!!). His view is that schumacher have the best diffs in the business, bar none. The design is the same, so there is no theoretical reason for the off rd ones to be any different - unless there is somehow issues with outdrives. Every other touring car manufacture HAS to run gear diffs, we have a choice.

Anyway, as far as components go, the U1954 thrust race is IMHO the best item in the business - and I know other on road teams that have used them in the past It's not listed in the off rd section for some reason, but it's the only one that I would use.

Diff balls, I'm not sure. Generally i'd say the ceramics - but actually, there is something in me that things Tungsten carbide might actually be better for an off rd diff. They are a little more robust - and generally I used to find that they didn't always need quite as much tension to grip as Ceramic.