Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 08-01-2013

Default New SV2 driver...a few questions

I've decided to run Schumacher cars this year so have a few questions following my indifferent first outing on Sunday. I ran the car on astro with kit setup minus the shocks and pistons but now want to get more out the car so would appriciate it if anybody can help me?

Camber link plates: I've ordered the set with the narrower camber link plates for the front and rear so I can run a shorter front link to calm the car down, do I need shorter turnbuckles for this and if so what length am I looking out for?

Front caster: will the 5deg caster blocks help smooth out mid to exit steering?

Pistons: I was advised to use 3 hole pistons in the front with 450cs oil (think equivalent to Losi 35wt) and 3 hole pistons drilled out to 1.6mm in the rear with 350cs (Losi 27.5wt) oil. I used a standard kit 6 hole piston and glued up 3 holes to make the 3 hole pistons for the rear as I only had a pair of 3 holes. The rear end with the 3 holes and 27.5 feels so soft and springy with absolutely no pack for landing off jumps? Is this normal for 3 hole pistons because it feels terrible on the track.

Spares and upgrades: what would you suggest I get spare for my pit box? I already have some front and rear wishbones but nothing else as yet and what upgrades are worth buying from the off?

Sorry for the volume of questions I'm just a bit puzzled, especially by the lack of rear shock pack after the weekend.

Any help would be great

Chris.
Old 08-01-2013

The plastic spacer under the rear link plate should be placed on top. Reduce rear anti-squat to just one large sized washer. I run losi 45 front and 37.5 rear, with kit pistons. I've been told to run the 3 holes all round, go for the tapered pistons.
Hope this helps
Old 08-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
I've decided to run Schumacher cars this year so have a few questions following my indifferent first outing on Sunday. I ran the car on astro with kit setup minus the shocks and pistons but now want to get more out the car so would appriciate it if anybody can help me?

Camber link plates: I've ordered the set with the narrower camber link plates for the front and rear so I can run a shorter front link to calm the car down, do I need shorter turnbuckles for this and if so what length am I looking out for?

Front caster: will the 5deg caster blocks help smooth out mid to exit steering?

Pistons: I was advised to use 3 hole pistons in the front with 450cs oil (think equivalent to Losi 35wt) and 3 hole pistons drilled out to 1.6mm in the rear with 350cs (Losi 27.5wt) oil. I used a standard kit 6 hole piston and glued up 3 holes to make the 3 hole pistons for the rear as I only had a pair of 3 holes. The rear end with the 3 holes and 27.5 feels so soft and springy with absolutely no pack for landing off jumps? Is this normal for 3 hole pistons because it feels terrible on the track.

Spares and upgrades: what would you suggest I get spare for my pit box? I already have some front and rear wishbones but nothing else as yet and what upgrades are worth buying from the off?

Sorry for the volume of questions I'm just a bit puzzled, especially by the lack of rear shock pack after the weekend.

Any help would be great

Chris.
Get the setup sheet off me that woody gave me next time i see you.
The car is really nice to drive especially outdoors and even with my poor driving skills If i didnt have transmitter problems all day id have done much better, had some quick laps when i was running.
Main things are
4mm between beltcrank thingy
Shorter turnbuckle for camber plate
Lower rear shock tower 4mm for more droop
Front servo and rear weights

Things that break
Those plastic front ball cups
Front bulkhead

Rest of it seems fairly strong
Old 09-01-2013

Depending on grip levels I'd say that oil is a bit soft. I have been advised by team drivers to use 550 rear and 700 front, but that is for very high-grip astro indoors.

Also, I think most people run the 0˚ front caster blocks.

Other than that, lots of people run the trishbits front bulkhead weight to shift the weight towards the front axle.

Also, somewhere on the Schumacher site are some set-up sheets from Tom Cockerill, I'd look at those.

SilverstoneRCMCC
Old 09-01-2013

I feel the car would benefit from more caster as I found the mid to exit steering a little aggressive, I always tend to go quicker with more caster generally. The oils do seem rather soft especially in the rear but I am using 3 hole pistons all around rather than the kit 4 front/ 6 rear.
Tbh the oils in my car are probably more suited to low grip conditions such as slippery floor or wet conditions.
I will maybe try going up weight of the oils all around, would seem strange to use such hard oil in a buggy for me though? 450cs is about 35wt if I'm not mistaken so 650 must be very hard.

Chris
Old 09-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1END View Post
Depending on grip levels I'd say that oil is a bit soft. I have been advised by team drivers to use 550 rear and 700 front, but that is for very high-grip astro indoors.

Also, I think most people run the 0˚ front caster blocks.

Other than that, lots of people run the trishbits front bulkhead weight to shift the weight towards the front axle.

Also, somewhere on the Schumacher site are some set-up sheets from Tom Cockerill, I'd look at those.
700 in the front!! dont count on any steering then
Old 10-01-2013

Default Hay

Chris, did you dremel your rear tower yourself? Do I need to take 4mm off the bottom of the tower for more droop?
As for oil setup online this seems to vary quite significantly from driver to driver so I'm still unsure of where to start. 3 holes in the rear with 350cs on the 2.5 spring offers no pack at all so the car bottoms out over even the smallest jumps. Woody uses this oil setup with success so I wonder what I could be doing wrong? I do run the shocks with as little rebound as possible but doubt that would make any difference

Chris
Old 10-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
Chris, did you dremel your rear tower yourself? Do I need to take 4mm off the bottom of the tower for more droop?
As for oil setup online this seems to vary quite significantly from driver to driver so I'm still unsure of where to start. 3 holes in the rear with 350cs on the 2.5 spring offers no pack at all so the car bottoms out over even the smallest jumps. Woody uses this oil setup with success so I wonder what I could be doing wrong? I do run the shocks with as little rebound as possible but doubt that would make any difference

Chris
Im getting roger to do mine no way am i precise enough to get it right.
I think you need to drill 2 holes 4mm higher on the tower, and dreml a bit off the bottom of the tower so it fits correctly.
As for shocks, mine doesnt seem to like bigger jumps either, but handles the little bumps nicely. maybe try more rebound next time out, or a stiffer spring as 2.5 is very soft