Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 09-02-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

Default My X5 lipo mounting (and couple sneaky X6 ones)

So I've changed the way I'm mounting the Lipo in my X5, I must admit to totally ripping off Phil Sleigh's design as it was much better than what I came up with initially.

It's simply a peice of Carbon slotted for a strap, then screwed into the back of the chassis at the right height for the cells you're using.

Front end is a battery post drilled in the right position

Couple of self indulgent photos of cars with new SMC lipos in them (4000mah 28C), they are really good so far though only used them a couple of times.

And a couple of X6 for good measure, they are a perfect fit in the new chassis with the new battery straps

Wiring not quite up to ideal standards but with still trying various things in the new car and weight positions I'm not too 'worried'

Just as a disclaimer I should point out I've no idea if these will be BRCA legal this year until the list comes out

Nortech is ACE!
Old 09-02-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

will that battery strap on the X6 work with LiPo cells with the corally tubes in them?
Old 09-02-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

Yup,

I've seen Trackpwer and LRP/Nosram packs in various team cars/trucks. you have to have the connectors on the pinion side though.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 09-02-2009
Mad Member

Yeppp, I can confirm the new strap fits just fine on LRP/Nosram & Trakpower cells. The connectors just need to be at the "Y" end of the X-Factory wording on the strap.
Old 09-02-2009

That's brilliant. Love the way you've fitted that LIPO to the X5 there.

You know, they say mimicking is the highest form of flattery....I feel you've given me some inspiration to get the dremel out.

Can I just ask though, did you need to dremel the chassis much? It looks like you've removed one of the battery post bosses and the half moon at the back, but that's all it seems.

Also, the side section on the strap that reaches back towards the chassis....does this attach anywhere or is it just touching the side of the belt tunnel?

Finally, regarding the small piece of CF that the strap slides into, how is this attached to the chassis. Are there nuts on the other side of those screws or have you just screwed into the chassis directly?

Very nice work! Hope you don't mind me picking your brains.

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2009
Mad Member

Ok then...

The chassis will require the following items dremelling;
- Rear half moon
- Both original battery mounts bosses
- The rear aerial mount (depending on the size of your LiPo)

If you intend to run your speedo in the two cell area, then you'll need to take out the battery mount bosses on that side too.

On Dan's strap the 'leg' that sticks out towards to the belt tunnel is simply a hang over from the source part he used (B4/T4 strap) so not entirely required. This might actually depend on the make of LiPo, so I'll let Dan confim if it's needed.

The rear slotted section on mine is screwed with two countersunk 4-40 screws into the lowest section on the chassis. I chose those area as it's the thickest section of the mould and I therefore didn't require any nuts that might have fouled the LiPo.

Make sure you use countersunk screws as any other type will foul the wishbone travel, so just double check things as you start your measuring/dremelling.
Old 09-02-2009

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sleigh_ View Post
- Rear half moon
You'll probably also have to touch up the rear part of the servo mount bosses.

Very clean install Dan!
Old 10-02-2009
Mad Member

Nice professional job there, Danny boy. Proudaya.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 10-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to millzy

whats an 8.5 doing in that x6. get some man power boy

i had a chat with Thumbs Harris on the weekend at the FTX about his x5 and runnig Lipo and i am very tempted
Old 10-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sleigh_ View Post
Ok then...

- Rear half moon

If you intend to run your speedo in the two cell area, then you'll need to take out the battery mount bosses on that side too.

On Dan's strap the 'leg' that sticks out towards to the belt tunnel is simply a hang over from the source part he used (B4/T4 strap) so not entirely required. This might actually depend on the make of LiPo, so I'll let Dan confim if it's needed.

The rear slotted section on mine is screwed with two countersunk 4-40 screws into the lowest section on the chassis. I chose those area as it's the thickest section of the mould and I therefore didn't require any nuts that might have fouled the LiPo.

Make sure you use countersunk screws as any other type will foul the wishbone travel, so just double check things as you start your measuring/dremelling.
Thank you Phil. Will definitely give this a go.

Old 10-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by millzy View Post
whats an 8.5 doing in that x6. get some man power boy

i had a chat with Thumbs Harris on the weekend at the FTX about his x5 and runnig Lipo and i am very tempted
Was a 7.5 in mine Sunday Mills, and the clutch was set well loose to tame it down.
Old 10-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

in your x6? yeah i had a 6 sensorless in my b4 and the clutch set "whore" loose keep her tame also

its your x5 i liked- i love my b4 and im 98% stuck with it but 4wd is more open market
Old 10-02-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

The bit that sticks out is indeed from the T4 battery strap I used to make, however it gives that extra support so left it on there.

Phil have everything covered above really, I just screwed into the chassis with two short 4/40 screws, it is essential you countersink inot the carbon though to clear the front of the wishbone. There is not really much load on this to be honest, so as long as you don't crank those screws down there is enough support for this, worst case though run some glue round the edge to really toughen it up.

Mills - Firstly, I thought you had given up? Are you back? Nationals? Sounds serious if you're afte a 4wd again or do you still have your old X5?

I really like my 8.5, on 25*76, it's perfect for say York indoor. Probably not enough for outdoors though, plan to run a 7.5L then.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 10-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

im doing the W.R.C.A and having a laugh with racing . might do the f2 and f3 finals ( yeah im an f3 now booo) ive did the odd micro meeting last year the EPR national in 4wd and the W.M.C.S GP in 2wd and 4wd . but no Nationals for 2009 to busy with the Taly track and the Kids

I dont have my own 4wd at the mo, i sold my old x5 to Southwell when i gave up for something like £25quid ( still with that huge hole in the chassis) i am very impressed with the work that’s gone on with the x5 since i last drove one, i spoke to you and Tom last year about the new Ackerman bar and its developed again since then
Old 10-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by millzy View Post
in your x6? yeah i had a 6 sensorless in my b4 and the clutch set "whore" loose keep her tame also

its your x5 i liked- i love my b4 and im 98% stuck with it but 4wd is more open market
7.5 in both cars, had an LRP X11 in the X-6 (which is the same power as a novak 8.5) and an X12 7.5 in the X-5. Both cars were plenty quick enough.
Old 10-02-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

Yeah I'm currently most often on a 7.5 in my 4wd too indoors but anticipate wanting a 6.5L outdoors. So 7.5L 2wd and 6.5L 4wd I think (maybe not in wet).

Nortech is ACE!
Old 18-02-2009

Hey Dan,

You know your SMC LIPO you show here, would you mind measuring it for me.

My Trakpower 4900 seems too long to fit in the chassis, even if I dremel out the half-moon, the rear antennae tube etc.

Based on my measurements, my 4900 comes half way across where the battery post is, and as such, is inaccessible.

Thanks,

Russ.

Old 18-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddybux View Post
Hey Dan,

You know your SMC LIPO you show here, would you mind measuring it for me.

My Trakpower 4900 seems too long to fit in the chassis, even if I dremel out the half-moon, the rear antennae tube etc.

Based on my measurements, my 4900 comes half way across where the battery post is, and as such, is inaccessible.

Thanks,

Russ.
For the LRP lipo which is fairly long I had to just dremel away a little of the servo mount. I also had to take a bit off the servo post mounts which are not round anyway then mine fitted in, you may need to do the same.

E.
Old 18-02-2009

I've fitted a 3600 trakpower in mine, and the length and width of that is the same as the 4900. The 4900 is 1.2mm taller that is all (according to the trakpower website).
To fit mine, i dremelled the half moon, the rear battery post mount and half of the front mount along with taking a little off the servo mount.
I then re-drilled and conter sunk the chassis to re-locate the battery post. I didn't need to touch the antenna tube location, as i have the battery sitting as close to the outside edge as it will go.
If you want me to post any photo's just let me know.
Old 18-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you look closely at Dans pics you will see that he has cut a small amount off the rear of the servo mount as well as reamoving the half moon from the rear of the chassis. I have fitted Trakpowers in my X-5 in the same way, they are tight, but they do go in.