Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Gloucester Electric Racing Car Club

Old 16-12-2011

Question Improvements

Hello all,

Just having a think about how we can improve the club in general, and thought that putting something on here might be quite beneficial.

Didn't know if anyone had any ideas that can be thought about and discussed, and as we don't have an AGM, there isn't really a general place to discuss ideas.

Obviously the ideas need to be sensible, reasonable and practical - not like replacing all of the carpet because the colour clashes with your shell .

Something I have thought about is using the current track 'material' to also use as the border around the track instead of the 'boards'. This is obviously costly though, and possibly something to look at in the long term.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks, Chris
Old 16-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Who are the commitee?

What is the planned scope of the club going forward, especially in terms of classes to promote etc?

Personally considering the size of the track available and the need to cover many different classes over the course of the night is always going to be the limitation.
With that in mind I think if the club is considering continuing with buggy racing, and I for one hope that it does, a few "guidelines" need to be put in place relating to "features" and their location on the track layouts.
If that doesn't become a bit more controlled then I can see a few of the buggy guys staying away or changing classes ... even I am considering running the TC as my main class!!!

Overall I'd not change the track surface or markings as they both do a fine job and work well in that enviroment.

I quite like the club as it is currently run, it is a good place for people to get into the sport. I wish I had more spare time available to help out a bit but sadly life doesn't afford me that at the moment, if it changes I will let you know!

See you in the new year
Old 17-12-2011

I do just want to add to my initial comment that I am not saying that there is anything wrong with it lol, just asking people's opinions on ways to make a very well run club improve further!

Ta, Chris
Old 17-12-2011

I agree with roger as in that new people are likely to be but off by. Ew massive jumps which are dangerous to marshal and bad for your cars and can only be done if you hav massive horse power. Which new people won't, I like Ross new jump but only closed so it can be rolled or jumped like all jumps in the real buggy racing world.
I not sure that racing 4wd cars in with mainly 2wd is the best thing but alongs 4wd count for separate points it won't be to bad
Roger come do TC ;-)

The club has always been a friendly club and will cater for anyone with anything which is part of its appeal so that has to be maintained so making masses of rules will only push people away but some things must be made rules like countersunk screws in bottom of chassis is one that needs to be looked at as the carpet is to expensive to risk damaging

Something a few of us were talking about was proper prizes for prize giving, the clubs got money so rather than look for ways to spend it on tables we didn't reali need could use it as a prize fund most clubs give away things for doing well as a insentive, but this comes hard with the amount of classes there is at glos so possible only classes with 10+ people should count I don't no

Anyways my hand hurting form typing all this on a iPhone so I'll stop now Tara
Chris
Old 17-12-2011

While the track surface and lane boundary pipework is good, I also agree that the perimeter fencing could be improved. The problem isn't with its function but the fact that it is difficult to assemble and put away. I think we only need one strip of it along the rostrum side, and then 4 pre-made 90 degree corner sections in wooden frames much like the buggy jumps but turned on their side. Then you just need a blanking piece for the back door in the hall and that's it.
I'd also like to see a club-owned touring car that could be loaned to the many first timers and curious people that turn up, so that they can have a go then and there. Something like a Tamiya TT01 maybe. That's something that I would be willing to maintain if it existed and could be had from Ebay for practically nothing.
Old 17-12-2011

Very good idea, many clubs hav loaner cars avalible to new bees so that would be a good idea. Not sure what car to get I've got q tc5 with lots of spares that cud b bought ;-) and I'm sure between the club members a set of electrics could be found, I think I've got a tranny and recever aswell to go towards it and possibly a brushed motor
Old 18-12-2011

Great idea with the touring car for noobs, wish that had been there when I joined! Problem with not having the boundaries is the damage that would be put to some members cars who prefer the 'steer by wall' method...let me put it this way I can see complaints going down about car damage due to insufficient barriers hahaha. On the other hand we could probably get another heat in if we had simple corner and rostrum boundaries and used flexi pipes instead of velcro tubes.

Only thing I think could improve the club is a longer timing loop, simply because some layouts we put out have a sweeper by the loop and its easy to miss a lap if you're hugging the apex, but I think thats just a case of track planing!
Losi xx
Mardave v12
Losi micro T
Hobao hyper 7
HPI Firestorm
Tamiya Keen Hawk
Associated TC4
Baja 5b
Traxxas Slash
Old 19-12-2011

Not that u have any experience of this Edd 'hugging the apex' lol
Old 20-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

In all seriousness who "runs" the club these days? Is it Just Steve?
Old 21-12-2011

Steve, Ashley and now Shane is a new member
Old 22-02-2012

Just read this old thread and the one thing that sticks out for me is the length of the season.

If the club ran shorter competitions for classes where there was enough support using BRCA rules and complimented this with a small prize I think it would add an extra dimension, I'm thinking a short 4 or 6 week event for wherever the support is so tc/mardave/12th pan/m chassis/2wd buggy/4wd buggy/f1 maybe even vintage stuff (glances over at hotshot/boomerang on shelf).

These events would sit alongside the current summer/winter championships. Obviously only one of these could run at one time to allow other classes but I can see it working.

I also agree about the track, certainly would make life easier if we didnt have the current boarded perimeter. Might have to adjust my driving style though!