Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 08-09-2014
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

I have a strange opinion on this... from having been involved in a number of clubs over the years...

Yes the club could have let the lad have a few laps with dad driving/helping.
They are also allowed as others have mentioned 3 goes before BRCA membership.

However, I have seen many newcomers to the sport who were totally disinterested in the running of the club, and that existing members were there to serve them up a track and put it all away again at the end of the night...

Literally just sitting and watching myself and a few other dedicated members unroll carpet, tape it down, come up with a track design and setup jumps and the temp rostrum.

P***ed off was not the word, and scarpering off early before everything was being put away just was the cherry on top!

I have been to a few clubs like this, and often the driving standards of said people was also rediculous and daft!

I hope that the thread starter is not of this mentality and that he understands my post with a view from both sides of the fence. I also like to think that many hands make light work, and that if we all did a little the kit gets setup out away easily and quickly, and we all have some respect for the other club members...
Old 08-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwilliamson2001 View Post
I have a strange opinion on this... from having been involved in a number of clubs over the years...

Yes the club could have let the lad have a few laps with dad driving/helping.
They are also allowed as others have mentioned 3 goes before BRCA membership.

However, I have seen many newcomers to the sport who were totally disinterested in the running of the club, and that existing members were there to serve them up a track and put it all away again at the end of the night...

Literally just sitting and watching myself and a few other dedicated members unroll carpet, tape it down, come up with a track design and setup jumps and the temp rostrum.

P***ed off was not the word, and scarpering off early before everything was being put away just was the cherry on top!

I have been to a few clubs like this, and often the driving standards of said people was also rediculous and daft!

I hope that the thread starter is not of this mentality and that he understands my post with a view from both sides of the fence. I also like to think that many hands make light work, and that if we all did a little the kit gets setup out away easily and quickly, and we all have some respect for the other club members...
+1! Well said, I was also allowed onto the commitee of a club at the age of 15 as I was so eager to help out etc, after 2 years I got massivly fed up with new comers having no interest in helping set up or put away. (one or the other is all we used to ask) so stopped going full stop as the club was becoming more and more argumentative.
Moody fools
Richpaint
Gmcc
Old 08-09-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Obviously a club that doesn't get new members soon dies out. The problem is some people genuinely believe that 'new' means already experienced but just moving to your club.

I really hope people find that at Bury Metro we have tried to create a family friendly club - but it certainly hasn't been easy at times. Nobody wanted to marshal the kids racing, nobody wanted to be in the heat the kids marshal. There was a point that on the one hand I was busy encouraging new drivers, and on the other hand trying to calm existing members who were furious that the 8 year old was too slow putting their car back on its wheels.

Whilst having new blood is essential to the hobbies survival I can kind of see where some club officials might come down on the side of 'kids are more hassle than its worth'. Its wrong, but I can see why they think like that.

Incidentally as for the people not helping part: My experience suggests kids aren't the problem here. They normally want to help, they are just a bit useless at it! The worst culprits tend to be moderately experienced adults - the same people who moan about the kids marshaling them come to think of it!

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)

Last edited by Si Coe; 08-09-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-09-2014

Default Easy tigers

Mmmm yes yes there were some very good comments to start with then as usual things on oople get twisted and blown out of all proportion
Old 08-09-2014
Awesome Admin

Ok so back to the original point. The club in question could/should of done something to help and encourage new young members to have a go, it's better on a track and under dad's and some experienced people's guidance than battering up and down a field and getting board after a while and not bothering at all with the hobby.

I've only come back to it after 20 or so years and went to BMCC for the short course nationals as they were having a buggy heat and it's only up the road. So me and my 7 year old daughter went and she had a great time watching, running around and did a bit of moaning mainly about wanting to help marshall! My point is like Si Coe said kids want to help and learn and be enthusiastic god knows my 2 daughters do, so why not let them have a go they could be the next Jamie Booth or Masami.
Old 08-09-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
Mmmm yes yes there were some very good comments to start with then as usual things on oople get twisted and blown out of all proportion

Exactly thats what i was thinking ! I thought it was the club not letting the ( under ) 5 year old practice ( not race ) inbetween heats even with the supervision of his dad , was the whole point of the thread ??!!

Are we going to find out which club it was !?!
Old 08-09-2014
SHRCCC Legend

Bring him to a club who cares about it's racers and encorouges the kids. You know where we are mate!.
Old 08-09-2014
Mad Member

Unhappy sadly

happens at a few clubs. new racers, returners, kids, newbies, etc....

3 race rule, often is forgotten, and other related issues.

Very sad that many clubs do not encourage new people, old or young, to join in and see if they like the hobby. Without them it will die and there club with it.

There are in contrast many clubs that actively encourage newbies both old and young, if only ALL clubs worked like this.

oh well............
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 08-09-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

one thing you do see is how many club meets tend to be run more for the A final not the C or D, if you run a club its a hard balancing act on one hand you have the top boys fast cars fast drivers, tend to be only interested in their day and want the meeting to be more like a BRCA meeting than an easy going club day, on the other hand you have your beginners maybe one or two sets of batteries,cheep charger,reliability issues and a very tight budget and their mind has just been blown by the amount of money the top guys spend and just how fast they get the car to go around a track.

The most important thing when running a club meeting is trying to make sure both groups have a good FUN day. I think this is harder now than it was 15 years ago, modern fast astro tracks, combined with AMB lap timing make a beginners climb from bottom to top look close to impossible.

Im not interested in what club it was, but I would guess they fall into the only interested in the A category, shame

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117

Last edited by racingdwarf; 08-09-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2014

I have known Duncan for quite a while and can say that he definately doesn't fall in the category of people who disappear at the end of a meeting before clearing up, he's probably one of the last to leave.

The 'poor show' situation, I think that the race director may have been uncomfortable to have the young lad driving around between heats as he wouldn't be covered by BRCA( he needs to be 'entered in the event' to be allowed on track even with the 3 race rule). Had the race director explained this to Duncan in a better way I'm sure Duncan would have been more than happy to pay the nominal fee so his son could run his car round and everybody would have had a better day.

I have ran a club in the past and the only EXTRA attention that the better drivers got from me was to ensure that their timings were accurate, other than that I put a very heavy onus on encouraging the lesser and younger drivers and ensuring that the better drivers marshalled them to a high standard as they are the sports future and need every encouragment.

I am impressed to see that this now is happening at SHRCCC where I may add that the youngsters who have only been racing a year or less are now competing for the A/B finals and nudging the better drivers along.

Silverstone is another club who promote youngsters and are now producing some very competitive youngsters, they often have a full heat of juniors

Keep up the good work guys and I'm sure ALL clubs will follow or fold.
Old 09-09-2014

My local club (Colchester model car club) actively encourages juniors, we often have a full heat of juniors and the speed at which some of them improve is astounding.
To our credit we have one young lad (under 10) who raced in the Euros this year

Our club mentality is that we are all big kids with more money than sense playing with toy cars and it works!

Last edited by Essex2Visuvesi; 09-09-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-09-2014

So sad when clubs won't go the extra mile for kids and newbies.

At Chippenham model car we race indoors (Touring, Mini, GT12 etc) in the autumn & winter, and buggies on grass in the spring and summer.

We have 3 club cars, a buggy, mini and a tc.

We will allow a newbie to run their own car, regardless what it is so long as it's the right scale and won't damage the carpet.

As for championships both club and our winter championships (CWIC) all the kids get a pot for their overall position in their class but they also get an extra pot for their position in their sub class (U13 & U16)

Club membership for kids is just £2 and race fee's £2:50.

Other clubs in my area that also look after kids and newbies are Frome RCCC, Swindon model car club, Bristol radio control car club and West Wilts model car club
Old 09-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
Bring him to a club who cares about it's racers and encorouges the kids. You know where we are mate!.
He is on his way to you soon mr dudders , I am just a bit worried that he might show you up and drive quicker than you
Old 09-09-2014
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

So it's clear that the person at the club got it wrong, and probably didn't approach it in the best way.

However, let's considder it from his point of view. He was asked about a situation that he thought gave him a problem (potentially it didn't, but that's another issue). He saw what he thought might be a potentially dangerious situation in that someone who he didn't believe would be covered by insurance, should something go wrong. He's faced with 2 options that that point: a) stop it from happening at all, or b) allow what he believed could be that dangerious situation happen, that wouldn't be covered by insurance, that if something did go wrong, he could face personal responsibility / liability / ruin from.

Still think he did the wrong thing?? For what it's worth, I don't. It's very easy to say "well it's not a problem, there is the 3 time rule" we all know that now, but at that moment in time, he didn't realise that and has therefor gone with the cautious option. It's sad, that it's the "where there's blame, there's a claim" culture that we live in now has probably caused this decision.

He probably should have known about the 3 time rule, and he probably should have approached it in a different way. However, at least look at it from his point of view, if he was unsure he has to go with the safest option really.

Personally (as someone who is involved in running a club) I'd like to think that a) I do know the rule and hence it wouldn't have happened, but if I was unsure, I'd always go with the safe option - although hopefully explain it in a better way.

Last edited by MattW; 09-09-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2014
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2Visuvesi View Post
Our club mentality is that we are all big kids with more money than sense playing with toy cars and it works!
How true this is
Old 09-09-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2Visuvesi View Post

Couldnt of said it better myself
Old 09-09-2014

something else to note, does this 3 time rule count for some one who is "not" booked into the race meeting? I.e someone who wants to run around between heats isn't actually booked into the meeting
Moody fools
Richpaint
Gmcc
Old 09-09-2014
Mad Member

Quoted as "3 visits" so don't think it makes a difference if you are racing or not..

Obviously not a great start, but all this "name and shame" stuff really annoys me.

The club will be run by unpaid volunteers, who are only human and yes get stuff wrong.. I doubt anything was said or done in malice, just a simple mistake.

Go and have a word, no point in the open forum flogging... it doesn't really achieve anything..
Old 09-09-2014
Mad Member

'Our club mentality is that we are all big kids with more money than sense playing with toy cars and it works!' [/QUOTE]

Love this, where's the club, I'm on my way
Just one issue the more money than sense doesn't apply to me. I have non of either!
Old 09-09-2014

If I recall correctly the 3 race/meetings rule actually means three in total.

In other words you cannot go to Club A 3 times, then Club B 3 times and so on......

Its 3 meetings where-ever they may be...