Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > 10ELECTRIC - Cullingworth

Old 02-10-2014

Default Question about solder

Hi guys, just a quick question on the subject as i don't know much about the differences. What is the difference between leaded and lead free solder and which is better to use for soldering wires to motors and esc's? I did electronics at school but we where never taught about different kinds of solder.
Thanks
Craig
Old 02-10-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Hi guys, just a quick question on the subject as i don't know much about the differences. What is the difference between leaded and lead free solder and which is better to use for soldering wires to motors and esc's? I did electronics at school but we where never taught about different kinds of solder.
Thanks
Craig
Lead poisoning risks aside, Melting temperature is the main difference. Leaded solder is much easier to work with as the melting point is lower, and the temperature window to allow you to work the joint is wider. Unleaded solder just seems to be solid, then molten for a few seconds, then instantly solid again once heat is removed. It's horrible to work with, but more suited to automated flow soldering of circuit boards.

bit more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder

I only use leaded solder
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-10-2014

Hi Craig,
I don't know much about it for Rc application, but almost all PS3 and xbox problems go back to the use of lead free solder, and the connections breaking, most botch fixes relied on heating the boards up with the hope that is would help reseal the connection before everything else came unsoldered (never tried it myself though). I would imagine these solder connections would be tiny.

I would imagine that the big blobs used on motors and esc would be fine,

Mark
Old 02-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGoulding View Post
Hi Craig,
I don't know much about it for Rc application, but almost all PS3 and xbox problems go back to the use of lead free solder, and the connections breaking, most botch fixes relied on heating the boards up with the hope that is would help reseal the connection before everything else came unsoldered (never tried it myself though). I would imagine these solder connections would be tiny.

I would imagine that the big blobs used on motors and esc would be fine,

Mark
You sound like a console king Mark
Old 03-10-2014

Thanks for the replies guys, i thought that would be the case just wanted to check
Old 03-10-2014

Lead free solder was developed to comply to the European Union Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE) and Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS), prohibiting the inclusion of significant quantities of lead in most consumer electronics produced in the EU.

The main difference between the lead and lead free solder is the temperature it takes to melt the solder. Lead free solder has a higher melting point then the tin/lead solder. The down side to lead free solder is that it is more likely to have solder bridges (shorts) and is more likely to have tin whiskers form.

But the best thing to do is practice with both just to make sure you have the hang of it.