Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 21-05-2009

Default Mi 3.5 Steering Problem

Hi All

Just Wondering If Anyone Knows How To Fix This This :

When Moving Around The Track If You Try To Steer Past About 20% It Makes A Horible Grinding Noise and vibrates and then spins out has anyone else had this problem

Ta
John

FG Onroad - Zenoha - Futaba Servo's - GP
Mi 3.5 - Stock class - Orion - LRP - Nosram

TC4 - 10.5 - Orion - Futaba Brushless Servo - LRP
T4 - 6.5 Losi System - Futaba Brushless Servo

DX3r - Ansmann - Muchmore - Propeak

OTHERS ARE ETHER IN BITS OR IN ATTIC
Old 21-05-2009

Never had this problem on my 3.5.... but..... Have you checked the CVD pins? If one's loose it might drag around the hub. That's assuming you've already looked for damaged suspension, bend dogbones and anything catching in the wheels.

- Royal Racing Paint - <clicky>
Old 21-05-2009

Not A Bad Thought Will Have A Look Now Didnt Think To Look There As Its Brand New

Old 22-05-2009

Nope It Wasnt The Drive Train hmmm

Old 22-05-2009

Hi All

I Think I Have Fixed It I Tightened The Main Belt Up As It Was Verry Slack And For Some Reason The Noise And Vibrations Have Gone Now I Hope As I Only Tested It On My Stand With No Wheels On

Thanks
John

Old 22-05-2009

Ah, You will probably find with wheels on the noise comes back while on the car stand. It's to do with the CVD not being true CVD's so when you move them to a significant angle the wheel, while rotating tends to rock slightly faster then slower during it's rotation. When the whells on it's own momentum cause the CVD to hit both ends of the backlash causeing the thrup-ing noise.
It's somewhat normal, although not healthy to put the car on the stand and do it just for fun!
You should find that there's almost no noise on the track until you're using full steering lock.

Most TC's at least have this to some degree- it's why Xray brought out their ECS driveshafts, but most people agree that in terms of laptime, on the Schu at least, it's not an real issue.

- Royal Racing Paint - <clicky>
Old 22-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagofSkill View Post
Ah, You will probably find with wheels on the noise comes back while on the car stand. It's to do with the CVD not being true CVD's so when you move them to a significant angle the wheel, while rotating tends to rock slightly faster then slower during it's rotation. When the whells on it's own momentum cause the CVD to hit both ends of the backlash causeing the thrup-ing noise.
It's somewhat normal, although not healthy to put the car on the stand and do it just for fun!
You should find that there's almost no noise on the track until you're using full steering lock.

Most TC's at least have this to some degree- it's why Xray brought out their ECS driveshafts, but most people agree that in terms of laptime, on the Schu at least, it's not an real issue.
This sounds similar to something I've been trying to figure out on my CAT Sx. I had kind of given up on it until I saw this post. On the stand, at about 80% to full lock in either direction there is a heavy vibration when the drivetrain is turning. It only happens when the wheels are installed. Take the wheels off and it's nice and smooth. The only thing I can figure out is the extra mass of the wheels and tires accentuate the movement of whatever is out of whack and cause the shaking. I've checked everything in the front end but never figured it out. The CVD's do rock a little approaching full lock, so what the last post says seems to make sense, and if that's the case, then I dont think there's a easy fix. Does suck though.
Old 22-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong View Post
This sounds similar to something I've been trying to figure out on my CAT Sx. I had kind of given up on it until I saw this post. On the stand, at about 80% to full lock in either direction there is a heavy vibration when the drivetrain is turning. It only happens when the wheels are installed. Take the wheels off and it's nice and smooth. The only thing I can figure out is the extra mass of the wheels and tires accentuate the movement of whatever is out of whack and cause the shaking. I've checked everything in the front end but never figured it out. The CVD's do rock a little approaching full lock, so what the last post says seems to make sense, and if that's the case, then I dont think there's a easy fix. Does suck though.

On your cat have you got the purple washer behind the pin in the right way as this might cause the problem....?

Schumacher MI4 lp: Tekin rs pro speed passion V3 10.5
Old 23-05-2009

Good idea, but I've checked that too. I'm using the rulux wheels for the b44. For these wheels to work in the front, the purple hex must go on after the pin, it is just on the axle loose and not retained by the pin, and the whole mess is retained by the wheel istself. If you put the hex on first, and then put the pin through, like the manual shows, the offset is a hair off and the wheels rub on the hub.
Maybe I should try hex first, pin through hex, and a little washer to adjust the offset, or try some other wheels. I've tried the stock wheels (no hex) and found the problem is still there.
Old 25-05-2009

Hi ALL

It Appears To Have Worn Itself In Dont Know How Or What It Was But It Dosent Do It Any More!

JJ