Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 27-05-2009

Angry Why are Schumacher utterly incapable of keeping parts in stock???

Seriously, everytime I try to order from them half the items are not available in stock, and when I do place an order for items that show as in stock, by the time they ship they aren't in stock and they dump them out of my order without telling me so I have to do it again and get hit for postage again.

How can they manage their inventory so incompetently?
Old 27-05-2009
oOple Advertiser

Why not order from one of the larger UK stockist's then such as oursleves, MK, Apex, PBM, JE, Microtech etc etc, you will probably find the reason Schumacher dont have stuff in stock is because we have all brought it and put it on to our shelves......

When you order with most "shops" you dont get charged for back orders either, using the UK network of shop dealers is often far better (and cheaper) than the the factory direct who really only offer their services to the public as a last resort option for hard to find items.

Your comments are the exact reason why we still dont use a stock checker online here at DMS, since VERY FEW are accurate and as such a waste of time in our opinion. Nothing a quick phone call or email cant reslove before placing the order.
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 27-05-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS Racing View Post
Your comments are the exact reason why we still dont use a stock checker online here at DMS, since VERY FEW are accurate and as such a waste of time in our opinion.
What a crazy attitude to have in 2009!

There are loads of sites out there with reliable stock levels, it is easy to implement (even free ecommerce software has the facility to do this), all it takes is a little effort, and you will reap the financial rewards.
Old 27-05-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassp0nk View Post
Seriously, everytime I try to order from them half the items are not available in stock, and when I do place an order for items that show as in stock, by the time they ship they aren't in stock and they dump them out of my order without telling me so I have to do it again and get hit for postage again.

I have no experience of Schumacher's stock control but it is a bit worrying that a distributor and manufacturer are not on top of stock levels. I wonder how often the trade customers are let down on orders? This is a tough economy, now more than ever is the time to get the orders right, otherwise they will stop coming in altogether.
Old 27-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post

There are loads of sites out there with reliable stock levels, it is easy to implement (even free ecommerce software has the facility to do this), all it takes is a little effort, and you will reap the financial rewards.
I'm not sure the cheaper ones have live stock picking though, certainly I have seen duff info on ecommerce sites before!

The issue is it's easy to say in stock, even "5 in stock" at 5pm before closing for the night, but if 6 more are ordered overnight unless you have live stock pick someone gets told it's in stock when it isn't. Or if someone comes in the shop at 9am and buys one off the shelf before you've done the overnight orders!?

Plus even the best systems rely on correct info being manually imputted when stock arrives (you don't want to know how much a barcode scanning solution would be!!

I'm not sure I know of any shop which has a storefront and webshop who can be 100% accurate, though it's doable for a web only store!
Old 27-05-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
I'm not sure the cheaper ones have live stock picking though, certainly I have seen duff info on ecommerce sites before!

The issue is it's easy to say in stock, even "5 in stock" at 5pm before closing for the night, but if 6 more are ordered overnight unless you have live stock pick someone gets told it's in stock when it isn't. Or if someone comes in the shop at 9am and buys one off the shelf before you've done the overnight orders!?

Plus even the best systems rely on correct info being manually imputted when stock arrives (you don't want to know how much a bafflde scanning solution would be!!£
Most free sites are based on the osCommerce architecture which is a completely live stock system (if required), over-ordering is impossible.

In-store purchases are slightly more complex, depending on the layout of your shop and the number of customers you have it is harder to track stock, obviously you don't want to take items out of a customers basket because it had been ordered online the night before! However the instances when this will happen are very rare. Look at a shop like Modelsport or Microtech and they basically run a "trade counter" operation.

As you say, correct stock control as it comes in and goes out is fundamental in any business and I'm sure a shop the size of DMS have a strong system in place for that.
Old 27-05-2009

Quote:

Cass..

What part(s) are you after, If Darren at DMS cant help you then Im sure someone on here can, I might even have it myself or maybe two

Lee
Old 27-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Most free sites are based on the osCommerce architecture which is a completely live stock system (if required), over-ordering is impossible.

In-store purchases are slightly more complex, depending on the layout of your shop and the number of customers you have it is harder to track stock, obviously you don't want to take items out of a customers basket because it had been ordered online the night before! However the instances when this will happen are very rare. Look at a shop like Modelsport or Microtech and they basically run a "trade counter" operation.

As you say, correct stock control as it comes in and goes out is fundamental in any business and I'm sure a shop the size of DMS have a strong system in place for that.
Yeah, although my last order from Modelsport had an out of stock item missing when it was in stock in the website when I ordered. In fact somewhere about a third of my orders from them have exactly the same, in stock items becoming out of stock!
Old 27-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Live stock levels seems to work here at JEspares, can't fault it. If it didn't work then it'd make my life hardwork explaining to customers who thought we had stock, which is also bad news for customer satisfaction. No information is better than bad/wrong information ofcause though.

The thing is, banks are putting pressure on companies to reduce working capital (stock) due to the state of the economy, and therefore the wholesaler (Schumacher) try to forecast more tightly which results in reduced stock - and no availability more often. The shops are also under pressure to stock less, but the wholesaler wants/needs the shops to stock more of everything for the system to work. Vicous circle, getting it right is very hard to do.
Old 27-05-2009

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Your comments are the exact reason why we still dont use a stock checker online here at DMS, since VERY FEW are accurate and as such a waste of time in our opinion. Nothing a quick phone call or email cant reslove before placing the order.
For myself, I prefer some indicator than none (so if stock is low, I get a move on with the order!).

Another advantage with something like osCommerce is that it makes your stock visible to search engines and price comparators - whenever I Google to see what stores have particular items, DMS never shows up in the results. That, if anything, is even more critical.

Signing up to Quidco (even if it's just a tiny discount) may reap dividends too.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 27-05-2009

The reason I was inclined to order at schumacher is that they generally have the best categorisation of parts and one would assume they ought to keep more inventory than their retailers. Looking up on their site then finding them on another uncategorised site is painful.

With a properly stocked store that is automatically reordering inventory when it gets below a certain depletion level, then having live customers buying should never be a problem either assuming reorder triggers are set correctly.

So can anyone recommend a shop that categorises parts as well as schumacher and tracks+maintains a large inventory? I don't really see the point in introducing a middle man if they will then have to order from schumacher themselves introducing delays for no benefit to the customer.

So, are Schumacher still struggling to supply CATs these days? I just can't understand the constant high unavailability of essential parts. They never have a complete body shell + undertray + wing available, I ordered spring kits and only got one end, my ARBs got cancelled etc etc. Simply infuriating!

This time I just wanted some preglued yellow minispikes... They only have them for one end of the car... Quelle surprise.
Old 27-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

We have Preglued's at JEspares in stock.

Schumacher are wholesalers, and in theory its the shops/retailers who should stock the items. Schumacher shouldn't need to. End users should buy from retailers and wholesalers shouldn't really have a facility for end users to buy directly from them.
Old 27-05-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
The reason I was inclined to order at schumacher is that they generally have the best categorisation of parts and one would assume they ought to keep more inventory than their distributors. Looking up on their site then finding them on another uncategorised site is painful.

With a properly stocked store that is automatically reordering inventory when it gets below a certain depletion level, then having live customers buying should never be a problem either assuming reorder triggers are set correctly.

So can anyone recommend a shop that categorises parts as well as schumacher and tracks+maintains a large inventory? I don't really see the point in introducing a middle man if they will then have to order from schumacher themselves introducing delays for no benefit to the customer.

So, are Schumacher still struggling to supply CATs these days? I just can't understand the constant high unavailability of essential parts. They never have a complete body shell + undertray + wing available, I ordered spring kits and only got one end, my ARBs got cancelled etc etc. Simply infuriating!

This time I just wanted some preglued yellow minispikes... They only have them for one end of the car... Quelle surprise.
Everything you mention in your post we currently have in stock (except front spring sets) We also have 9 variants of the CAT kits on the shelf and our spares are amongst the highest in stock in the UK
Old 27-05-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:

Its not a crazy attitude at all, it is testement to the other posts that follow below yours that many of the online stock checkers ARE NOT accurate, this does not interest me in the slightest for our business.

We carry over 24,000 lines at DMS (more , I think I am safe in saying than almost anywhere), and we "stock it heavily" too. I am not prepapred to spend 1,000's of our money on "top of the range" software and fully automated EPOS systems that will be less money spent on the most important thing of all...stock!!

You show me a system that can be had cheap, that is 100% accurate, with an "easy" way to add 24,000 lines to the inventory that includes mobile barcode scanners for when we are trackside, then DMS will add it to our system instantly. This is where many of the other shops score highly, they dont sell trackside, whereas we do to support the racers, this adds the "sell it when it is already sold" equation in which we simply do not want to do. It would only take a few instances of letting customers down with "promised" stock that was "available" online and customers would leave in their droves, we simply cannot risk that, nor can we justify the 1,000's on the system that would be needed to avoid it...
Old 27-05-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post

Plus even the best systems rely on correct info being manually imputted when stock arrives (you don't want to know how much a barcode scanning solution would be!!

I'm not sure I know of any shop which has a storefront and webshop who can be 100% accurate, though it's doable for a web only store!
Dave, thankyou my point exactly, we are both a walk in store (30% of our business), online webshop (65%) and trackside store at the weekends (5%) this system just is not viable for us at present as I mentioned above, maybe we should stop supporting the meetings (I dont think so) then the stock never leaves the building though.
Old 27-05-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:

As I mentioned above, we are not just a "trade counter" but a full on shop and this is why this kind of system just is not possibel here at present all of our stock control and stock checking here at DMS is manual, as in our invoicing as anybody who has used us will see.

Also, just how big do you think DMS are, (you make us sound like a Supermarket!! LOL) We are a one shop enterprise with just 5 members of staff (3 are part time, 2 full time) that is it, we are not as BIG as some poeple obviuosly think, we just service a LOT of racers....

Last edited by Darren Boyle; 27-05-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: My spelling when I type quick is nothing short of cr**
Old 27-05-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
We have Preglued's at JEspares in stock.

Schumacher are wholesalers, and in theory its the shops/retailers who should stock the items. Schumacher shouldn't need to. End users should buy from retailers and wholesalers shouldn't really have a facility for end users to buy directly from them.
Thanks Chris, my thoughts entirely too
Old 27-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
we just service a LOT of racers....
PMSL.... ...
Perhaps people just expect too much nowadays, but all we can do is our best.

People seem to forget, its a Niche market and its a lot to expect shops to stock every item as things move on so quickly, its not like selling paperclips, DMS take on a lot of risk by stocking so well.
Old 27-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to millzy

i expect way to much - is it to much to ask for one A final win or for my wife not to nagg at me for 1 day

lol
Old 27-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ive not seen you race for ages mate, are you back?
Well.... as for your wife, im sure she would love to stop nagging & you probably deserve it though...