Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > Healthy Stuff

Old 22-01-2011
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple
Default *Stub Me Out* - Smoking Cessation with Brian Shardlow.

Around 21% of adults in Britain smoke, and I suspect that some of those access this forum (I don't have any such statistics to hand though, so this is merely guesswork). Anyway, just on the off chance that this is the case, I'm here to plant some smoking cessation seeds in your minds.

Statistically (can't remember where from, sorry) 74% of people who smoke want to quit.

Briefly, the health benefits from quitting start pretty much straight away. BP and pulse return to normal, circulation improves (this includes circulation to man pieces ), Oxygen levels return to normal.
And of course the result is you have more money to spend on racing, you smell nicer, and should be less likely to become stressed out and flap on the rostrum.

Quitting smoking also helps to 'break the cycle' and should help to reduce the number of young people taking up the habit.

Anyway, I don't for a moment doubt how difficult it must be to firstly make the decision to quit, and secondly to pursue it. I have a great admiration for anyone who tries, and especially who succeeds. One such quitter is our in-house Brian Shardlow, who has agreed to share his story with us and hopefully influence and advise any potential additions to the smoke-free club.

There are loads of resources out there and tons of support available to help people who wish to stop smoking.
Of course; http://smokefree.nhs.uk/

I'd suggest using this thread as a helpful community environment for support with your effort, but seeking professional help from your GP surgery is probably always the best start.

Good luck

Old 23-01-2011

I had been wanting to give up for a long time,I promised my wife I would give up as soon as my little one was born. She is 20 months now...... I got in touch with the GP's surgery and after a discussion with a nurse we decided on a course of "champix".

Today is day 70 and I am feeling great. I am so glad i've done it, And I don't actually want one any more, I don't wake up coughing in the middle of the night anymore. I don't reek all the time, I don't have to go out the back in the rain / snow / cold anymore.My body is actually feeling healthyish!

And on top of that there are the financial benefits, The money for fags got put in a jar and in 10 weeks I had enough to buy an X6 complete kit and some hop-up's and some spares too.

I really wish I had done this a long long time ago. I will definately recommend "champix" as long as you meet the "not a depressed psychotic killer test" as there can be some rare side effects.

I have some feedback from trades done a while ago.
Trader Feedback

Last edited by jaxx; 23-01-2011 at 01:22 AM. Reason: to correct ytpo's.........
Old 27-01-2011
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple

Congratulations jaxx
have you completed the course of champix? I don't know much about how it works, but have friends who have successfully quit on that treatment.

Good luck with staying off the smokes...

Old 05-02-2011

Thanks for the thanks, The champix and I didnt see eye to eye, I liked it... It didn't like me. I had quite a few minor side effects with it. I only had 1 mouth ulcer, It started back left and went all the way round to back right OOh that smarts. Constantly heavily bleeding gums for 3-4 days. My mate at work has done the champix and he's been crying in the morning for two weeks now!, Thank god I looked like I'd done a round with Mike Tyson.

I have jested about my experience with champix, My wife is a fully trained A&E Nurse and works in swindon, When she's not off being pregnant..... so Help from a Doctor if needed was never far away.

Still recommend it though.

I have some feedback from trades done a while ago.
Trader Feedback
Old 05-02-2011

Quit 3 days ago. Started when i was 13....
I must admit the best thing to use is 'the easy way to quit smoking' by Allen Carr. - http://allencarr.com/central/
No side effects and you end up understanding why you smoke.

Clears up a lot of myths around nicotine replacment therapy, which i have tried in the past, the reason that method takes will power is it doesnt remove the craving in the first place.

And by the way the chemical addiction is gone after 48hrs after that your clear, yep 2 days down the line you have quit.

Good luck!

X4TE
X2C

Last edited by pro4nut; 05-02-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling and web link
Old 13-02-2011
Mad Member

this is a fantastic thread i'v quit smoking three times over the last 10 years.
the first time i stopped for 18 months and i thought i'd cracked it, but one thing that always starts me off again is the fact that i'm bloody terrified of flying so every time we go on holiday i tell myself that i'll just have a couple to calm my nerves, but i end up smoking again.
well the last time i managed to quit there were two factors one my health,and two the most important i want to beable to see my kids grow up, and i felt so guilty when my kids would see me smoking.
i think i did it the most difficult way possible, and that was will power, but god it was tough, and still is, but i'm getting there one day at a time.
the most important thing i needed and relyed on was the support of my family.
next month (march) will be 3 years (the longest i have ever gone without a cig) , but i still feel that anyone who gives it a go should be encouraged as much as possible so if this thread helps just a few to quit its well worth its place on here.
when i was smoking i felt so unfit, but three years on i'v started cycling again after years off my bike, and i have done 5 sportive cycle rides ranging from 35 miles to the lattest one that i have just signed up for is a 70 mile ride 1 weekend, and a 104 mile ride the very next weekend what the hell have i let myself in for

al the people that are thinking about quitting just get some advice, and go for it.
keep up the great work this is a great idea