Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 24-02-2013
Mad Member

Default What Camera?

After some advice please guys, I'm looking to buy a half decent camera for the wife's birthday (an what she doesn't know yet for me to borrow for racing as well lol) only looking to spend about £150 but have got no idea about cameras, would like something if possible that will handle fast moving objects like cars (RC an 1:1) an dogs that doesn't blur

Any help much appreciated guys
Old 25-02-2013

It's more or less down to the lens you use but if u want to only get the camera get a cannon one or talk to a photographer.

Hope it's helps
IriahRacer
Old 25-02-2013
Mad Member

Just after a rough starting point but will look into a canon
Old 25-02-2013
Mad Member

why canon?
there are plenty of decent camera makers out there....

Nikon
Pentax
Olympus
Leica
Ricoh
Fujifilm
plus all the cameras from the large consumer electrics manufacturers like
Sony
Samsung
Panasonic etc..

if i was spending £150 i'd be looking at the Panasonic Lumix range
Old 26-02-2013

I agree with SHOWTIME

personally i use a nikon D700 which is pricy but my pocket cam is a LUMIX which cost me £170 and in all honesty its a fantastic point and press piece of kit
Old 26-02-2013

Honestly? For £150 you're going to struggle getting something that'll happily focus on and freeze rc cars and dogs in motion. Generally they don't have suitably quick focus speed or shutter response.

However, if you pick a camera that has some manual/creative controls (typically appear as P,A,S,M on the mode dial) and are prepared to work hard with prefocus and panning techniques you'll stand a chance. Most of the time using it in 'auto' or 'program' modes won't cut it for fast action - this applies to £150 compact cameras whatever the badge on the front.

My tip would be to look for something used but of a higher grade. For example, the Nikon J1 is blisteringly quick in decent daylight and not a massive piece of kit to carry around. Now discontinued, used ones might just about be in reach - like HERE (of course, you'd need at least one lens on top of this!)
Old 26-02-2013
Mad Member

First think of how you will be using this camera:

- Do you use if mainly indoors or outdoors?
- How mobile must the camera be? Many people think DSLR cameras are the bomb until they find themselves not hauling the camera around because it's too big and bulky, so really carefully consider this.
- How rough will it be used? To have with you on a backpacking trip through the Alps or to make a family picture when you're having dinner with family or friends - in other words, do you need a rugged, waterproof camera or will it be treated like a puppy.
- What do you make pictures of? Do you want to make pictures of your subject as a whole or photograph their details - and does your subject barely fit in your own eye-sight or is it a tiny dot in your sight? This is to determine what kind of lens is most suited for you... A wide angle lens, one that can zoom in far, and/or one that can make macro pictures.
- Are your subjects static objects or not? (Ok, you pretty much mentioned you want a quick auto-focus, but I'm just putting it in here).
- Do you expect you will be expanding your camera gear with things like lenses, flashes, tripods etc, or do you want one unit to do all the work out of the box? Keep costs in mind here, and that mobility decreases when the amount of accesoires increases. Also, you can consider here whether you want one unit/camera that's versatile or want to be able to adjust your camera to it's optimum specification for the pictures you are taking at that very moment.
- Do you want to take pictures looking through a viewfinder or looking onto a screen? This one is essential - I for one can't stand looking at a screen making pictures or videos but for many people it is like second nature to hold the apparatus away from them.
- How much knowledge do you have on camera settings? A camera can very adjustable, but if you are not going to use those manual adjustments or don't know how to use them, you are better off finding a camera that does this work extremely well for you.

And the last question:
- Do your demands for the camera match those of your wife?
I understand you want a camera for RC photography and one that your wife can use. Perhaps it's tactical to answer this list of questions above for both yourself and your wife... Then soon enough you'll know how realistic it is that you can find one camera that will work for the both of you, or where you might need to compromise to make one camera work for the both of you.

As for brands... I founds brands to be utterly deceiving when it comes to a benchmark of quality. It really depends on the demands you have (list of questions I asked), the price class (cheap cameras even from renowned brands are not necessarily any good) and the specific model (so read some reviews before you buy).

I hope this helps a bit
Old 27-02-2013
Mad Member

I agree with just about everything that's been said above.

No one has pointed out that you don't need the biggest pixel count or the latest equipment... My girlfriend got me an old £30 Kodak Z650 super zoom from ebay 2 years ago, it cost £30. I got some decent pictures of rally cross cars using that.

You could get a used Canon 300D for that sort of money, they're perfectly good. I think the 6MP sensor they have is clearer than some of the newer tech today if you're not going to enlarge the image more than A3 size !

Look at older equipment and see what bargains you can find.

A Digital SLR would be best and give much better results if you can afford it, other wise one of the "bridge or superzoom's" will be perfect for your your and your wifes needs.

My paintwork thread