Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > BRCA 1/10th OFF ROAD - 2010

Old 19-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default National Newby's

This thread is for first timers to the National series.
Could you tell us what you expected before you have been to a national, and what you thought after you have been to an event?

I heard some comments like they never expected the pace to be so fast.

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the event as a whole, and also your thoughts about each event you attend.

Cheers
Dc
Old 19-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

12 heats... of course the pace will be fast!
Old 19-04-2010

Not sure if you mean of pace the event running or the pace of the other drivers, but i was really happy with the way it ran, it was consistent and once i got into the swing of things it was all ok.

I really enjoyed my first national, pretty much what i expected it to be though warmer nights would be nice =D
Old 19-04-2010

Dave...

Both mine & Rich Davis' First National experience and what a great weekend it was all round, the track was great, the weather was great, the banter with the welsh boys was great and the standard was awesome (as expected)...

Looking at the round by round over the two days it was amazing to see how many places you could move up or down with only a few tenths difference, It just goes to show that you need to be near on perfect and consistent every lap to get in with a shout of any early alphabet letter !!

We didnt enter expecting to be anywhere near the middle let alone near the top of the pile and were quite happy to battle it out in the lower end of the scale...hoping to improve as the series progresses though and move up at least one or two finals by the end of the year...

Thanks to everyone involved with Talywain and to you guys running the meeting...

Roll on RHR
Old 19-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It's good for all to get feedback from people that have not been to a National before.
Feel free to introduce yourselves to me at the next meeting you are at, it won't be too hard to find me
Old 19-04-2010
Mad Member

It was my first national this weekend. I thought the organisation was great, both days went without a hitch and the commentating during the racing was fantastic. It let everyone know who was in the lead and what was happening.

Only thing I was surprised at was how quiet the referee was. I'm not knocking the referee but just expected racing at nationals to be super strict.

All in all it was a good weekend and although I finished better than I expected I found out a couple of seconds can be the difference between 2 finals.
Old 20-04-2010
oOple Advertiser

This was my first BRCA National.......

So thoughts, for us it was a long journey, left Dublin on the 8am ferry on Friday back in Dublin at 6.30am on Monday, and straight in to work.

Was it worth it................. yes.

As National newby's we were made very welcome by Paul (who kept us up to date on the reserve situation all week) Charlie, DC & the rest of the staff at Talywain (sorry that I can't remember names, there was a lot of 'em).

I was very happy & impressed with how the meeting was run, tight on time, but you always knew what was happening. The printed time table for everyone was great.

Racing as expected the standard was very high, but very fair. Like the Euros (Worlds) cracking to see the top lads do what the do so well.

Commentary for all the heats was a great thing to have. We're F5 since it's our first season and out in heat 1 in both classes. But all heats from first to last were given the same level of 'support' from the commentary team (Phil, Jonsey, DC [sorry if I'm missing out anyone]) as well as the race officials.

Hopefully we'll get entries for more of the rounds.

MiCk B. :-)

http://www.p-dubracing.co.uk
(Stocking: 8Racing / AVID / GHEA / Xpert Racing / Factory R/C / Alton Design Innovations)

http://www.msdmodels.ie/
(Trackside and on-line RC supplies.)

Old 20-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Cheers for the kind words Mick!!!
As a BRCA official and part time commentator, we don't often get compliments, it's good to hear that our efforts are appreciated.
People soon forget that we also race, marshall and commentate on 4 heats per round, oh and have to find some time to do a bit on the cars, although I am lucky as I have good friends that help, this doesn't leave much time so the day is like a whirlwind haha!!!
Glad you enjoyed yourself, I look forward to seeing you at further rounds!!!
Old 28-05-2010

This is my first year doing nationals (my first time ever doing off road) and i'm really impressed with the organisation, the friendly drivers and the tracks. I was'nt expecting it to be so strict, as the last time i raced we was using 2400 NiMh batteries lol so it was a while ago, and thing's have deffo changed since then. I love the fact that everyone is friendly but still competative it just gives off such a great atmosphere

Would deffo recommend to anyone who hasn't tried a national before.

Looking forward to round 3

Old 28-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Glad you like it Shaun
The BRCA run the best meetings in the world!!!
Old 07-06-2010

First National at EPR last weekend and had an amazing time. Weather, friends and racing all superb.

My biggest surprise was being 3rd on the grid for 4wd K final (outside line) and not being T boned by 4th place. Coming from touring car background that's quite amazing. Brilliant driving all weekend throughout the field.

Slick meeting by the EPR boys and made all the better by beating Griff and Belsten at pool on Friday night with Springer. Never made an easier £20 cheers boys

Cheers everyone.

Mark
Old 07-06-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

to be fair, we were both very sober!
Old 08-06-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFF55 View Post
to be fair, we were both very sober!
To be fair, Mark carried me most of the way ............ but I still enjoyed the £20
Old 15-09-2010
Mad Member

Well it's all over for the year, and my first year of nationals.

I have to say BIG thanks to all the guys who help out running the events at all the clubs. I help to run the Caldicot club myself and we host the micro nationals, so have small insight into what is involved...not as big as 1/10th nats as it's a single day indoor event...but there's a lot of work goes on behind the scenes to make the racing as much fun and as well organised as it is, so again THANKS GUYS

I've only been doing rc racing for a couple of years, and only really indoors before this year...so for me it's been a steep learning curve doing the nationals and regionals...changing surfaces, grip levels, lumps, bumps, setup changes, weather, hangovers and toffoc!

All in all, massively enjoyed it...some great days racing, some not so good, but it's never spoilt the enjoyment...your going to get those not so good days I guess, but the whole atmosphere and weekend away camping means the racing isn't the only thing you get out of the weekend.

The driving standard has been amazing to watch and take part in, some slightly 'brutal' moments fighting it out in the lower heats...especially in the finals...but the referreeing has been great...really good to hear about who's lapping who and when. The structure to the days is amazing...once you get into the rhythm of it all it's staggering to see how much racing can be fitted into a day, top job the BRCA

Thanks to Jonesy in particular, who's commentated on my heats pretty much the whole time...and pronounced my name correctly, first time, everytime...now that's what I call quality!!! Top job

My only comment about the way it's been run so far is the tannoy systems...the pit areas are massive, and the number of generators is frankly unbelieveble...I thought it was going to relatively quiet doing electric class racing...how wrong could I be with gene's, tv's, computers, fridges, etc, etc...maybe the venues could consider running extra PA out around the pitting areas so that we can all hear the annoucements and whats going throughout the day? That'd be ace!

Anyway, I was only planning to do it for this year to see what it's all about...but the bug has well and truely bitten...not sure what the missus will say, but roll on next year!
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs