Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 03-07-2012

Default Losi SCTE Big Bore conversion

After some difficulties racing the Losi scte on high grip astro and carpet, the standard shocks were ditched in favour of the Big Bores from the Losi 8. Immediately they made the truck far more stable and driveable and with a few months of testing the setup is becoming very good on all surfaces, especially astro. Another advantage of the 8 big bores is the range of springs avaliable.

To further enhance the performance of the truck in high grip conditions the ride height has been greatly lowered by fitting different shock towers. The rear is off of the Losi 8t 2.0 via the dremel. The front is a custom made tower which allows the shocks to be stood up a long way from standard which greatly imporoves the handling. I have some front shock towers avaliable if anybody is interested in the conversion. Feel free to post up on this thread or to pm me if you are interested in a front tower or more information about the conversion.

Old 03-07-2012
Mad Member

I ran 22 pistons in my SCTE and had no issues with setups for astro or carpet,

was tempted with going to 8ight shocks but after realising it was just poor kit piston issues i saved a lot of hassle and expense!
Old 03-07-2012

Each to their own but i didnt feel like changing the pistons and springs on the standard shocks got anywhere near as much extra performance as running the big bores. They open up a whole new level of performance and tuning options.
Old 03-07-2012
Mad Member

Tbh it seems overkill and expensive when the SCTE is far too heavy to be competitive against the DESC410R's on high grip surfaces.

You could spend £300 making the SCTE lighter and it would still be too heavy!
Old 04-07-2012

The problem isnt the weight itself, its controlling it. This is where the big bore shocks come into their own. My Losi is now as good as, if not better than the durango on astro, at kit weight. The only place the losi looses out is on initial max acceleration, and that could be differences in power bands of motor/speedo/gearing etc. Through the corners the big bore conversion puts the losi right up there.
Old 04-07-2012

On astro I just need the SCTE shocks set up emulsion style, som tyres specially for astro (Schumi mini spike) and a 4-pole motor with a good 120a esc for fast response.
No bigger schocks and special shocktowers needed here.
I can easily keep up with the Durango!
A lighter aftermarket chassis is also a plus.
I mostly drive on a bigger 1/8 track.
Old 16-08-2012

I run emulsion style shocks with #3 pistons and I've never had any issue getting my SCTE round astro tracks, if you need more steering just ditch the front sway bar, just look at my avatar pic of my SCTE gripping and turning on a dime
TLR SCTE 2.0 - Tekin RX8 G2 - Tekin Pro4 4600kv - Xpert SI-3401 BLS
LC Racing EMB-1 & EMB-SC

Sanwa MT4

Intellect & Gens Ace Powered
Old 18-08-2012

Hi chaps,
For myself i the big bore conversion works well for me, i felt i can push the car harder on high grip surface (astro), but i totally understand what the other guys are saying here as on a dirt track or a looser surface it proberly wont make hardley any difference.

I told NO.46 about what i had done with the shocks and towers and he immediatley was faster round the track.....but as he said "each to their own"

My car i will try and post piks for you all to have a look at, im not saying its the best......it just suits me and my aggresive driving style.....or a animal...

Most of you may know this anyway, but i have glued my metal inserts in my diff case and case top and added a shim on the outside so that the diff drive does not now able to move into the case and make the diff tighter when under load, that also was a massive help.

Theres alot of people put the Losi down as a 4wd sct.......but its a superb bit of kit.....like most cars they may not be the best out of the box.

I will post my car up soon.

Wayne Pratley.
Old 18-08-2012

piks as promised...sorry there a bit on the large side !!
Old 19-08-2012

Having raced with No46 and Wanos (EOE Regionals) these SC's are now quick for those of you that have not seen them go it is hard for you to comment all i can say is if you raced them you would soon be converting to big bore shocks.

When i had a go of wanos's car at the end of last year it handled like a citroen 2cv after alot of work and testing his car now looks great and this made No46 convert and this made the regionals a real battle between me and 46

Bomber has also gone big bore and he came 3rd at SHRCC national

Wanos your pics look like you have NO tyre shine

Old 20-08-2012

The Scte is a bloody awesome car, the big bores on astro make it even better
Old 21-08-2012

Its not just about astro, the bigbore shocks are alot more effective on bumpier tracks aswell.

Please note
Anyone planning putting 8ight shocks on their SCTE be sure you change the towers, I am running 8ight carbon towers however these are not a direct replacement and will require modification, No46 does have a front shock tower which is a direct replacement though.

Although our cars are far from the stock configuration the 8ight shock mod had the biggest effect on the cars handling characteristics.
Old 27-11-2012

Im thinking of going BB on my scte, what springs, pistons and oil do you recommend???
LC Racing EMB-1 & EMB-SC

Sanwa MT4

Old 29-11-2012

I run rounded 55 pistons front and rear, 37.5 oil front 30 rear, Green front springs silver rears.

I run this mostly everywhere but do run slightly harder springs and oil in the summer on astro etc
Old 29-11-2012

Cheers Bomber
LC Racing EMB-1 & EMB-SC

Sanwa MT4