Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 16-03-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Default Cougar SV2 Build thread

Right, after a long time away from Schumacer cars, I have taken up with them again, much to my wallets dismay!! So I thought I would do something useful for you guy, and take pics along the building road. Hopefully this will highlight the differences between the SV and SV2, apart from the chassis.

The build follows along the same lines as the SV, I have built my car as kit for now, so in saddle format, in the forward position. The gearbox base is different, so the way you alter the caster is to.

There is also a little difference to the rear wishbones to, not to sure what it is, not really looked at the old car fully.

Follwing the manual, the front end comes next, the lower bulkhead, steering bellcranks and centre track rod are all the same as before, just now you have the option of raising the centre track rod, according to the manual, raising it softens the response around the centre point of the steering.

The front Camber link plate is also a new to the SV2 item, and seems to be a lot thicker than the previous car.

Front wishbones remain the same, with the option of fitting them standard or reverse, caster blocks remain the same from the SV2, but the steering arms are different giving a constant radius(?) steering angle.

The gearbox has had a revamp as well, with some criticism over the smaller bearings of the original car, the bearings have been upped in size. With all new gears inside the box, and all the nylon ones looking as though they are machined (RW?) and the use of SX3 gears for the outer idlers. Also, new diff outdrives (same material as the SX3 I think), should make the gearbox a lot stronger. The slipper remains the same, new motor plate, and now the inclusion of a gear cover. Mine has a couple of tight spots, but they should go within the first run.

Right, more tomorrow!!
Old 17-03-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Right, diff builds up in the same way as the SV, using a circlip, tighten diff fully and back off 90' then lock with the grub screw, I didn't use the kit grease, I prefer to use Nuclear RC's diff and thrust grease. The gearbox build up easily enough, just needs to be beedded in. Diff also has the option of the high and low posotion which affects rear traction.

Another departure from the SV, is rebuildable Universal Joints, which is a welcome addition. They come pre-assembled, but being the suspicious person I am, I pulled out the grub screw and pin, gave them a quick clean, slid the pin back in, ensuring the flat was in the right place, added a little thread lock to the grub screw to ensure it stays together.

Shocks are the same style as before, 6 hole pistons for the rear, 4 hole for the front, 2.5 rear springs, 4.0 fronts. These are some of the easiest shocks I have built, the diaphragm and bleed hole makes it very easy to get the shocks even with rebound. (With new shocks, ALWAYS flush the metal parts with motor/brake cleaner and leave to dry first, assemble shock seals with a suitable grease).

The chassis configuration is quite a difference from the previous car, or should I say, how the topdeck attaches to the car. Unlike another car, the topdeck braces the car from front to rear, using the slide pin on the front upper bulkhead, and a turnbuckle brace from the gearbox to the topdeck ((make sure you measure the turnbuckle, otherwise you will be tweaking your chassis). With all four screws in, the car is pretty rigid, so I can only assume that removing some induces some flex into the car to.

Right, thats the basic build out of the way, will post electrics install soon, and shell.
Old 17-03-2012
Mad Member

Default nice

good build thread. great pics. am i right in thinking, that you have to remove 4 screws and a pin to get the top deck off/change lipos???
seems like alot of hassel........ and with a full top deck like kit standard, there would be no flext at all???? hmmmmm
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 17-03-2012
Mad Member

Check out Tom Cockerill's top deck from this previous post.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93771
Old 17-03-2012
Mad Member

Default cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0m3sy View Post
Check out Tom Cockerill's top deck from this previous post.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93771
yeah looks better, I am sure there will be many changes on the sv2 in no time.... still undecided if i replave my Sv with one, hmmm..
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 17-03-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARTMAN View Post
yeah looks better, I am sure there will be many changes on the sv2 in no time.... still undecided if i replave my Sv with one, hmmm..
Same here. I've got one of each but in no rush to build the new one as the old one is a great car.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 17-03-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sime46 View Post
Same here. I've got one of each but in no rush to build the new one as the old one is a great car.

greedy boy

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486