Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > oOple Talk

Old 24-12-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Garry Driffill
Default BSD RACING EP-8 HIGHVOLT 1:8TH BRUSHLESS BUGGY

Just come accross these - http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/BS803T.html

Anyone had any experience with them? - Bargain price too

"The EP8 Highvolt is a next generation brushless powered buggy that provides stunning speeds that will simply take your breath away. Although quick, the EP8 has great control through straights, curves and bumps and is powered by 2 x 3200mAh,7.4v Lipo battery packs which are connected to the motor via a high power, 80A Cooled ESC. The EP8 provides you all the fun and excitment of 1/8th racing, but without the mess and noise!"

I know you pay for what you get in a sence but for £249.99 RTR with LiPos is really good value for a base car..

Specifacations:

The EP-8 Highvolt is a next generation brushless powered 1:8th off road buggy.

The EP-8 has amazing speed and control through the straights, curves and bumps. Power is provided by two 3200mAh, 7.4v LiPo battery packs connected to a high power 2230kv brushless motor via an 80A fan-cooled ESC.

The blue countersunk chassis, oversized oil filled shocks and sealed gearboxes with high strength diffs are just some of the high spec features.

The EP-8 Highvolt provides all the fun and excitement of 1:8th racing, but without the mess and noise!

• Fully assembled and Ready-To-Run
• Pre-painted buggy bodyshell
• Full function steerwheel RC system
• High performance 2230KV brushless motor
• EZRUN-80A brushless ESC
• 2 x 3200mAh 7.4V 20C hard-case Li-Po battery packs
• Deans style power plugs and JST-XH balance connectors
• Blue anodised 6061 aluminium countersunk chassis
• 4-wheel shaft drive system
• Aluminium alloy drive shafts
• Steel main gear
• 4mm shaft, MOD-1 pinion gear
• Aluminium motor mount plate
• Waterproof and dustproof sealed gearboxes
• Quality four bevel gear differentials
• Precise sealed ball bearings
• Coil spring oil damped suspension system
• Easy access receiver and battery box
• High downforce rear spoiler
• Adjustable rear wing mount
• 17mm hex drive hubs
• Racing dish wheels with pre-glued high-blox dirt tyres

• Length: 458mm
• Width: 305mm
• Height: 165mm
• Wheelbase: 335mm

Hummmm!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bs803t_6.jpg (68.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg bs803t_9.jpg (61.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg bs803t_4.jpg (48.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg bs803t_11.jpg (46.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 24-12-2009

Mmmmm... Looks great(!).

I wish these random manufacturers would stop putting electrics that are sort of up to the job in these things - do it properly or not at all...

14.8V with 3200mAh will not be enough for 10 minutes run time on the track, and at 20C, they will overheat, and after 30 or so cycles when the packs begin to 'wear off' they will probably puff as they won't be as capable.

The motor will be Feigao based at best (which is pretty poor to be honest), and will run very hot, and isn't particularly efficient.

The EZ-Run 80A ESC is the only OK piece of electric equipment in it, and even that I'd say that the 150A version would be better.
Old 26-12-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to matdodd

Ive had ago of one and it wasn't to bad straight out of the box it handled quite well.
It did feel a bit slow but rtr's generally are & its a good price and seamed quite strong from the hits we gave it!
Old 26-12-2009
Mad Member

Sounds pretty cool on a sorta impulse buy and not to serious racing side of things then by the sounds of it.

I can appricate with the more you fork out the better quality of product you will get but at that price it seems pretty cool

I cant find any video of the car running anywhere on the net at all which sucks
Old 27-12-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Mmmmm... Looks great(!).

I wish these random manufacturers would stop putting electrics that are sort of up to the job in these things - do it properly or not at all...

14.8V with 3200mAh will not be enough for 10 minutes run time on the track, and at 20C, they will overheat, and after 30 or so cycles when the packs begin to 'wear off' they will probably puff as they won't be as capable.

The motor will be Feigao based at best (which is pretty poor to be honest), and will run very hot, and isn't particularly efficient.

The EZ-Run 80A ESC is the only OK piece of electric equipment in it, and even that I'd say that the 150A version would be better.
come on its rtr for little money, your attitude hardly promotes newbies into the sport, heck let em spend £1000 and see if its for them eh!
Old 27-12-2009
Mad Member

This is reviewed in next months (March i think) Racer Magazine
Old 27-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
come on its rtr for little money, your attitude hardly promotes newbies into the sport, heck let em spend £1000 and see if its for them eh!
But, no person is going to stay in the hobby if they buy something that is toted as 'good enough' which then turns out that they need to spend an extra x amount upgrading all the electrics which were apparantly good enough. From my experience, the kind of people who want to do 1/8th electric don't want to skimp out on costs - it's not a beginner's area at the moment - it's not developed enough for that - and this is proof - the only way it can be made cheaper at the moment is to cut too many corners in the wrong places.

If a company did a 1/8 electronics 'kit' for other cars, for around that price point - then that'd be a good solution. Fine, it still wouldn't be cheap (probably £5-600 RTR), but then it really would be 'good enough' - the approaches taken by Traxxas and HPI for the brushless 1/8 stuff seems to be the best to me, using proven, high quality electronics with a good warranty, and allowing the user to choose their own batteries. No matter which way you cut it, those 3200mAh 20C batteries included in that EP-8 just are not good enough, and the lifetime of those packs will be drastically reduced, won't provide a great run-time (10 minutes maybe?), and they probably aren't 'true 20C' anyway - like many of the 'cheap Ebay job-batteries' out there.
Old 27-12-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
But, no person is going to stay in the hobby if they buy something that is toted as 'good enough' which then turns out that they need to spend an extra x amount upgrading all the electrics which were apparantly good enough. From my experience, the kind of people who want to do 1/8th electric don't want to skimp out on costs - it's not a beginner's area at the moment - it's not developed enough for that - and this is proof - the only way it can be made cheaper at the moment is to cut too many corners in the wrong places.

If a company did a 1/8 electronics 'kit' for other cars, for around that price point - then that'd be a good solution. Fine, it still wouldn't be cheap (probably £5-600 RTR), but then it really would be 'good enough' - the approaches taken by Traxxas and HPI for the brushless 1/8 stuff seems to be the best to me, using proven, high quality electronics with a good warranty, and allowing the user to choose their own batteries. No matter which way you cut it, those 3200mAh 20C batteries included in that EP-8 just are not good enough, and the lifetime of those packs will be drastically reduced, won't provide a great run-time (10 minutes maybe?), and they probably aren't 'true 20C' anyway - like many of the 'cheap Ebay job-batteries' out there.
then if they want good gear there not going to buy a cheap rtr
Old 12-01-2010
Mad Member

Finally found a video of this running if its of any interest to anyone..

Old 31-03-2011

i own this buggy, paid much less than that though, here are my thoughts...

i run nitro and used to race touring cars about 9 years ago when they were still brushed and running ni-cd! anyway i wanted to try an electric buggy for fun so i bought the above.

first thoughts out the box..... the radio gear is rubbish am 27mhz and looks real cheap but in the interest of afair trial i let it be for the first run... before i went out i balance charged the lipo's using a elysium lx60b balance charger, then i stripped the buggy and boiled all the plastic parts to prevent them from being so brittle (it really works) and threadlocked everything metal.

the range of radio, the range is suprisingly good i had it almost out of sight on an acre field and the safety never cut in once the controls are plasticy but functional and all seems ok.

the runtime, at light to moderate acceleration and speed i got around 25mins with the shutdown set at 3.2v per cell, punch 5 and timing 15 0, it is responsive and very torquey and its very controlled around corners and well balanced when jumping, its a tad skittish in a straight line but it could probably be tuned out of it.

top speed and runtime, when running hard i found this very reasonable for the price it is faster than my force 21 nitro 4x4 and the runtime was around 15mins before it shut off, bear in mind this was giving it a real pasting you couldnt run that fast around a track consistently, at the end the motor was hot but i wouldnt say any more so than some realy expensive cars i have played with.

build, the spoiler mount is a weak spot i broke it when bashing hard but thats the only part and a metal hop up is available, a cooling fan and heatsink is available for the motor and many other parts, the transmition side is very strong and is mostly all metal gears apart from the spur but even that has a metal hop up option (i did upgrade the servo saver to metal before bashing on advice of the shop keeper.

hope this will restore a little faith in the budget r/c

Mat
Old 05-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by x9moto View Post
i own this buggy, paid much less than that though, here are my thoughts...

i run nitro and used to race touring cars about 9 years ago when they were still brushed and running ni-cd! anyway i wanted to try an electric buggy for fun so i bought the above.

first thoughts out the box..... the radio gear is rubbish am 27mhz and looks real cheap but in the interest of afair trial i let it be for the first run... before i went out i balance charged the lipo's using a elysium lx60b balance charger, then i stripped the buggy and boiled all the plastic parts to prevent them from being so brittle (it really works) and threadlocked everything metal.

the range of radio, the range is suprisingly good i had it almost out of sight on an acre field and the safety never cut in once the controls are plasticy but functional and all seems ok.

the runtime, at light to moderate acceleration and speed i got around 25mins with the shutdown set at 3.2v per cell, punch 5 and timing 15 0, it is responsive and very torquey and its very controlled around corners and well balanced when jumping, its a tad skittish in a straight line but it could probably be tuned out of it.

top speed and runtime, when running hard i found this very reasonable for the price it is faster than my force 21 nitro 4x4 and the runtime was around 15mins before it shut off, bear in mind this was giving it a real pasting you couldnt run that fast around a track consistently, at the end the motor was hot but i wouldnt say any more so than some realy expensive cars i have played with.

build, the spoiler mount is a weak spot i broke it when bashing hard but thats the only part and a metal hop up is available, a cooling fan and heatsink is available for the motor and many other parts, the transmition side is very strong and is mostly all metal gears apart from the spur but even that has a metal hop up option (i did upgrade the servo saver to metal before bashing on advice of the shop keeper.

hope this will restore a little faith in the budget r/c

Mat
Hi I,m a newbie. I've bought myself the BSD land ripper and an Overlander RC-6S balance charger and have no clue (despite several readings of the manual) how to charge the RCLP3200 batteries without risk of death. If you could advise me what amps and for how long to charge I would be hugely grateful.

Rog
Old 23-07-2011

hi there i went into my usuall model shop and enquired about the car and the guy behind the counter couldnt stop going on about how good it was he said the he would be able to do me an offer on the ep 8 for 180 with hop up parts and a charger so that is alot cheaper than the car alone without all the accessories the only reason due to that is someone was going to buy it with hopup parts and backed down basicly meaning quick sale i have a madrat and i have spent over 400 quid on the parts for it i have a fusion exceed pro brushless kit in the car with some hopup parts eg new fully crome shocks a 4500nimh race battery with corrally tubes also brand new wing only to find out when i took it to the shop they said i needed a new pinion gear so it is currrently not running but a very cheep fix only 5 pound to get it running i have been needing to sell it for a while due to needing the money for my first car if anyone is interested atal please do reply