Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 02-09-2018

Default Converting Cougar 2 to On Road

Hey, first time poster looking for some advice.

I have an old Nitro 10 which I'm converting to electric, so I've bought a rather tired Cougar 2 and I'm swapping the necessary parts across.

A couple of questions, should the gearbox from the Nitro 10 just require the motor mounting plates from the Cougar to make it compatible?

Also, I'd like to make it an on-road car and fit a touring body. What dimensions would I be looking for? I'm guessing 200mm, but will I have to run narrow wheels at the rear?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2018

The body will be 235mm wide. I have a few old stock left including a mondeo and Alfa 155 new and a used merc. They should be able to use the gear box as a straight swap so the motor is out the back.
Old 02-09-2018

Thanks Kev, I'm interested in the Alfa body, send me a message if you're looking to sell it.
Old 03-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy77 View Post

A couple of questions, should the gearbox from the Nitro 10 just require the motor mounting plates from the Cougar to make it compatible?
It should do assuming the Nitro 10 is either a MK1 or a MK2 (engine sits at 45 degrees - easy way to tell if its a MK1 & MK2).

A MK1/MK2 Nitro 10 has more in common with the original Cougar 1 from memory, like the front wish bones and diff unit. But with the two cars you should be able to make a solid electric car.
Old 03-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH78 View Post
It should do assuming the Nitro 10 is either a MK1 or a MK2 (engine sits at 45 degrees - easy way to tell if its a MK1 & MK2).

A MK1/MK2 Nitro 10 has more in common with the original Cougar 1 from memory, like the front wish bones and diff unit. But with the two cars you should be able to make a solid electric car.

Thanks Adrian, It's an early Nitro 10, I've seen a lot of similarity between it and the Cougar, I've carried the rear shock mount and bracket over. I've also ordered the metal plate to fit the motor as the Cougar diff was a two piece plastic version and gear driven. I'd rather use the parts from the N10, which is belt drive. Looking forward to cleaning it up and getting it together now.